Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Bob's H.M.S. Polyphemus  (Read 243337 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), not quite a submarine
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2013, 04:49:38 pm »

:-)) Got my eye on this!

Good luck!!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), hull rework
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

Thank you Andy.  Much appreciated.  I will get there
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »

...Instead of a pump bright flashing LED’s are activated if any of the six bilge sensors detect water.

The School of Belt and Braces would have me leaning towards connecting the tank pump and LEDs into one, unified, get-me-home special.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2013, 09:01:41 pm »

Nice one Andy, saves doing it manually if the alarm lights flash.  With tanks blown she should still float with 2 of the 6 'dry' compartments flooded.  What I really need is a very shallow lake for trials, just in case.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #379 on: January 19, 2014, 05:12:28 pm »

Hi Bob

Hope the Polythemus project is still going on, and be on the water again.
I found this interesting book about the Victorian navy with an artists impression of Polythemus on the dust cover.

It's got some pretty amazing pictures of other vessels, my favourite is HMS Powerful at speed.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #380 on: January 19, 2014, 06:02:45 pm »

Thank you Nick.  She looks beautifully "odd" in that picture, which is why she fascinates me,

I have to admit I have not been able to do much in the workshop lately.  Pressure of non boating activities.
She is still on the workbench, waiting for the rebuild of the electrics (for which I have most of the parts).
Side tank sealing appears to have gone well.  The Capt Tolley's sealant and liquid rubber internal coating.
What I could really do with is a shallow body of water for serious testing.  ie  Wadeable.  You can only generate so much confidence with a bath tub, not being able to get it up to speed with wash coming over the foc's'l'e. This time I will have a Hunter bilge pump controller monitoring the compartments.

No way will 'C in C Home Forces' allow me to start another build untill I complete this one. 

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #381 on: January 19, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »

Hi Bob

Glad you liked the picture, and good news that Polythemus will be operational again once C in C Home Forces has released you from shore duties. You could always say that Polythemus has transferred to the Mediterranean and a new ship is required for the home fleet!  %)
I've not been able to work on the Majestic last week due to shore duties too, not from my C in C Home Forces but the junior service management and a variety of torque wrench calibration checks keeping me busy for many hours! <:(  Oh well like they say, that's life in a blue suit! {-)
Look forward to your progress when the build restarts.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #382 on: August 19, 2014, 09:49:05 am »

HMS Polyphemus

This project has been on the back burner for some months following some major technical problems, not least of which required recovery from 2 m depth.  This semi submersible torpedo ram was a bit ambitious with its twin bow rudders; smoking funnel and engine sound.

The Story So far

The main problem was in using clear Lexan for bulkheads and underdecks (for visibility) and that Silkaflex 221 mastic did not provide a reliable bond to the hull and saddle ballast tanks.  As previously detailed remedial work involved Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack cure, a “swilled” additional epoxy resin internal coating, plus liberal application of liquid rubber in each tank.  Numerous hours of bath testing has raised confidence in its longer term watertight integrity. 

I could just seal off the ballast tank slots, but that would be a last resort.  The original ship was semi submersible and the aim was to replicate that function, which it did semi successfully over three one hour sailing sessions.

In trimmed down attack mode the original ship had seas breaking over the f'o'c'sle and along the main deck.

Trimmed down

Back in Dry Dock

After immersion at depth a major rework on the electrics is necessary.  For simplicity during testing I will temporarily remove the Mister and sound system, and trial it on a single 12V SLA.  Quite a lot of extra ballast will be needed for this phase.  The control panel will need to be rebuilt as this has both physical and electrical water damage. 

I now have a Hunter Systems bilge pump controller with separate sensors to each of the six compartments. Rather than fit six pumps the controller output will flash 10mm blue warning LED's if any compartment starts flooding.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:20 am »

.......... %) .....this has been a long term project for you Bob.......& we have read every line of every post to date  {-) {-) {-) ...including some of the challenges.......:o ......good luck  keep us posted......O0....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: August 19, 2014, 11:31:23 am »

Much appreciated Derek.  Thank you.

For any new to this build, this photo shows HMS Polyphemus at low profile full speed.

A massive ram to break harbour defence booms, five submerged torpedo tubes to cause havoc once inside, and six four-barrelled Nordenfelt machine guns in turrets for defence.  Most of the light superstructure was 'sacrificial', an early stealth ship.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:21 pm »

I have just found this topic Bob and having read the whole piece I am amazed at the tenacity you have shown in not throwing it against the wall and going for several pints of something hoppy and perhaps amber coloured!

My one worry with the swilled sealants and gap fillers is what they have done to your valve ports. Are they clear? I assume they have not been irreplacably clogged or locked shut and that they are easily accessible to poke clear or replace. Like with so many huge projects, experienced advice aside, it can be a one step forwards-two to three steps back. I have to admit to seeing the early installments of your project and thinking you should have gone for common materials to make your ballast tank walls.

Still, take heart in the enjoyment you have given us and the skills you have learnt from your efforts and the ideas and advice that fellow Mayhemers have contributed over the years. You are nearly there Bob, there is a steam ram shaped light at the end of the tunnel and it is quite large!
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:22 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to read through the whole saga (tee hee!)

The inlet and exhaust air ports are bonded-in brass tube stubs which are easily accessible. I had removed the flexible plumbing before remedial work so will fit new pipework, valve and pump, later.  Ballast is vented through four slots in the base of each ballast tank, which I used to insert the additional sealants.  Easy to clean up as they are in the base of the hull.

I am currently working on rebuilding the control panel, switches and charging connectors, this time using miniature IP67 sealed 5A switches with shortened rockers.  Not a lot of room !

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »

ballastanksian....sometimes we have thought Bob's project in thixotropic sealing materials did display a great degree of tenacity  :o

Bob K....whilst the micro switches may be rated to IP67 how about the wiring connections?  :embarrassed:

That coding is still a little vague as the 67 signifies "protection against immersion" where as 68 is "protection against submersion"

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: September 01, 2014, 06:47:42 am »

In the words of vic reeves "you wouldn't let it lie!"

Bob I really admire the hard work you have put into this
Not much hair left now I'm guessing
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #389 on: September 01, 2014, 07:02:17 am »

"thixotropic":  Sounds like a word from an early issue of Readers Digest. There have been times when a Shaken (or) Stirred Martini would have gone down well, and I have been tempted to fit a duff LiPo and give it a full Viking funeral  %%

Previously I had used standard rocker switches with sealed-in splash proof covers. Using IP67 toggle switches should give better protection from any water breaking over the bow.  Providing the watertight hatches and bulkheads stay sealed it is just the external part of the switches that are exposed. IP67 is supposed to be good for immersion up to 1 m.  Much of the internal water damage was from when the internal bulkheads to hull joints failed.  Hopefully I have fixed that.

The main impetus for completion is that C in C Home Forces will not allow me to start another build until I have finished this one.  For my next challenge . . .

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: September 01, 2014, 07:36:47 am »

%).....your glues that never set when adhered to Lexan...... {-)

"Thixotropy is a shear thinning property. Certain gels or fluids that are thick under static conditions will flow over time when shaken, agitated, or otherwise stressed. They then take a fixed time to return to a more viscous state".............................................courtesy of WIKI..........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #391 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:31 am »

Also, Thixotropic agents are added to substances such as silicone rubber and resins to allow you to paint them over items to be moulded/cast without them running (albeit slowly in the case of RTV silicone!) off the master.

Now remove that block of jelly from the roof and make a nice dessert with it. Go on, waste not want not:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #392 on: September 01, 2014, 09:43:45 am »

A bit late but you might find this interesting:

http://www.cityofart.net/bship/polyphemus.html

Regards

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #393 on: September 04, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »

Yes, I have those images, thank you

HMS Polyphemus

One disheartening aspect of rebuilding a sunken ship is every time I look inside it is such a mess that I put it away again.  However, a start must be made.  First up is the intricate control panel which suffered significant water damage when the compartments flooded, not from water getting in topside.  Even so, improvements can be made.

Control Panel
  Original

Rather than use rockers with waterproof covers this time I am using IP67 protected toggle switches, good up to 1 metre depth.  A mounting structure was fabricated from ABS into an almost solid block, which also supports the sides of the two sealed charging connector compartments.   Levers shortened to clear the multi-magnet secured f’o’c’sle deck above.

I dislike lake-side dismantling, and unnecessarily disturbing connections under WTC hatches. The circuit below shows how the main power/charging switch works.  Rated 5A at 28VDC, it does not switch under load but I have still ganged two poles.  The other switch uses each pole to switch the other batteries at low current.  Ensures everything is off when charging.  LED’s confirm when ‘on’, plus LED’s to indicate pump and air release valve operation.

Power / charging switch

The control panel is sealed down.  Soft rubber deep-sleeved plugs over the O-ringed 4mm charging sockets. These sockets are additionally epoxy sealed around the terminal pins. 

Just remains to rewire everything behind there.  Not a lot of room.   %%

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:04 pm »

May the force be with you Bob!

Just to let you know that I took three models to Mayhem this year and ALL of them started to sink. One French Cruiser, a 1908 submarine and a modern waterjet launch. I'm, therefore, in the same situation as you and will be immensely happy to buy you a pint at Mayhem 2015 when your fortitude will be shown to have been worthwhile!!!

Cheers in advance :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #395 on: September 04, 2014, 08:33:41 pm »

Much appreciated Tony.   Once the control panel is rebuilt there will not be much to photograph for a while. Lots of rewiring: Replacing pump, air valve, micro switches, connectors, batteries etc. Even wiring fittings are corroded as it was on electrical power when it went down. 

When I can get all that done the light at the end of the tunnel will be laying the deck planking, finishing the superstructure and building all the fittings. Almost all fittings will be scratch due to its unusual scale.  Detailing is what I love most  O0

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #396 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »

Hi,
As Bob K requested I post pictures of my HMS Polyphemus, bow torpedo tube and retractable rudder system, here are some shots.

Descriptions, explanations replied to if needed.

Regards

Ian

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2014, 08:28:21 am »

That is so impressive Ian, not only in getting the bow rudders to work in such a tight space (like mine) but in getting them to retract too  :-))  Also loved the working bow torpedo tube cap when I saw it at Deans Open Day.  With your bow section free flooding I take it that this is all removable for periodic cleaning and maintenance. 

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:47 am »

Bob, I keep dropping in to check progress, and see how the various problems are being solved. Did you expect to still be at this stage two years after starting? Any completion date in view yet?
Ian

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2014, 10:41:26 am »

From starting the R&D it has indeed been two years, but it had been put on the back burner for almost a year.  After catastrophic bulkhead failure/s I have been in no hurry just to patch up and re-launch.  I needed to assess the issues and trial solutions.  After the tanks reinforced and compound sealed she has spent a lot of time in the bath, testing.  No hurry, no deadlines.

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.