Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ready Build  (Read 44188 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Ready Build
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 11:41:10 am »

Lovely job Ian, would have commented earlier but the WiFi is terrible in Cyprus at the moment!
Nice funnel work, I've seen funnels all over the place but yours looks perfect. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 08:10:29 pm »

It helps having a diddy lathe to get things square and tidy. Next up are the torpedo launchers. 'M's had two twins on turntables so I have started to cut plastic.

Good to hear from you in Cyprus Nick. Hows it going in the Med?
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 04:20:41 am »

Can't complain too much Ian, other than the heat, long hours and terrible food ideas in the mess we are having a relatively nice time, got to go to the beach on my day off on Saturday- just got to wait another 15 days for my next one!

Keep up the excellent work :-))
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 08:58:51 am »

Latest Ready news.

First off, some remedial work. Way back when I was lacking in drawn references, I was using photos to gauge proportions etc. And while usually capable of squeezing dimentions out of a photograph, I managed to muck the length of the forecastle up by about 40mm.

So, after getting betttere references thanks to Derek, I added the extra material to get the forecastle looking right. I also included the minimal admiralty curves where the forecastle plating joins that of the quarterdeck.

I have started the Torpedo launchers. M class had two twin 21inch units on turntables.

These launcher tubes have a round top and rear but a square belly section with a tapering front end.

I made these from styrene tube with a section cut off and replaced with two pieces of right angle strip to make the box section.

The angles were then cut and sanded to shape and discs of sheet styrene added to the rear end to create the flange that the loading door shuts on.

To finish this section, I have started planning the electrical layout. I have less room than I had hoped, but with some judicial removal of heat sinks (He says hopefully:O) everything should fit neatly in the space provided. I might have been better going for smaller gizmology, but hey what is life if not a challenge %%

TTFN

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 05:16:11 pm »

Just a quick update now I am back working on the destroyer for a bit.

The new bridge has been festooned with kapok blast screens. I have decided that battle experience showed that these should run around the sides and rear as well as the front. I will cut back sections and add the boxes and navigation lights in due course.

The Pelorus and Binnacles have been fitted on the bridge along with the chart table. Early classes of destroyer had the cool looking perambulator hoods and window, but I am not sure what M class destroyers had to protect their charts whilst in use. Any guesses chaps??

lastly, I have wired up the motors ready to be connected to the mixer unit. I cannibalised the distribution board and speed controller to fit in my Tug 'Biccu', so these need replacing in HMS Ready. The lead clours follow the standard red and black polarity gibbins.

Next up will be the voice pipes, semophore mast and searchlight.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 05:55:56 pm »

Wow that looks amazing!

She's coming on nicely, I would have thought the chart table would have something very similar to the older designs, why mess with something that works! Until the bridges were enclosed I'd have thought it would have remained the same.
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »

Micro update.

Having had several weeks of fun with my Tug 'Biccu', I am going to recover the power board, RX and speed controller and return them to this Destroyer so I can get the running gear tested and then continue with the build in time for the Mayhem show.

Images will be posted soon as I have something mildly exciting to show:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2016, 11:12:52 pm »

Images will be posted soon as I have something mildly exciting to show:O)

Oooh, you're such a tease! now I'll have to check in more frequently to find out what you've been up to... ;D

Regards,

Ray.

Kayechuk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 08:13:28 pm »

O0 Cannot wait to see what magic you pull out of the hat.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 08:27:34 pm »

Currently it is making sense of electronic gizmos that do not want to work fully. To be fair though,it may be the shaft linkages slowing the port motor down whilst the other two whiz around fine though noisily, so I cannot jump toblamesomething I have nbever had running before in a hull that has never run before mounting a drive train that is new.

I am seriously considering making her a single screw model and saving the Mixer for a larger model as the Power board, Mixer,RX and speed controller take up a sizable chunk of upper deck space and with the shafts being cheapo, they do vibrate a bit despite 'straightening' them out.

I am learning a lot about what not to do with this model! 

Once this is sorted, I can get the superstructure and plating done for Mayhem. I must book my hotel room.....
Pond weed is your enemy

Kayechuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »

The Ready would make a nice addition to Ron Deans ship line.Not enough of the old Victorian hulls out there,to get the greatest age of ships to be seen, and built over on this side of the pond.Some days looking at the builds on mayhem,want to break knuckles  <*<

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:30 pm »

No shes definitly just preWW1 1913-1916 in fact. HMS Rupert on the other hand is very Victorian!!!!
Pond weed is your enemy

Kayechuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2016, 09:22:13 pm »

Rupert is beautifull,and a very interesting looking ship. :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:11 pm »

She is indeed a very interesting ship, and I believe a good starter project for those who want a capital ship of handy size, with a bit of rigging and one turret to try motorising should they want.

Onto the Ready, I have for the moment decided to make her run on a single shaft with slightly larger prop. The electrics work nicely, though the shaft still isn't straight and does impart some noise. Once I have added a lifting tag to the electroincs flat, I can then fit the deckwales and then start the exciting bit.

I shall add some photos next week.
Pond weed is your enemy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2016, 09:12:30 pm »

Hi Ballast, I have to say I like reading your comments on all the various threads, and It's nice to see your build blog. It may be a little slower than some but it's looking good. Keep it coming please. U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2016, 09:17:15 pm »

That is very kind U2, Work gets in the way as well as other non ship projects so things come in fits and bursts.

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »

How do fellow model boatists, I have done a smattering of work to the Destroyer.

As I have cut out most f the original cross ties to fit gizmos inside, I decided that combining the deckwales and cross ties would be lighter and stronger. I have made this from one piece of 1.5mm styrene. I cut holes in it to provide access. Priority access must be to fit/remove the Control board as it sits atop the battery  box and side ballast.

The control board can just be seen with its natty pull sewn by my own hands, and despite looking like it was sewn blindfolded, it seems to do the job:O) In this area the deckwales is still not quite strong enough, so I will add some tabs to the underside of the deck to stop the hull sides looking wavey.

Access holes were made for the motor section and also to get to the rudder and servo just in case.

This is the Quarter deck. I intend to have the centre superstructure with Funnels etc removable to access the volt meter and power switch. I am not sure wether I can use a very thin rubber seal to seal the deck-deckwale join? It would have to be .5mm thick at most.

Starting on the plating. The model will almost certainly serve at Wicksteed with simple black dot portholes, but I have mad and am casting up porthole rigol units and will install these afterwards.

I can't help thik that this project has become a controlled Dog's Dinner as I realise that I have to alter things a little to make stuff work. I had hoped the hull would plate easily, but having looked harder at photos, these Destroyers had sharp bows from keel to deck. The rounded bow had to be sharpened, so a form was fitted and the plating will be bevelled to meet it snugly with the intervening 'inner' plates faired in with more filler.

And onto the Shippes boats. These ships carried a 27 foot Whaler, a 14 foot dingy and another slightly larger boat.

These will be carved from balsa. The 14 footer needs a little more fettling to get the curves right before detailing.

And detailed with Evergreen strip packaging card. This is great and I reccomend it fully to all modellers for many uses.
I am going to cover them with Tarpaulins for the show.

A great use for the Evergreen cardboard is for templates.

I have taken to writing the vital dimensions on the template as well for future ease of making more.

More soon now the show draweth near %%
Pond weed is your enemy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2016, 10:40:30 pm »

Coming along nicely :-)) . Are you going to do the tarpaulins like Brian 60? They looked the part! I looked around in Joes lecture today and wondered if you had gone to carry on building or fetch another cake {-)  I hope your back for the next lesson 'how to make a fantastic ship even better'.

Oh and I like 'gizmology' it's in there with 'electrickery' and 'tanglier' :} .   U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »

That's a nice bit of whittling on the ships boats, I never thought of making them that way, I usually buy them from Caldercraft, I've filed that away for future use.  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2016, 11:33:34 pm »

Just looking in and liking what I see.

I also did my ships boats in Balsa (for the Ariadne) and found it very easy to sand to shape - though I did take it slowly so as not too remove too much and thereby have to start again.

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2016, 02:44:19 pm »

Thanks Joe. I wanted to get some boats for the model but could not find any 1:96th scale ones. I am sure that Dean's do the whole shebang given their range of RN warships from Gunboats to Battleships, I just need a list of the sizes of boat available to the Navy.

The Modelling Warships book shows a small selection which gave me the dimensions for the 27 footer and a 14 footer, while the other boat looks to be 16 or 18 feet long and dinghy shaped.

I went for balsa as it is light and will not affect the centre of gravity.

I will re read Brian's log and digest the details. Ready is fast becoming a collection of sub assemblies and a hull, which I think is a good thing {:-{

I snuck off while Joe was shuffling his slides to whittle the boats. I am back now with some battenburg.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »

I put Caldercraft  I meant to put Quaycraft boats they do 1:96 and are very good, whalers, gigs,  motor boats etc. not cheap though but to be honest if you want your boats with covers on your way makes sense.  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2016, 09:46:30 pm »

Thanks for that Joe. I see some of what I am after. At this stage the images I found of the Quaycraft boats will serve as visual modelling aids, but I think Achilles will get some nice resin boats.
Pond weed is your enemy

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:46 pm »

Do not know how I have missed this Ian still have spent a pleasant hour catching up so will tag along if I may. Btw have you tried lime for your whittling of small boats it is nicer to paint than balsa, if you want to try some let me know I have quiet a lot of smallish off cuts from my other hobby.
Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2016, 07:26:27 pm »

Hi Colin, I never say no to a bit of useful material:O) I went for Balsa because I had it to hand and am on a sort of Wickseed deadline so decided just to sail as close to the wind as possible and get her done. In the future with decent materials or good kits My ships will benefit from better boats. Cruisers like Battleships have quite a few.

Are you going to the Mayhem show? If so I could collect the bits of lime andsee you right for a coffee :-))
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.