Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: To our Australian friends  (Read 13282 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: To our Australian friends
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 11:47:21 pm »

The best Scottish player................ %) %) %)
Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 05:18:09 am »

Barry, it seems to me, from English sports press reports, that he is only a Scot when he loses, when he wins he's British :-)

Peter.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 07:44:51 am »

Now, now Peter,  Alex Salmond is trying to cause a rift between the English and the
Scots without you stirring the pot.
Geoff
English but married to three Scots (not all at the same time)
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 07:54:11 am »

I can't abide the guy, myself, after his remarks some years ago about him not being British, and therefore not supporting" British teams, plus his (imho) total lack of personality,...........but even I felt a certain great amount of pride, joy and happiness for him last night, especially when he climbed into the thronging swords of people to hug his mum............

My impressions changed, and I felt embarrassed and humbled by his achievements............

WELL DONE ANDY MURREY.!!!!! :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:14 am »

Geoff, I thought Edward I caused a rift between the English and the Scots in the 13th century, which has simmered ever since {-) , Alex Salmond is just keeping it going. Some of my ancestors came from Dunoon in Scotland, and others from near Sevenoaks, in Kent, (all of whom were free settlers) so I've got ties to both camps. I don't favour either side, although I do enjoy a good pipe band O0 .

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:32 am »

small world, Peter............we visit Dunoon every year whilst on our annual hols to largs. quick trip from Gourock on the Western ferries now that Calmac don't do car traffic any more..........a lovely little spot and some very nice quaint little shops.

Have you ever visited there yourselves............. neil.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »

Yes we have, Neil, way back in 1993. My great grandfather, Archibald Currie and his brother Duncan emigrated to Australia from Dunoon in 1855, and settled near Lismore, northern NSW. They named their farm Dunoon, and this name was eventually given to the village which now exists nearby. When Lismore was declared a municipality, in 1879, Archibald was one of the first Lismore City councillors, so my family, on my mother's side, has a long association (by Australian standards :-) ) with this area.

Peter.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36:49 am »

But the English did have their secret weapon, The Kiwi coach of the Aussies.
cheers
vnkiwi   :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:15 am »

Yes we have, Neil, way back in 1993. My great grandfather, Archibald Currie and his brother Duncan emigrated to Australia from Dunoon in 1855, and settled near Lismore, northern NSW. They named their farm Dunoon, and this name was eventually given to the village which now exists nearby. When Lismore was declared a municipality, in 1879, Archibald was one of the first Lismore City councillors, so my family, on my mother's side, has a long association (by Australian standards :-) ) with this area.

Peter.

I knew Lismore well when I lived in Ozz Peter......had a friend who's parents owned a farm just outside Liz and we'd motorcycle up from Canberra for holidays on the farm..........I cooked a traditional English Christmas dinner one chrissy whilst up there for all our mates, lol...bread sauce and all..........enjoyed the little town......nearly bought a water bed from a furniture shop on the main street to bring home with me......their name was Sullivan or Hatton, can't remember now in the mists of time, lol

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 08:11:45 am »

But the English did have their secret weapon, The Kiwi coach of the Aussies.
cheers
"English"?? The British and Irish Lions???
Barry M

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 08:23:51 am »

well, that worked  {-)
 %)
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 08:36:27 am »

"English"?? The British and Irish Lions???
Barry M

and two thirds of the final winning team on Saturday were Welsh...............suppose they have to be good at something......b****** awful at singing,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:18 am »

Ooh, now there's nasty isn't it.
Jerry.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:45 pm »

If you don't believe Neil, try listening (for as long as you can stand it) to Tom Jones. I rest my case. :P
Barry M

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:46 pm »

WELL DONE ANDY MURREY.!!!!! :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Yes well done, but now they are speculating he should get a knighthood.
People like David Beckham have done more for the country and charity,
and I think more deserving of that honour.
Still thats just my view.

john

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:04 pm »

Never mind all that, tomorrow the real battle starts. THE ASHES!!!

Peter, are you there?

I can't wait.. %%

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »

{-) This is the one I have been waiting for, the ashes are always great matches I will be biting my nails the ones on the end of my fingers not the metal things that would be silly,     Ray. {-) {-) {-)   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:45 am »

I'm here, Barry O0  I'm not too confident about the Ashes, although with Darren Lehmann as the new coach, we may have a sporting chance. I live in hope :-)

The Lions coach, Warren Gatland, is also a Kiwi, and he is also coach of Wales. No wonder 10 of the team were Welsh :o  Australia now has an Australian coach again, following Kiwi, Robbie Deans', sacking. Ewen McKenzie, the current Queensland Reds, and former NSW Waratahs coach, has been given the job. Hopefully he will be able to turn things around.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 06:59:55 am »

Peter,

Losing to a very good Lions team was no disgrace and does not mean that Australian rugby is broken.

As for the cricket team, well time will tell, but I do not see how a coach, 16 days into the job can turn what looks like a poor side into a good one. That said, it is a funny old game and anything can happen.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 10:43:21 am »

The Lions coach, Warren Gatland, is also a Kiwi, and he is also coach of Wales. No wonder 10 of the team were Welsh :o   

True Gatland is the Wales coach and yes he did pick 10 Welsh players to start in the final test... He had to pick a team he thought could win and like it or not Wales at the moment are the on form  team in the NH (back to back 6 Nations titles) and Gatland is without doubt the best NH coach at the moment (even if he is a Kiwi!!) He took a lot of flak for dropping O'Driscoll and even more for a predominantly Welsh starting 15.

I am now really looking forward to the Rugby World Cup in 2015 with Wales, Australia & England in the same group, can't wait!!!!

Paul..

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 03:31:33 pm »

When was the last time Wales beat Australia......? :P   
As for the Ashes: well, yes, I'm almost certain that, possibly, I might, with the right wind and if the runes are favourable, more or less, get enthusiastic about the bat and ball game but I have my doubts.  :P
Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:53 pm »

Barry (Footski), a lot of Australia's problems were caused by poor discipline, both on and off the field, and former coach, Micky Arthur, seemed unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Darren Lehmann, on the other hand, will stand no nonsense, and may just be able to focus the team on playing good cricket.

Day 1 of the test was quite remarkable, with Australia's bowlers dominating England, but our batsmen were unable to keep the momentum going. 14 wickets in one day, on what appeared to be a good track, is unbelievable. Day 2 should be very interesting.

Australian Rugby is certainly not broken, but it is rather dented at present. We have the players, and it will be very interesting to see if Ewen McKenzie can get them playing to their full potential.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 07:23:08 am »

You are quite right Peter. We have a lot of respect for Lehman over here in Europe. Still after another incredible Ashes day, I am really looking forward to tomorrow. I don't know about you, but not much gets done when the games are on!

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 03:04:00 pm »

When I posted the above last night, I was wondering who on earth Ashton Agar was.......well today we know.......Absolutely incredible from the young man. We reckon, you Aussies picked him as a batsman but old us he was a bowler.....Very well done to the young man. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 01:19:21 am »

Even for Australians it was a case of Ashton who??? He was picked as a bowling all rounder after playing the grand total of 10 first class matches, so the selectors obviously saw something in him. His selection was certainly vindicated after last night's (our time) performance; the best score ever in test cricket by a number 11, and a record last wicket stand with Philip Hughes. Mind you, after the middle order debacle something special was needed. I believe that, given Australia's tendency to collapse in the middle, England are still favourites, particularly with Pietersen still at the crease.

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.