Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a static 1765 English Frigate  (Read 66870 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building a static 1765 English Frigate
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:51 am »

Thank you kind sir.  I so enjoy doing this and it sure fills the time during the dark months in the great Northwest.

Cheers,

Dennis :-)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:46 am »

Thank you for yet another new rigging term - the futtock shrouds.... but what / where are the futtock staves??

[Edit] Never mind, I think I found the futtock stave - that is the piece of timber that the bottom end of the futtock shrouds is lashed to.....[/Edit]

Amateur at work...

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 05:22:57 am »

That is correct about the Stave.  My plans do not show the lashing between the staves, but yet,  I have seen it done and will probably do it.  So many variations and probably dependent on time period.  Yes, everything on one of these ships has a name and purpose and I will never know them all.  Its a given that I will be leaving some details out.  Wither that is a bad thing or not... depends on who you talk to.  I as the builder, am the only person who knows the detail that is below decks, never to be seen.  Why do it?  Made me feel good.  I keep remembering a comment made by a casual observer of one of my models..."gee, look at all the sticks and strings". That spoke volumes to me.  We do it for the joy and always strive to improve the skill and learn.   To me, this is like keeping history alive.

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:04 pm »

Ok, moving forward.  Trestletrees and cheeks installed on lower main.
Dennis

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »

...Trestletrees and cheeks..........
Aha some more new pieces with names....

Amateur at work...

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »

Yes, well.... ultimately, it just becomes a bunch of "sticks and strings" anyhows.  But, its fun trying to keep the history alive.

Regards,

Dennis

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:33 pm »

Hmmmm... "sticks and string"...
For me, I prefer the real names for these items - I have a shopping list of names for bits now.....
My wife and I are presently assembling a kit of USS Enterprise here ("Old Ironsides"); I am finding these terms are really useful.... also shows the shortcomings of the kit - for example, the picture on the box shows the boat with futtock shrouds but they are not on the plans and are not mentioned in the assembly "manual". If it were not for your mention of the futtock shrouds, I would not have gone looking for them, nor would I have been able to describe the part of the rigging that I wanted to refer to...
Thank you and keep them coming.... :-)

Amateur at work...

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 09:36:23 pm »

I applaud you sir on doing a "joint" effort on the model build.  May I suggest two books for your library. "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860" by James Lees (still good rigging info for U.S. ships) and "A Modeller's Guide to Rigging" by A. Richard Mansir.  Most helpful for those missed terms in kit building.  Would love to see of pics of your build sometime.

Regards,

Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 07:38:42 pm »

Ok, I have "Fished" the lower main mast and started application of mast bands.  I like to use my copper taped that was used to make plates for the hull bottom.  I cut thin strips and apply with my handy rub stick.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 08:09:49 pm »

Lower main mast banding done and cross trees installed.  Top will be planked and built proper fashion.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:14 pm »

Bolsters installed and coppered.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:57 pm »

Lower main top is now planked, battens installed, rim in.  Holes drilled for deadeyes and crowsfeet.  Lamp and rail installed.  Next is painting then stepping the mast for good.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 08:48:01 pm »

Lower main mast is painted and stepped.  Next I start the lower shrouds and ratlines.  I'll be quiet on the posts while that happens.
Dennis

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 09:18:24 pm »

Looking very nice... A question if I may, how long is her hull?

Andrew

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »

Her hull is 2ft, not including Sprit.  Total over-all length will be 3ft from end of Bowsprit to tip of Mizzen Boom.  Main top will be 26" from waterline.  I've been giving her size some thought, as she will be cased when completed.  I have just the perfect spot to display her in our entry way.  My very first ship model is there now.  A square topsail'd schooner of the "Rhoda Mary".

Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:11 pm »

Tending to lower main mast shrouds and deadeyes.  In use is a spacer I made to maintain uniform distance between deadeyes.  As lanyards are tightened, distance is evened out.  Rigging can be a deal breaker in any model.  Slow and steady as she goes!
Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »

Dennis:  Please keep updating us on your great progress.  This is one of my favourite ever build threads.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:53 pm »

Good day folks,   Been busy with installing lower main shrouds.  Just finished getting in the Preventer Stay, hearts and lashings.  Stay moused and whipped.  Installed the lower main staysail halyard, blocked and tied to main mast pin rail. (first of the running rigging).  Attaching some pics and close up of the lower main tophead which I like to call the "Holly Street Pileup".  Its kinda cool when all the looped stays converge and pile on top of each other.  Next will be the main lower forestay.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:23 pm »

Oops, sri.... "Looped Stays" should say "Looped Shrouds".  Ackkkk.... all this termonology.  Should just stick to "Sticks and Strings".  {-)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:55 am »

Lower main forestay installed today.  Went ahead with Preventer Stay reinforcement lashing to main forestay.   I am always amazed at the technology envolved in ship rigging of this era.  Very logical and very strong.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:05 am »

Keep it up Dan. Beautifully done so far and lots ore to do. Makes me yearn to build another square rigger!!

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:06 am »

Here, here, looking real good!

Can I ask a question Dennis.... why do many modellers render the rigging black, when I believe in actual fact, should be light grey?.... I ask as I've done it myself in my Puffer I built!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:30 am »

Hullo Martin & I don't want to steal any kudos from dlancast  :o ....but it comes back to coal tar...........BLACK treacle like substance that needed to be heated to be applied to the ropes & yards as a water proofing treatment
It was also used to seal off any loss of bodily fluids after an amputation of a limb.....  >>:-( <*< ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:04 am »

Here, here, looking real good!

Can I ask a question Dennis.... why do many modellers render the rigging black, when I believe in actual fact, should be light grey?.... I ask as I've done it myself in my Puffer I built!

Martin,

In the old days of sail, and quite possibly in more recent times, the standing rigging was tarred to, as suggested above, protect it from the elements. This would then appear almost, but not quite black. The running rigging, i.e. the rigging that was used to work the ship was left a natural colour.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 04:12:46 pm »

Goodday sirs.  Well, looks like the question got a good answer and would expect nothing less.  The black was probably closer to a very dark coffee color, but did appear "black" for the most part.  And, of course the "running rigging" was not tarred.  "A Modeller's Guide to Rigging" by A. Richard Mansir gives a very good over view on ship rigging and practices and some good history.  Also, the internet has a wealth of info on the subject as well.  A number of the ship model kits would lead the modeler to finish the model "natural", with no coloring. (note my model of the Rhoda Mary pictured above.. built virtually per the kit instructions with no modifications)  As the modeler gains experience, and the research begins, a library is created and changes are made to better reflect accuracy in the model.  Being far from perfect, I could give a long list of the errors I have made on my models.  The 3ft rule truly does apply and certainly not to try to insult the general public, but the model is really a pile of "sticks and strings".. although beautifully and intriquitly rendered at best.  I like to render my standing rigging black and my running rigging with a variety of colors from light tan to dark tan.  I use linen line and acrylic paints and do a final wax.  I built a model of MacKay's "Flying Cloud" a number of years ago.  A 3 year project that was 90% scratch built along with a ton of research, the end result was a mass of rigging and chain that boggled my mind.  You had to sit and stare at it to begin to see the detail.  And... I did not rig her with sails, but did include a portion of the running rigging associated with sails.  I will probably do something similar with this Frigate model.  Hope you all are enjoying the build as much as I am.  Bring on the questions.
Regards,
Dennis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 21 queries.