Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern Platform Supply Vessels  (Read 12727 times)

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Modern Platform Supply Vessels
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 11:24:33 pm »

Okay, time for a bit of clarification.
The vessels we get can work either side of our vessel, so if they are on our portside, we see their stbd side. If their on our stbd side, we see their port side......generally. The newer vessels tend to prefer working bow to wind, which is our orientation. This is because they have sufficiently powerful bow thrusters to maintain heading. Older, or smaller vessels with weaker bow thrusters tend to prefere working stern to wind, so the above views would be the reverse. Occasionally we get the same vessel working both sides of our vessel and I get the all round view.  :-)
Some details on new vessels that may add to the details of your own models are:
Signs - these have become the religion of the workplace safety culture. They are everywhere. If you're interested in making your own signs, then you might consider downloading the catalogue from our sign supplier Hi-Lite signs of Aberdeen. A little bit of copying, cropping and reduction might prove effective. I'm certainly going to give it a go when I get to that stage in my model. Try http://www.hi-litesigns.com/
Pipework colour code - small colour bands around the pipework to identify the product type. Not beyond the scope of a modeller and looks effective.
Vents - the photo I posted earlier are a standard natural vent for storerooms, lockers, offices, engine spaces (though the main engine intakes are much bigger louvered affairs). You could definately and authentically place these vents liberally around your vessel.
Aerials/ antennaes - nowadays with satellite navigation and communication, the monkey island handrails can have a dozen or more stubby aerials.
Waste Drums / Spill kits - Many vessels now have domestic type coloured wheelie bins to take segregated waste. The Spill kit or SOPEP kits are usually close to an area where oil may be spilt and contain absorbant material and other items to respond to a spill. Usually either yellow or orange 200ltr drums.
Did anyone guess the last photo? Wedding reception, childrens party?......getting warmer. The vessel was getting ready for it's weekly BBQ!  O0  It was more than the usual setup, but I don't think I've ever seen a tug without a BBQ somewhere on the back deck. We have one (and used it today!!) and there's also one picture in an earlier photo I posted - behind the Bourbon liberty FRC davit.
As to the question of plans and GA drawings, you can imagine that it would be difficult for me to ask all of these vessels for that information simply on the strength of having them available to me. There is also the language barrier; I'm a native English speaker, a lot of these vessels are crewed by native Portuguese speakers, although their English is usually good. The only way i could effectively receive the drawing would be electronically by email and therefore the size sent/received could be limited. Having said that........we do occasionally get a US or UK Mastered vessel and if one particularly takes my fancy, I think I will ask and see where that takes me. As for the others, it's not uncommon for vessel to have some basic plan as part of their vessel specification details (the Bourbon Liberty has one avialable here http://www.bourbon-online.com/en/fleet/psv  ). Other people have contacted the owners directly and I am frequently suprised when I hear that these companies have willing supplied plans for their vessels, for the use of making models.
I'll try to offer more comments and photos when I can.
Glyn

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »

Captain,
Please photograph everything and anything, they are all useful and will more so in the future. If you can, please do pictures of the whole vessel at first light and as the sun sets for some real atmospheric images.
I would also suggest that you, if you have not already done so, make a folder for each vessel and pictures in those as it saves much time and frustration when searching for that "special" picture. Don't forget as well to back them up.
LB

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 06:38:53 am »

:-)
your photos are a treasure for anyone who wants to make a Bourbon Liberty. Anyone who wants to make a nice nen model is never enough.
I built EDDA FONN , I have about 400 photos and I still missing. <:(

Thank you very much for model

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:49 am »

Please continue, along with your explanations makes it very interesting. Not everyday life for most of us.
All the best!
Hama

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 11:44:24 am »

Okay, more of the Bourbon Liberty (as I have them) and I'll see what I can do about 'atmospheric' pictures  :kiss:
I'll try an get some close up shots of specific items that could help the modeller with details.
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 03:44:26 pm »

I'm beginning to lose track of what I've posted  :o
Maybe time for a bit of variety.
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:29 pm »

More of the Bourbon Liberty.....but nobody said 'Stop!'  :-)
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 08:01:30 pm »

Sure you've not had enough!!!  {-)
Glyn

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:10 pm »

The last set was great. But how am I going to remember to create all that detail(and mess).
 %)

I also liked seeing the cargo with the lift lines all in place.
Perhaps a few with a lift under way.   :-))

Umi

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 09:40:03 pm »

My appetite for detail has been well and truly been satiated, thank you.
                                            Nemesis

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »

Well, it's nice to hear that I'm keeping someone happy.  :-) .
I'm busy with working a vessel right now but I'll post some photos of detail next which might be more useful, rather than the shotgun approach to detail which may have overpowered some.
Regards
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

This may interest some.
Just to point out that liferaft valises have labels on them. Manufacturers lables, launching instructions and specification details. The ends usually have the vessels name, manufacturers lable and maybe liferaft serial number. The next to last photo in this group is how we store liferafts in one location and is shown for general interest. I don't recall seeing liferafts stored like this on supply or anchor handling vessels. Doubles are usually stored on a ramp type framework.
Glyn
Oh and just to show how bad signage can get these days......but not normally as bad on tugs and supply vessels.

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 05:58:32 pm »

Glyn
Thank you for posting the picture's i for one am very greatfull :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) 
Detail picture's link the one's you have posted are very hard to come by

Kind regards Jason

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »

I know people that build all that...  :o

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »

A couple of photos of standard vents, different sizes and elevations. Also our Safety plan storage box placed where the emergency services would normally board the vessel. That is near the gangway and in our case another near the helideck. In many cases these storage places are cylindrical tubes, usually vertical, sometimes horizontal, but invariably painted red and marked up as 'Fire Control Plans'.
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »

I am always amazed at the details in some models and the lengths people will go to authentically recreate something. For my next batch of photos and to keep the purists happy I will photograph large areas of rust! .........what no takers..... {-)
The Maersk vessel modelled is an exceptional one indeed and sets the bar very high for us all. Hopefully it will motivate us rather than be overly critical of our own efforts. Well that's the way I'm looking at it.
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »

For those gluttons for punishment...read on.
Cameras - most tugs have them, be they supply or Anchor handlers. They are positioned were the view from the bridge is restricted or distant. They all have a zoom function so that the Master can get a close up of anchor work taking place, or even damaged equipment without leaving the controls. Cameras are frequently placed to view winch drums to watch quantities of wire out and whether the wire is stowing correctly. They usually have a pan and tilt function which is the type shown in the photos.
Door bars - these are tubes sometimes placed outside wateright doors that are 6 or 8 lever operated. They may be white but in our case red and are used to tighten down the door or open a door if it's been overtightened. So we have a tube on the inside of the door as well.
Pipework - this is usually painted the same as the background colour of the vessel in that location. Usually white around the accommodation and possibly grey, orange, green or whatever colour is predominant. The product within the pipework is, as I mentioned previously, identified by coloured banding and direction arrow tape. The pipework banding on the pipes is usually all together to keep it neat rather than each pipe having it's markings scattered. it can get confusing that way. The only pipework that is commonly accepted as painted one solid colour is the fire main; and it is red.
Incidentally I used to work for a Danish shipping company whose main clour for their ships was red! I seem to recall on those vessels the fire main was green. For every rule, there is an exception. :-)
Oh yes; for added interest I've included a photo of one of the two spare propellers we carry on board.
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:49 pm »

And a few more.......

Those who complain that their boats have sprung a leak should see the hole in my boat!

Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 10:06:26 pm »

Who was it asked for more 'atmospheric' photos?.......(  Liverbudgie     you know who you are  8) )

Well here's a gravity fall lifeboat davit with a full moon  :kiss:   :kiss:   :kiss:

Any more 'atmospheric' and you'll be buying me dinner and chocolates  {-)

Glyn

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:11 am »

I have a question about those liferaft canisters.  On larger ships there are usually many of them spread all over the place, always by the railings or the edge of the hull on deck.  On smaller vessels that may only have one or two, is there a rule as to where they are placed?  Can they be placed atop a cabin, for example, or must they always be placed where the crew have immediate access to them?  Are there rules about how close they can be placed to overhanging rigging or masts?
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 09:33:08 am »

:-)) :-)) :-))
special documentation
really exceptional
Thank you a thousand times

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:09 am »

NickelBelter,
Here is a summary of the SOLAS regulations 11 relating to liferaft embarkation:
1 Liferafts shall be stowed as close to accommodation and service spaces as possible.
2 Muster stations shall be provided close to embarkation stations but at least 0.35m2 per person
3 Muster and embarkation stations shall be readily accessible from accommodation and work areas.
4 Muster areas shall be adequately lit.
SOLAS regulations 13 - Stowage of Survival Craft
Each Survival craft shall be:
.1 Stowed so as not to interfere with other survival craft
.2 As near to the water as practicable.
.3 Ready to use and launched within 5 minutes
.4 Fully equipped.
.5 As far as practicable, in a secure and sheltered position and protected from damage by fire
4.1 Every liferaft shall be stowed with its paniter permanently attached to the ship
4.2 Each liferaft or group of liferafts shall be stowed with a float free arrangement complying with the Code so that it floats free and if inflatable, inflates automatically when the ship sinks.
4.3 Liferafts shall be stowed so as to permit manual release.
5. davit launched liferafts shall be stowed within range of the lifting hooks.
6. Liferafts intended for throw overboard launching shall be so stowed as to be ready for launching either side of the vessel. If this is not possible then additional liferafts must be carried so that liferafts can be launched from either side of the vessel.

Now this is very paraphrased and there are exclusions, so give me a break for misquoting. If you want to know more, then ask.  :-))

Glyn

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »

<*<
Who was it asked for more 'atmospheric' photos?.......(  Liverbudgie     you know who you are  8) ) Indeed I do!

Well here's a gravity fall lifeboat davit with a full moon  :kiss:   :kiss:   :kiss:   Very nice however, I was thinking more along the lines of the vessel against a dramatic sunset/sunrise or even better with a "green Flash"

Any more 'atmospheric' and you'll be buying me dinner and chocolates  {-)
Fair enough if you get me aboard your FPSO though I would I to give a lot of thought at bringing chocs along as well.. <*<

Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 01:59:59 pm »

For a while I worked as a Shell Marine Rep working on various vessels. Unfortunately most of my photographs were submitted with my reports but I managed to find these of the Maersk Laser. The damaged Stevpris anchor was recovered during a semi submersible rig move west of Ireland. At the same time they were inserting swivels into the mooring chain. The photo shows a reluctant joining link being persuaded to separate with the use of a welded frame and a pancake jack. The last photo, also a job on the Maersk Laser, was repairing the buoyage around the Brent Bravo platform.
Regards
Glyn

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 03:18:01 pm »

The Maersk Laser is a relatively new Anchor Handling vessel and has an unusual gantry system that runs the whole main deck on tracks either side of the aft deck. The gantry crane has a hoist of about 5t (if I remember correctly) but is also fitted with two manipulator arms. These arms are controlled from a 'cyber chair' on the bridge next to the vessels main DP controls. The idea is to handle chain and moorings remotely, thereby keeping people out of harms way. It's still going through it's early teething stages but you can see one of the 'arms' in the background, between the flukes of the Stevpris.
Glyn
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.