Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: my 1st boat and clueless  (Read 8708 times)

rich.h44

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
my 1st boat and clueless
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:11:54 pm »

hi guys well iv been given this lovely balsa wood boat, iv not a clue what it is, i have a few rc cars so thought i take this on and have tinker to see if i can restore its, the hull looks in good condition but there are a few pieces missing from the cabin, i plan to repaint the hull in black and red the deck varnish and the cabin white,
iv never had a boat before so i dont have a clue what im in such as engine,servo,radio, battery lay out what so ever! (so if anyone has any good links please post the thank you  :-)) )
 anyway here it is

oh and what kind of boat is it?

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
Re: my 1st boat and clueless
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:44:12 pm »

possibly a raf rescue tender,looks like the petrol engine has seen it`s day,and by the way welcome to mbm

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »

i would suggest swapping out engine for electric. Not many waters like the petrol engines.
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

David Shaw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »

The engine look like an old diesel made by Frog. I agree with using electric motor, but why not jion your local model boat club aswell. You will get lots of help.
David Shaw

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:21 pm »

Hi rich.h44

Welcome to the forum, it looks like a cross between a sea plane tender and an ASRL. I'm guessing that its approx 20 to 32 inches long. The hull number was allocated to a 68ft British Power Boat Co Hants and Dorset Air Sea Rescue Launch, other than that it look intact and a bit of tender love could return it to the lake side soon.
Regards

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:40 pm »

Hi there, it looks similar to this   http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/10_14/products_id/225   If you look at the layout of the superstructure and window positions, you will see what I mean.
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:33 pm »

thanks for the warm welcome guys iv been doing a fair bit of reading trying to get my head round things!
it is indeed a frog engine! and i would really love to get it working!(the engine is free and has compression)
can i ask way many waters don't like petrol/diesel engines? i'm just curious
i have a local club (i'm from hull) but i'm unsure when they meet)  so i'm  going to try find that out
thanks nick that's real helpful were do you find such info? its 35 inch's long that's measuring across the top of the deck if thats any help?

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:19 pm »

yes it does look very smiler to that, once ive got some of the cabin together ill get some more pics up to see what you think, it might make thing more accurate

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »

IC engines are generally mucky noisy little beasts that can leave oily deposits on the water, and frighten wildlife. You would have to find a ic engine friendly lake if you wanted to use it in the boat. You would be far better using an electric motor and electronic speed controller. It looks like the boat may have been either a free runner or only single channel RC as I can't see a throttle on the engine, only a needle valve, unless there is one on the other side. A good supplier of motors speed controllers batteries etc is Component Shop  http://www.component-shop.co.uk/ or Cornwall Model Boats   http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/ to name but two, have a look at the links section for many more. Good luck, I am sure the collective brains of Mayhem will help you all the way.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »

I think you're right PONick it looks a lot like a Range Safety Launch instead of a sea plane tender.

Hi rich.h44, I'm a member of the small craft group which research anything smaller than a destroyer.
They have published a few journals detailing the RAF Marine Craft service, the 2700 series usually indicates a 68ft ASRL. I would guess the model is built to approx 1/24 or 1/16 scale judging by the over all length.
1/24 for the ASRL
1/16 for the RSL
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:35:40 pm »

IC engines are generally mucky noisy little beasts that can leave oily deposits on the water, and frighten wildlife. You would have to find a ic engine friendly lake if you wanted to use it in the boat. You would be far better using an electric motor and electronic speed controller. It looks like the boat may have been either a free runner or only single channel RC as I can't see a throttle on the engine, only a needle valve, unless there is one on the other side. A good supplier of motors speed controllers batteries etc is Component Shop  http://www.component-shop.co.uk/ or Cornwall Model Boats   http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/ to name but two, have a look at the links section for many more. Good luck, I am sure the collective brains of Mayhem will help you all the way.

thanks for the info ill get a pic of the other side tomorrow, there is a special boating lake near were i take my rc cars and iv noticed a very noisy boat that's been on there a few times! ill have a look at them links aswell thank you, iv not decided what to do motor wise yet iv been trying to avoid converting my cars to brushless and lipo but that may change if i go leccy in the boat,

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:47:22 pm »

Another advantage to using electricity to power your boat is that you will have reverse......

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01:40 pm »

Nothing wrong with that engine that a little spit, Brasso and C4 wouldn't sort out!  %)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:12:37 pm »

Hi rich.
              first of all shame on all you RAF`ers for not getting this one the boy did give you a clue the name is in the motor

so from the "collective brain of the forum"  {-)  what you have is the "Frog RAF" launch.

Frank.   

http://www.vintagemodelworks.co.uk/?page_id=9    click the link for the blurb on the model and pixs

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:23:59 am »

I think you're right PONick it looks a lot like a Range Safety Launch instead of a sea plane tender.

Hi rich.h44, I'm a member of the small craft group which research anything smaller than a destroyer.
They have published a few journals detailing the RAF Marine Craft service, the 2700 series usually indicates a 68ft ASRL. I would guess the model is built to approx 1/24 or 1/16 scale judging by the over all length.
1/24 for the ASRL
1/16 for the RSL

Thanks that's good to know, I know nothing at all of this boat, I was talking about my rc cars when the guy I was working for over herad and asked if I wanted a boat? I replayed Iv never really looked at them but wouldn't mind, he came back and give me this, he said its been sat there for year and it will only be binned so I took it, I explained that I don't know what I'm doing but I would bring it back to show him once it's done

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:17 am »

Nothing wrong with that engine that a little spit, Brasso and C4 wouldn't sort out!  %)

A friend of mine who wants to sort it out said to leave it soaking in wd40 for a while?
What is C4

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:16 am »

Hi rich.
              first of all shame on all you RAF`ers for not getting this one the boy did give you a clue the name is in the motor

so from the "collective brain of the forum"  {-)  what you have is the "Frog RAF" launch.

Frank.   

http://www.vintagemodelworks.co.uk/?page_id=9    click the link for the blurb on the model and pixs

Cheers frank that looks exactly like I hope to get bit more done on it later and hopefully you will see the resemblance!

I just want to say a big thank you to you for your input as I realy didn't have clue what I was doing or were to even look of start!

One more question what kind of paint should I be useing?

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 09:09:02 am »

Morning Rich, soak your engine in any penetrating oil, or you could do it the old fashioned way and use parafin, to get all the scale off, use a hush puppy brush, ( a small wire brush with brass bristles, for cleaning suede shoes), but be careful you don't get bits inside the engine. You will have to source some diesel fuel, a mixture of parafin, castor oil, ether and a soupcon of amyl nitrate if memory serves.  http://www.modeltechnics.com/diesel.htm   
As far as paint goes, you can't go wrong with Humbrol paints, or Halfords spray cans for primer etc.

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:40 am »

Morning Rich, soak your engine in any penetrating oil, or you could do it the old fashioned way and use parafin, to get all the scale off, use a hush puppy brush, ( a small wire brush with brass bristles, for cleaning suede shoes), but be careful you don't get bits inside the engine. You will have to source some diesel fuel, a mixture of parafin, castor oil, ether and a soupcon of amyl nitrate if memory serves.  http://www.modeltechnics.com/diesel.htm   
As far as paint goes, you can't go wrong with Humbrol paints, or Halfords spray cans for primer etc.

Iv got some paraffin down at the allotment but Iv orderd some wd40 of a mate who makes it so I get it dirt cheep!
There's always a catch not been able to use normal diesel but hey ho, I'm going to try meet some guys from the local club and see if there's any diesels there of so Im going ask if I can buy a small amount of them to try get it running.
Iv been looking at some humberol stuff but I'm unsure how much I need? Iv also got another mate who works at a paint store that makes marine paints so I may have a little word with him

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 11:17:11 am »

A friend of mine who wants to sort it out said to leave it soaking in wd40 for a while?
What is C4
C4 = disassembly aid.  After disassembly, the parts that cannot be found will need replacing.
Its an elderly watercooled IC.  The fact that it turns and has compression means it can probably be started, but can the watercooling bits be trusted?  It could be annoying to have it run out, spring a cooling leak, stop, fill and sink.  Broken cooling systems sink real ships, too.
Definitely a candidate for electric, though.  With modern gear, much easier to operate and you do have reverse, or, as boaties call it, "brakes".  Its probably ply, rather than balsa.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 11:20:32 am »

C4 = BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
I would clean up the engine and sell on, restore the boat and fit electrics, less faff time and you can use it in more places. Lovely looking project you have there. Will be going past you tomorrow night, I am off to my caravan at Easington so go through Hull...so, hello *waves* and see ya... :D

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 11:20:53 am »

If there are any "Old Fa8ts" in the local club who were brought up using Diesels, far better to entrust them with the rebirth of the Frog 349 BB than trying to force it back into life. If it was run and not cleaned out before "storing" it, the ball bearings will be gummed up and the only way to clean (or in worst case replace) them will be a complete strip down, no, the engine. This requires a knowledge of how it works to avoid kna-- err ruining it. Even turning it over before a thorough cleaning can screw it up.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 11:37:37 am »

%%  PLEASE don't use parafin if you are stripping the engine as parafin has a lot of water in it and it will rust the bore and bearings,better to
use petrol but be careful of the fire risks.I have an old E.D. sea otter which I have had man and boy for 50 years, I have cleaned it using this
method and she still runs like a dream,you can fuel from Just Engines on the web,Ray {-) {-)
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »

again thank you all for your input, the engine at the moment is the last of my worries i just want to get the cabin built and compleat then i can consentrate on the paint job, i really want to chuck it in the bath to see if it floats but im to scared in case it leaks. {:-{

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 12:57:42 pm »

so after looking the abouve picture i can kind of see were things go, i still need to strighten the other side out as its all bent,twisted and snaped so heres what its looking like at the moment, once iv got the side sorted and the front and rear glued togter i can start thinking about putting the floor in i think
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.