Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hannibal-Majestic class Pre-dreadnought  (Read 156145 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Hannibal-Majestic class Pre-dreadnought
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »

Hello everyone

On the crisp frosty/icy morning of Sunday 28th December 2013 at 1045hrs HMS Prince George was launched and given steam trials at Wicksteed Park model boat lake. In company was the four funnelled cruiser HMS Niobe protecting the new battleship whilst she worked up. Mayhem member Victorian controlled 'Niobe' to ensure the still un-painted battleship 'Prince George' came to no harm, especially from the likes of 'Chuffy's' Lady Woos tug and 'Bikerdude's' HMS Canada who were prowling around the launch site!
The new battleship responded well despite initial thoughts about her scale propellers from the likes of my Dad and turned with minimal use of the rudder. After 20minutes however, disaster occurred on the port prop shaft…
After many low speed runs the Prince George turned towards the harbour for a fast run to see what her ram bow looked like, but she seemed lethargic in the turn and then only responded on the starboard prop! With the high speed run aborted with Niobe fending off the predators I discovered that the port drive coupling was slipping letting the motor spin uselessly in it's housing.
The un-armed battleship returned to harbour with only one running prop shaft…

But she at least works, so sort out prop shaft coupling and she will back on the water when she is painted (and armed with her 12inch guns). Thanks to Victorian with his assistance at the lake today, and his many helpful ideas he has given me.  :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2013, 11:51:21 pm »

Congratulations Nick! It was great to be of service. I suggest we sail to the Med next time, in place of the Arctic. Brrr!

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2013, 08:23:10 am »

Looking good.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2013, 11:18:22 am »

Wow!  I just popped over the Irish Sea for Xmas and whilst I have been away so much progress, even to the first sea trials !!!  Well done  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:28 pm »

Congratulations Nick! It was great to be of service. I suggest we sail to the Med next time, in place of the Arctic. Brrr!

Agreed, it was colder than I thought it was but suppose the ice was a dead give away! At least the hull is the right colour for the China Station!

Hi Bob

You certainly missed the big launch, but the embarrassing mishap with the port prop shaft got more embarrassing... the coupling was not spinning, the lock nut was not tight and the shaft had unwound off the coupling! :embarrassed:

Today and last night I decided to look at the drawings again and realised that the 3pdr gun ports in the hull on the earlier Majestic's were a different shape compared to the later Hannibal, Illustrious and Caesar,etc.
I filed off the the moulded in detail (sorry Ron)- I did try to change the shape with a file but made such a mess of it I decided to replace them all with litho-plate sheet!
At least I can use the etched brass hinges from the kit, there is a lot of them!
I finished off the toilet waste chutes on the starboard side using 4mm square plastic strut and some 0.1mm plastic sheet.
And finally the steps/ladder blocks on the hull are being started again, I had to buy to some very fine tweezers to hold the tiny 0.5mm square and 0.25x0.75mm plastic strut, I have to stop after 6 steps are made to stop me going cross-eyed! {-)

P.S. Thanks Steve, hope you are enjoying the build as much as I am!

A better image of the mighty un-painted battleship HMS Prince George, thanks to Paul Millers aka Chuffy for the picture.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »

Well what a right berk!

My fault analysis was correct, the port prop shaft lock nut behind the coupling was loose, the shaft works again! :embarrassed:

So I took her upto full throttle, but remembering that the port holes were open to water at the moment so before full chat was applied I manoeuvred the model into calm waters (yes there are some at Wicksteed!).

I discovered that as I pushed the throttles through the forward command, the model responded well with regards to speed until approximately 2/3rds full throttle the model stopped accelerating and maintained a constant speed. So with regards to the props they are good enough for initial and cruising speed but they reach their maximum potential at 2/3rds applied power. Not bad for Victorian designed props. :-))

So now she sits on the work bench ready for the next build phase.
Nick B

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:30 pm »

love these early warships and I am enjoying your progress keep up the good work.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »

Hi hazegry

Thanks for the compliment, its nice to see forum members enjoy my build as much as I am. :-))
The model is going back to my barrack block room tonight for the next phase of the build, that's if I can get back due to the nasty weather we are expecting.
Nick B

Michael B

• Shipmate
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »

Hello Nick,
if you want to build the Hannibal more scale like, you must sand down most of the details on the hull (I sanded down every details only to rebuild them with photoetched parts). Your rebuild of the forward 12 pounder qf gun port looks very good. I can see that you rebuild the doors for the searchlight at the front, too. Do you made it in two peaces? (The original was made in three).
You have god an interesting steam7smoke generator. Did it made "good steam"? I´m searching for a good one for my Hannibal , too. (Most steam generators wich you can get at the stores make only a little smoke)
Michael

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »

Hello Michael

It's good to hear from you, hope you had a good Christmas in Germany.
I followed your advice via Colin East about the hull detailing, I have ended up sanding all the raised detail off after my little mess up trying to re-shape one of the 12pdr gun ports. I'm in the process of replacing the moulded ladder blocks with plastic card strip, once again shown to me by Colin of your build.
The searchlight doors (thank you for reminding me what they are) are made of a single piece of litho plate but to recreate the three piece door I have scored the litho plate with a scriber and glued the item back to front so the recess caused by the scriber is the glued side. The etched brass hinges are yet to be attached.
I have used a Marks Model Bits ( MMB) Foggy Unit Mk 1 for the smoke generator which runs on 24volts, it works better indoors but when the wind is calm enough a good amount of 'smoke' can be seen. There are newer versions on the market now but I have been shown how to make one of my own which produces more smoke than a commercial unit. I'll post some pictures of the home made version if I can get it to work! Hope your build is going well and hope to hear from you again. :-))

This week I have been concentrating on the stern walk again, after some studying of the drawings again I realised that my walkway was too low, I have cut off the old one and made a new one from the 1mm plastic card supplied in the kit but this time raised 5mm higher. After relocation was completed I cut out the guard rail for the port side. The kit supplies more than enough rail so after some careful measuring I cut off the excess and carefully using tweezers, I subtly curved the etched brass around the stern walk edge, you have to remember that the hull is curved inwards too, and luckily before I glued it I rememberer this too!
Using short strips of tamiya tape I glued little sections at a time and then using the tape to hold the rail in place whilst the glue dried. Once the glued had dried fully I removed the tape and sanded down the excess, and I must admit that it's one of the best of gluing I have done for ages- the brass guard rail is level and not bent out of shape, so I am a very happy modeller!
Nick B

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2014, 06:35:18 am »

ye ye ye.... Nick, just point the finger at me again... i have wide shoulders... I'll catch up with you again, at this years OpenDays  %)

you doing a grand job there Nick,

if you require any other usefull/useless ideas from me... you know were i am..  :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2014, 06:51:00 pm »

Hi Colin

Hope you don't mind me sharing both useful/useless ideas, they are far better than some of mine! :D
I've already got my leave planned for this year so fingers crossed we will meet again the open days.

Here is my port side sternwalk guard rail...

Just got to the other side next week!
Nick B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »

Goodness Nick.....that is a very delicate looking reversing shock absorber...... %) .....but the detail is great......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:23 pm »

Thanks Derek

I worked out that I spent over 2 hours just cutting, bending and gluing that single piece on to the model!
Got all that to look forward to next week! {-)
Nick B

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2014, 06:08:25 pm »

Hi Colin
Hope you don't mind me sharing both useful/useless ideas, they are far better than some of mine! :D
I've already got my leave planned for this year so fingers crossed we will meet again the open days.

i don't mind at all...... if it helps any of the readers there welcome...
then again, its probably why we are all here...

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »

Hi everyone

Not much huge differences have appeared in the last two weeks, just more drilling portholes and gluing rubbing strips, ash chutes and toilet chutes!
I thought I had finished making the 12pdr gun ports from litho plate, there are four per side, but looking at my copy of British Battleships 1889-1904 by RA Burt, and some pictures shown to me by Colin, that the aft gunport is open like the bow gunport so I have roughly marked it out in preparation for cutting out next week.

However, on a well known auction site I bought these genuine Victorian era prints of late Victorian Royal Navy battleships, for a start I thought that they were post cards but when they arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find A4 sized prints!

Until next time...   :-))

Nick B

jviewing

• Shipmate
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:51 pm »

What a bit of luck, they are original Chromolithographic prints from the Charles Rathbone book Her Majesty's Navy its deeds and battles printed by JS Virtue c. 1896. The ship prints are from original works by William Frederick Mitchell.     Jeremy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2014, 05:38:01 pm »

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for confirming the originality of the prints and where they originally came from. I've had them framed in a simple black frame to show off the pictures. Due to the poor images on the auction site I didn't know which vessels were portrayed- I had hoped one of them would be of a Majestic class battleship but they are just helpful in the history of the Victorian Navy, they are fascinating to look at though!

I've done a bit more work on the hull cutting out port holes and sticking new 4mm brass tube and acrylic rod to create the posh polished brass ring around the porthole. Not really worthy of photos, next pictures will be of the torpedo net shelves being marked out and pre-glued into position. Hopefully :-))
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2014, 06:38:13 pm »

Wowsers that is coming along great! What glue are you using to stick on the strip detail on the hull? I ask because I am paranoid about glue not doing its duty in all situations and will drill and pin as well unless there is a glue that will take the shock of collision whilst on the lake.

You cannot grumble at other boaters as we all occasionally have a scrape etc but the thought of replacing such detail on a lovely warbeast as yours would exercise me!

My thought was to use carbon fibre rod as it is very resiliant and probably harder than the hull except in extremis.

She looked glorious on the water especially alongside that gorgeous Cruiser! Damned fine work gentlemen.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »

Hi everyone

It's been a little too long since my last post on this build, however, I've been busy with porthole mass manufacture, over 100 4mm diameter brass rings with acrylic clear rods cut to length, filed, and test fitted!
The major task is to glue them all in and mask them up in preparation of initial hull painting. The hull will get some fine filler to cover the little gouges seen in the pictures.

The ladders are almost all complete, only one set to go! Each step is made from two pieces of plastic strip, and are spaced 3mm apart and are only 10mm long!

The correct shaped 12pdr gun doors made from litho plate and glued into place.

Wowsers that is coming along great! What glue are you using to stick on the strip detail on the hull? I ask because I am paranoid about glue not doing its duty in all situations and will drill and pin as well unless there is a glue that will take the shock of collision whilst on the lake.

You cannot grumble at other boaters as we all occasionally have a scrape etc but the thought of replacing such detail on a lovely warbeast as yours would exercise me!

My thought was to use carbon fibre rod as it is very resiliant and probably harder than the hull except in extremis.

She looked glorious on the water especially alongside that gorgeous Cruiser! Damned fine work gentlemen.

Hi Ian

Thanks for the kind comments, the cruiser is HMS Niobe and belongs to Mayhem member Victorian, a stunning build.
To answer your question about the glue I used, I use a thin cyno cryolite super glue from a kitchen manufacturer called Howdens, its primarily used to glue MDF doors together, we've yet to have any of the fittings fall off due to glue failure- just some of my terrible driving! I use a fine set of steel tweezers to hold the strip and them wipe the strip over the top of the superglue bottle, then hold gently against the hull and within a few seconds its grabbed. You do need to rough the GRP hull up a bit with some fine sandpaper but once its grabbed you need to cut it off with a knife if its wrong! Hope this helps.

Watch this space for the paint job coming soon!
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:22 pm »

Hurrah! I do not envy you the myriads of portholes you have had to make! And the identical number of little fill and repair jobs you have as well.

Still, in for a Penny as they say.

Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2014, 07:13:40 pm »

Hi everyone

Well, I eventually got to deck level, I'm marking out the deck edges using the laser printed sycamore planked deck. I'm using the 1mm plastic card sheet supplied in the kit to create the deck edge, and then cleaned up the moulding lines on the white metal bollards and fairleads and superglued them into place.
A bit of filler to blend it in and a nice deck edge ready for paint, only the other sides to go!!!

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2014, 08:22:33 pm »

Stunning ship Nick. Are the anchor platforms part of the GRP hull or do you have to install them?

I cannot wait to see that lovely model complete:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:47 pm »

Thanks Ian

The anchor platforms are part of the hull, and are very well moulded- nice and tough. It will certainly be the pride of my 1/96 scale battle fleet. :-))
Trying to get everything ready for paint (well the hull) by May bank holiday. %)
Nick B

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »

Looking very good Nick - How is the pre-dreadnought fleet review for Wicksteed progressing?

James
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.