Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: MGB658 Fairmile D @ 1/72  (Read 45122 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MGB658 Fairmile D @ 1/72
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »

I do like the splinter pads, have you tried solder paste, I find it so much easier the paste helps hold small wire pieces in place and just a flash of heat and jobs done, even I can solder with it  %% %%

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2015, 02:57:48 pm »

Hi Longshanks. How about thin fishing line for the lace? I can pull some off one of my reels and post it to you if you like?

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2015, 03:04:19 pm »

Kevin,Im a bit nearer for fishing line! If you like SPOOKS suggestion,and he doesnt mind, let me know what size and I will drop some down to Jen?
Mick F

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2015, 05:31:47 pm »

From what I've read Anti Splinter mats were made from Coir.  A coarse woven fabric originally used to cover decks to make them less slippery or protect the deck timbers.  Steel decks were often treated with an anti slip compound and didn't require mats.  The splinter mats were made using several layers of Coir stitched through and covered with painted canvas to make them waterproof.  I should imagine the effect was something similar to a Futon type mattress.  Coir was used because it's almost as strong as hemp matting but a lot lighter.  It also floats which gave the matting a double use as it could double up for life preservers.  It was clear that anti splinter matting was exactly that, it wasn't designed to be "bulletproof" but was intended to stop shrapnel and flying debris.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:00 pm »

Thanks for the interest . . .
Steve, I had it in my mind that it was kapok but I guess coir would have much the same effect, primarily physiological !! Good point about it floating tailuk.

Thanks for the suggestion about fishing line, does it go down to 0.1mm

Cheers longshanks

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2015, 09:00:51 pm »

When I start the brass work on my models I am going to go straight for Solder paste as it seems that while more expensive than normal solders, it benefits from being appliable in measurable amounts and that will save wasted solder. Also, it seems to need less heat saving gas/electricity. It also can be used to hold small bits in place as Joe says saving the cack handedness of shaking hands or an inadvertant fidget just as you start to solder.

Those railings look good all the same, you have the knack of solder!
Pond weed is your enemy

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:35 pm »

I agree it probably was coir in the splinter mats. But just a point about kapoc it was used in bouyancy aids - a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when I was a young boy scout, our life preservers were filled with kapoc, and we were told to keep our hands across our chests when we went into the water to stop the damned things flipping up and smashing us in the face!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.