Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173719 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »

the main up / down companionways from the  car deck to the upper deck have now been made....the thinner one which is the port and starboard companionway has been modified from an old one I made for the Clyde class lifeboat interior and I just added more treaders between the existing ones. the larger double one which is the main central companionway wan made of the same material and glued together with plastiweld. both these will be put into open moulds as easier to cast intricate parts with thin plastic walls ( no split halves) and moulded in polyurethane resin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2015, 09:25:06 pm »

because of the top hamper of the vehicles going on the car deck on this beastie, the rest of the fittings are to be made lightly.......the lockers made today are all hollow to keep weight down rather than make from blocks of obeche as I normally would........and more to come........just getting round to making them.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:00 pm »

I love this attention to detail  :-))

Fascinating to watch a craftsman at work  O0

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:18 pm »

after looking at all your work on the ferry carl, especially those companionway stair cases.........I feel more like a boggit and scarper than a craftsman {:-{ {:-{

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:17 pm »

A fascinating build Neil! :-))  Really impressed and slightly in awe of the detail and hand crafting! Loving the  pics! Something to aspire to! O0 O0
Now where did I put that?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:49 pm »

thanks guys.....appreciate the comments............guess we are on a losing battle now as scratch builders though, when you see the beautiful fittings being turned out on 3D printers.....and if I could afford one, think I'd be going down that route too, especially on such items as the companionways.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:48 am »

You're getting quite good at this caper Neil, you should consider taking up model boat building as a hobby {-) %%

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2015, 12:18:18 am »

You're getting quite good at this caper Neil, you should consider taking up model boat building as a hobby {-) %%

Peter.
I thought I was till I saw all carl's 3D printed fittings...........back to the drawing board, lol

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:06 am »

Neil, I have found that, no matter how good we are, or think we are, there's always someone better. In your case you don't have too much to worry about, you're doing a great job O0

Peter.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2015, 05:56:25 am »

Neil - I can assure you, the only skill I have in this regard is to be able to visualise something in 3 dimensions and then get it down on a drawing.  I find the actual crafting of solid objects extremely difficult and often a disaster!

The 3D stuff is all the creation of a machine...........

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:22 pm »

Neil, I have found that, no matter how good we are, or think we are, there's always someone better. In your case you don't have too much to worry about, you're doing a great job O0

Peter.

thanks guys, but I think you are too kind peter and carl........this is basic stuff I am making at the mo. neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2015, 11:20:17 am »

all detailing has now been added to the lifebelt , fire and other lockers along with oil header tank and W/T escape hatches except for the levers on some which can be added by small bore brass wire later.

the detailing was made by various sizes and shapes of Plastruct extrusions.

all will now be moulded where possible.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #437 on: January 18, 2015, 10:44:26 pm »

still working out whether I can mould all the larger lockers as they all have open bottom ends, and hollow, but have put all the bitts, capstan and other lockers and goosenecks into mould casting boxes.......will pour rubber into them tomorrow.........some are split moulds whilst others will be single moulds with the moulding poured in from the top.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #438 on: January 18, 2015, 10:51:30 pm »

This is absolutely fascinating for me!!!

Is that plasticine in half the moulds Neil? How do you press the part to be moulded into it without it breaking? Here I am thinking of the stair units.

One further question if I may - how do you decide between what parts will have split moulds and which will not?

As you can guess, I am about to embark on this little exercise soon with the Free Enterprise parts.....  :embarrassed:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56:16 pm »

This is absolutely fascinating for me!!!

1)Is that plasticine in half the moulds Neil?

2)How do you press the part to be moulded into it without it breaking? Here I am thinking of the stair units.

3)One further question if I may - how do you decide between what parts will have split moulds and which will not?

As you can guess, I am about to embark on this little exercise soon with the Free Enterprise parts.....  :embarrassed:

Hi Carl,

1)  yes it's plasticine.........I use modellers/moulders plasticine.....bought it years ago from Tiranti's in Reading, but you can use children's play plasticine ( but not playdo)but it's far more expensive pound per pound that moulders p.

2)I put the plasticine into the mould first, and then put the mould box onto the radiator to warm up.......just a little and then press the master into the plasticine and finally go around the edges with a thin scriber or end of a needle file to make a close fit between the plasticine and the master.

3)I chose those without a split mould such as the boxes and the bitts and capstan because they have all flat bottoms and it was the bottom of each master that touches the plasticine and will be open once the rubber has set......will show you that bit tomorrow when I have poured the rubber and it has set......it will explain easier in photo form.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #440 on: January 18, 2015, 10:59:27 pm »

Hi Neil

My goodness you have been busy! The masters look fantastic. :-))

Looking forward to seeing the moulding process, something I've not tackled so far!

Managed to get my voice back.....now in Sweden with work until Friday. I'll be in touch once I'm back home again.

Regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #441 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:46 pm »

yes, Andrew.....I must have missed an email from you...........what has been wrong with your voice..........have you been unwell?
neil.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #442 on: January 18, 2015, 11:09:26 pm »

Thanks for the explanation Neil - will look forward to tomorrows instalment..

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #443 on: January 18, 2015, 11:14:23 pm »

Hi Neil,

Yes, I sent an email just after new year.... Must be hovering in the www somewhere!!

So I guess...Happy New Year! :-)

Was floored by a throat infection and lost my voice while developing a wonderful cough. Mostly recovered now and working hard once more. Currently in Uppsala just North of Stockholm before heading to Denmark on Tuesday and then home once more.

Trust you're all well.

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #444 on: January 18, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »

Andrew..............sorry, never got that..........a belated happy new your to you and your loved ones too.......and sorry to hear about your illness...............touch wood I have been free from such things this year.......clearly the flu jab worked well................
a little update....we were up in Glasgow two days before Christmas for mollie to have an interview with Clyde Marine Training, she did far better than the one in late November at Fleetwood Nautical college.and her future is looking more positive by the month.lol.

take care over there..........far too bloody cold for me, lol

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #445 on: January 19, 2015, 04:46:40 am »

Hi neil.
RE: were up in Glasgow two days before Christmas , interview with Clyde Marine Training.
was that their new premesis in Hillington estate you went to for that.

frank

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #446 on: January 19, 2015, 08:46:44 am »

think so frank...........junction 26 of the M8..............lovely new building  opened early last year 2014.

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #447 on: January 19, 2015, 09:10:59 am »

3)I chose those without a split mould such as the boxes and the bitts and capstan because they have all flat bottoms and it was the bottom of each master that touches the plasticine and will be open once the rubber has set......will show you that bit tomorrow when I have poured the rubber and it has set......it will explain easier in photo form.

Hi Carl, the way I decide if it is to be a split mould or not is to look at the master and see if the fitting once cast will come out of the rubber mould easily, if it won't a split mould will be needed. I recently produced an O gauge resin truck kit for another company and the cab actually required a 3 piece mould to reproduce all the interior and exterior details.

Mark..
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #448 on: January 19, 2015, 12:35:22 pm »

think so frank...........junction 26 of the M8..............lovely new building  opened early last year 2014.
so was this you visiting in stealth mode in case you were spotted  {-)  if you had went 10 mins along the road to junction 24 you could have  stopped off and said hello and had a beer.  Bet you got dragged off to the Braehead shopping centre instead... O0 {-) {-)

Frank   

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #449 on: January 19, 2015, 12:52:30 pm »

aye....we had a quick trip round braehead, frank...........can't keep the kids away from primark at the end of the mall............sadly I used to go in smiths/menzies just inside the doors whilst they were shopping......but they closed it down this last summer........ >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(..........I'm stumped for something to do now, so sit in the chairs on the upper floor, people watching, lol {-) {-)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.