Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Mayhem Crash of 2012  (Read 106323 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: The Great Mayhem Meltdown of 2012
« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2012, 01:43:38 pm »

Good afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Sorry I've I've not updated everyone recently but the coffee and caffeine are not as effective after 2 or 3 gallons, some evening I
look at the options for fixing the forum and just stare at the screen blankly for a couple of hours while watching Mythbusters, they
really do have some budget for that show!

My next scheme is to create a blank forum using the new version on the forum s/w, and reinstate a backup until I find one that actually
works. The main issue being that I've been using the forum backup system for years, reassured in the fact that was the best option
only to find out it's actually a bit 'rubbish'!  In fact the real preferred option (PHPMYADMIN) isn't much better in that the only real way to
test a full backup is to restore it somewhere else and see if it works?!?!?

If that does work, I'll see if I can restore the membership / logons and see how much will be lost. There may well be a way of merging
 the recent post onto the resorted Forum but that a job for someone with unlimited resources, an offshore software company or an
infinite number of monkeys capable of writing all the works of Shakespeare!

Anyway, that's what I'll be doing this weekend.....

Is it such a big deal that your posts are no longer attributed to you? the information is still there for others to see.  I'm sure thats the most important thing.

Yes that my thinking too. Actually, I couldn't believe my luck when the Forum wobbled back to it's feet and all the posts were there, especially the pictures. I did a quick lap of honour round that back garden that night I can tell ya!!!

I've been told that I'm looking drawn and a little recently.... and for a black guy, that's not to good.   {-)

Keep posting the funnies, they do cheer me up!

Cheerio 'My Precious!'

HAHAHAHahahahahaha...... ( Maniacal laughter. Exit stage right. Fade to black.... )

Martin  %%

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »

Well done, don't lose your sense of humour Martin.

Jimmy
“Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »

As you requested Martin

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:44 pm »

or an
infinite number of monkeys capable of writing all the works of Shakespeare!

Martin  %%

we have been using these ones at work recently for some database modification and verification.  I'm sure I can arrange for them to help you on an ad-hoc basis subject to a satisfactory renumeration package.... I hear they are very fond of outspan and Fyffes
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:34 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-)  like it! :-))

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »

....the only real way to test a full backup is to restore it somewhere else and see if it works?!?!? ...

I simply run an incremental file image backup for my web sites using IceMirror, and then copy the results to a DVD once a fortnight, and load onto a spare machine (which then becomes the standby...

Quote from: essex2visuvesi
Is it such a big deal that your posts are no longer attributed to you? the information is still there for others to see.  I'm sure thats the most important thing.

Yes that my thinking too...

I miss the PMs I had with contact data - and when someone comments on an old post I had contributed to, I can no longer easily see if there is an update to that post...

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »

we have been using these ones at work recently for some database modification and verification.  I'm sure I can arrange for them to help you on an ad-hoc basis subject to a satisfactory renumeration package.... I hear they are very fond of outspan and Fyffes

Strewth mate in OZ, he would get a job as a top deck intellectual  O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »

TOO late,
that is David Cameron's top advisor  {-)
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2012, 09:20:19 am »

got nervous just...had a few 504 timeouts
makes me jumpy now  :-))
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Very Good

Gave me something to listen to while I suffer another  504.     {-)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

catengineman

« Reply #336 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »

Mmmm got my first 504  <:(

Then when I did get back to the site I tried to select a different page and the system froze, had to close the page then restart.

As this is my first problem I am possibly lucky, reading some of the posts !!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:13 pm »

Maybe because we are down under  O0 O0 , since the meltdown, I am getting a lock up, the site freezes when I try and log out.

Have to shut down my browser and reopen the browser/site then I can log out. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2012, 02:54:53 am »

Maybe because we are down under  O0 O0 , since the meltdown, I am getting a lock up, the site freezes when I try and log out.

Have to shut down my browser and reopen the browser/site then I can log out. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

have you tried with a different browser  ??
works fine on my firefox
although i have recently had some websites that wont work well in firefox but work fine in internet explorer ( or vica verca )
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »

Martin.
My previous name before the meltdown was Returnee, is there any chance of getting the messages I had saved transferedto the name I have now as I would like to get at some of the information and I cant get to see them now .
Regards,
Gerard

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:16 pm »

.... I'm still looking into that Gerard....  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2012, 11:22:55 am »

I'm not that fussed about amount of posts etc but i used to go through my profile to see where i had posted so i could check back on old threads links etc. also i saved some pms with useful info it's a shame that's all lost.

Dave

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »

Couple of times after signing in, when I've pressed the "Login" button I've receive a change profile instruction screen and also after posting, at times it's difficult to log out, the screen "Hangs" and I have to leave explorer, start explorer again, sign into MBM again to then Logout otherwise I'm still lit up on the forum but can't make an entry. Yes, I'm on IE and no, I don't want a different one. Any web site programme generator worth his salt makes sure ALL work properly.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2012, 01:40:41 pm »

Couple of times after signing in, when I've pressed the "Login" button I've receive a change profile instruction screen and also after posting, at times it's difficult to log out, the screen "Hangs" and I have to leave explorer, start explorer again, sign into MBM again to then Logout otherwise I'm still lit up on the forum but can't make an entry. Yes, I'm on IE and no, I don't want a different one. Any web site programme generator worth his salt makes sure ALL work properly.

Regards  Ian.

Having similar problems trying to log out the site hangs.
Also after posting a comment the site hangs like now.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »

Sorry Raaarty, just seen your post 339, exactly the same at times.

Nearly in the same words of a well known film - "Martin, you're going to need a bigger BAT"   (NOT Bateau)  {-)

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #345 on: May 07, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »

There seem to be lots of 504 timeouts today, it makes you wonder if the servers just can't cope with the extra traffic at holiday times .......
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2012, 01:58:16 pm »

There seem to be lots of 504 timeouts today, it makes you wonder if the servers just can't cope with the extra traffic at holiday times .......

Don't know that the traffic/extra traffic reason holds up.

My difficulties, I am in Australia, seem worse when your side of the world is out to it.

The host should be able to provide numbers when and at what times peak loads are achieved and they can be matched up with the glitches.

Could be the host slows/shapes the site or such "out of hours"???????????????????

Just got worse very slow to post this then got a 504 and had to log back in.

Checked site figures 93 guests and 29 users? less than at normal times.???????????

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »

Checked site figures 93 guests and 29 users? less than at normal times.???????????

That may be because the server is disconnecting the rest....   {-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2012, 03:44:33 am »

The frequency of the 504 errors is not going to be entirely based on the number of users concurrently on the site, but also on what it is that they are doing.
From what I can tell (and with the help of a little Googling) the 504 error is reported by the Nginex webserver not getting a response back from the PHP-based forum software within a certain time. There could be a number of reasons for this... While the "spec" of the server (RAM, CPU etc) do have an effect on this, the architecture of the underlying software can mean that having multiple CPU's might just result in having any additional CPU's sitting idle, and if heaps of RAM is available, only that RAM up to a certain limit is actually used.

While I find the occasional 504 error annoying, I think we should remember how bad it was when the forum went away entirely... Lets face it - we can all log in, we can all post, we can all respond, we can all enjoy our hobby - Martin's doing a great job.

I have been in the situation where the failure of an IT system that I was responsible for took down an entire business and believe me it's not fun (and we have way more than the number of users this forum does to worry about), so I feel for Martin very deeply and I'm absolutely certain it will come right in the end.
Alister

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: May 08, 2012, 09:17:25 am »

Please bear in mind there are frequently over 100 users accessing this forum, which is a heck of a lot more than many others I read, with most accessing searching and dowloading content.

OK, occassionaly I get a 504 time out.  I get on with something else for 1/4 hour then try again.  Invariably it then opens up fine.

When posting sometimes it goes 504 during the post upload, however almost every time the post does come though.
Suggestion:  If writing more than a two or three sentances I compose in Word which has a better spell checker, then copy paste into the reply box.  I leave the temporary Word document open until I can see it's gone through, just in case.

No big deal.  I am just so grateful that Mayhem is back up and running after the meltdown.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.