Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuild of ELKE fishing boat  (Read 15340 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Rebuild of ELKE fishing boat
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:55:51 am »

I'll start this log off with a question - what's wrong with this workbench ?

empty_bench.jpg

Answer: There's no model boat on it ! <:(

...and so to the rebuild.

A number of years ago I was given this model of an ELKE fishing boat. The guy had attempted to build it as a static model and became disheartened when he spilled some sort of liquid substance on it, so decided to give it away.

damage.jpg

So, the bits and pieces were stripped off it and most of the green substance was removed the hard way i.e. fingers and a variety of sandpapers, wet 'n dry etc..

I had tried a number of strippers but nothing would shift it. Tried using white spirit, allowing it to soak for 10 mins, that's when I discovered 8 little holes in the prow/keel of the hull - the liquid had gone all over the workbench >>:-( and it still hadn't shifted the stuff.

pinholes.jpg

Finally got the thick of it removed from the inside of the hull then moved onto the outside.

outer_hull.jpg

Here's one half of the hull rubbed down:-

rubbing_down.jpg

Next came the ruined deck.
I used this as a template to make a new plywood deck.

new_deck.jpg

This was then checked for fit then removed and the markings for the various fittings were carefully measured then transposed onto the new deck, highlighted with cross-hatching, in pencil, then put aside.

The original proptube hole was far too small for my planned fitting out so  this was reamed out to accept the replacement proptube.
The pinholes were sealed from the inside using 20 min epoxy. When the glue had set the inside of the hull was given 2 coats of white primer, just to tidy it up.
The deck was then reinstalled (dry) and taped into place and the hull sides brought up against it using elastic bands / spanish windlass where required. Now the hull could be turned over to get the templates made for the cradles for the stand.

This was done and the stand made, primed and painted.

stand_made.jpg

...so far, so good.

Regards,

Ray.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rebuild of ELKE fishing boat
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:42:49 am »

Nice work so far Ray, hard to believe that is the same hull. Looking forward to this rebuild :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01:01 am »

What patience and dedication.  Looking good.    :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:33:52 pm »

Definatly following this one  O0

Dave

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:16:05 am »

Thank you gents - that's my fan club up to 3 now... {-) {-) {-)

Back to the job in hand.

The stand was finished off with a topcoat of red - just what I had to hand really.
Once that was dry I used some ribbed draught excluder to act as cushioning for the model.

Now the hull could be mounted right way up.

cradle_painted.jpg

Marks were made on the inner bulwarks to identify positions for the bulwark supports, of which there are 44, used a red fine tip marker pen for this.

The deck was then once again removed, giving full access for fitting out of the running gear.

The hole for the rudder tube had been previously drilled out and, for whatever reason, had been reamed into an elliptic shape - so this had to be repaired.
To that end, a plastic patch was applied on the inside and smothered with P38. This patch also gave me something to work on, on the outside of the hull, creating a shallow well which was also filled with the P38.
Once hardened off the P38 was sanded down and position marked for drilling.

The pilot hole was drilled then gradually opened out until rudder tube was a push fit. Found a pair of plastic bearings on an old proptube which I'd kept for cutting up so these were pressed into service.

rudder_tube.jpg

This photo shows some of the red marks as described above (and the rudder tube in place).

A length of threaded rod was cut to size to form the rudder shaft. Next came the rudder blade.
Used a template from my previous model (Pilot Boat) to cut the 2 halves of the blade from 0.5mm plasticard. The shaft was laid onto 1 half, covered with a thick layer of epoxy resin, second half of the blade laid onto this and the whole thing clamped to harden off.

The proptube was reinstalled (dry) along with shaft and propeller.
A frame was then made, from plywood scrap, to support the motor and taped into place. Huco coupling added and the whole lined up. happy with that so all removed for next operation, which was to make the oiling tube for the prop.
Drilled hole in the tube then cut and dressed section of brass tube.

Tried soldering tube in place but insufficient heat produced. Remembered reading something about this and decided to dig out an old butane gas torch I'd been given - Bingo! - the solder melted straight away and the tube pushed into place - no problem ;)

A length of clear tubing was immersed in hot water and then teased onto the oiling tube - job done. :-))

The whole drive-train was once again installed and checked for alignment. Now the proptube was epoxied into place.

Once the glue had hardened off the drive-train was again removed.

A support was then made for the inboard end of the prop-tube. This to minimize any possible vibration once everything is up and running.

proptube.jpg

Final placement of running gear (electrics) will be worked out next.

Regards,

Ray.

plug

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 09:53:49 am »

fan club up to 4, nice boat and nice work

best regards Jack.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

Make that 5 Plug! That's a nice looking hull shape.

Ian.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:51:17 pm »

So, now the rudder blade has been smothered with P38.
Motor mount and battery tray made and painted, 2 cross-members installed to support the rudder servo and the ESC.

rudder_pitted.jpg

All the running gear was then refitted and tested - all ok.

running_gear.jpg

All bare wood was then painted and running gear back into position.

tested_ok.jpg

Next, the hull was tested in the bath and checked for watertight integrity and stability - so far, so good :-))

Happy with everything so far - the main deck was tackled next...

Started by gluing 12mm x 5mm strips of balsa to the main deck opening - these were laid with the 5mm edge in line with the edges of the opening thereby giving me a total of 6.5mm landing area for the hatch coaming. (same for the boat deck).

Deck cyanoed in place, P38 applied on deck / bulwarks to fill minor gaps and maintain watertightness. This was left overnight to harden off then sanded down and finished off with fine grade wet 'n dry.

Wasn't happy with the result so it was back to basics - 1st job = Strip out the running gear (should have done that in the first place - now it's all covered in fine dust  >>:-( ).

The rudder blade also needed further attention due to "pitting" in the P38 (see previous photo).

Once that was dealt with I cracked on with deck, getting rid of the excess P38.

Did a much better job this time - now for the bulwark supports:-

These were cut from 1.5mm ply - a bit fiddly as ranged from 25mm down to 14mm in height.

Here's the start of them anyway...

bulkwarks_underway.jpg

Hope to get some more done tomorrow.

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 05:24:02 am »

Captain P.............I am sure it must be an optical illusion, however the prop shaft & ancillaries plate looks bent over :o to the STDB side.......whereas the rudder control arm appears straight from the same perspective :-))........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 05:51:24 am »

I think its an optical illusoon caused by the shadow of the prop shaft.  It is being projected onto a curved surface.  Cover that part of your screen with your hand, and the shaft straightens out again.

Keep up the good work, there's six of us now. :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:47:11 am »

Well Bob...we now know where you name is from :}

They say the camera does not lie.......well yes ....but the image can be distorted to the human eye

I tried your suggestion as below......... O0.................all straight................ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DarrenCarter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:34 am »

Hi is this the caldercraft one

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »

the prop shaft & ancillaries plate looks bent over :o to the STDB side.......whereas the rudder control arm appears straight from the same perspective :-)) ........Derek

:o Phew ! You had me doubting myself for a while there Derek  {-)

I think its an optical illusoon caused by the shadow of the prop shaft. :-))

Thanks for clearing that one up Bob :-))

Hi is this the caldercraft one

Hi Darren - don't know whether caldercraft were involved in the marketing of this model or not but the kit was produced by Graupner O0 

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:12 am »

Bulwarks were coming along nicely - got to number 41 of 44 then managed to slice my finger with the Stanley Knife so I've been out of commission for a few days while the finger healed.

So, this is where we're at:-

bulwark_supports.jpg

Hope to get going again later on today.

Regards,

Ray.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:59 am »

Welcome to the finger slicing club. You're now a fully fledged member.   {-)

Regarding the bulwarks, I cannot see whether the bases are touching the deck.  If so, is there a little gully behind them to allow water to flow around.  ?

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 12:12:29 am »

Welcome to the finger slicing club. You're now a fully fledged member.   {-)

Regarding the bulwarks, I cannot see whether the bases are touching the deck.  If so, is there a little gully behind them to allow water to flow around.  ?

cheers

ken

Don't know how I've managed to keep all my digits, considering the amount of abuse they've received over the years <*<

There is a very small gap to the rear of each bulwark support Kenny - can't find them in the photos though (must get SWMBO to award me with a decent camera) O0

Continuing: 2 x freeing ports were cut out on each side, using the chain-drilling method, then fettled with the needle files.

Next, some strips of 3mm ply were cut for use as hatch coamings. When glue hardened off, some cling-film was placed over the coaming to act as a glue barrier while the corresponding hatch frames were made around the coaming to achieve a good tight fit.

coamings.jpg

This went very well however, I hadn't thought this out properly. With the height of the central deck access hatch the top would be almost level with the top of the bulwarks and it looked ridiculous. :embarrassed:

So, spent a bit of time removing the coamings again then replaced them with a deck level channel around the inside of the opening.
The coaming for the boat deck is ok as that is a raised section anyway for the rowing boat.

So now the main hatch is fitted flush and conforms to deck sheer.
Done this by soaking the hatch in hot water then holding it in position with an old battery.

hatches.jpg

Happy with that, so now I can prep the hull for painting O0 .

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 10:54:26 pm »

The hull was given a good rub down, dusted off and washed with warm soapy water then rinsed and left to dry naturally.

The hull was then given 2 coats of grey primer, followed by 2 coats of red primer.

red_primer.jpg

When this had stood for 24 hrs attention was given to carefull masking off and the hull below the waterline (and the main deck) were given 2 coats of Halfords "BMW Imola Red 11" spray.
The masking was then carefully removed after about 1hr - no paint "pull" observed - then left to harden off again.

In the meantime attention was given to the wheelhouse. All the old varnish was removed and the portholes were popped off and put aside as spares - they were out of scale and had been out of alignment anyway.
Backing boards were put on the inside and then filled with P38.

wheelhouse.jpg

While rubbing down the wheelhouse it just sort of disintegrated in my hands, so I've decided to make a new one but using what bits I can from the old one to use as templates.

Here's the progress to date:-

oldandnew.jpg

newone.jpg

I'm using 2mm ply for this job and will need to add some external trimming once I get the basic structure together.

....another update to follow shortly.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:23 pm »

...and back to the hull again:-

Once again, the hull was masked off and white primer applied to the bow wave and rubbing strake, followed by Halfords "Appliance White" topcoat x 2.

Waited the obligatory 1 hr then removed all the masking again and set the hull aside to harden off.

Masked up yet again and got the upper hull sprayed with grey primer then topcoated using Halfords "Vauxhall Jade".

hull_painted.jpg

I had to do a little bit of touching in at the rubbing strake - it would appear that I hadn't pressed the masking tape fully into the groove in a couple of places  :embarrassed:

When all was completely dry the BECC lettering was applied and then, finally, the whole hull was given a few coats of matt varnish to seal all the paintwork.

named.jpg

varnished.jpg

I've managed to knock the boat stand off the workbench and broken it, so the next job will be to make another (more substantial) one. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

escipion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 04:34:45 pm »

Nice job, congratulations
It looks like the only thing you'll keep from the original boat is the hull   O0

Best regards

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 08:17:45 pm »

"When all was completely dry the BECC lettering was applied and then, finally, the whole hull was given a few coats of matt varnish to seal all the paintwork."

Hi cap'n , loving the build. A question if I may; the Matt varnish, was it brushed or sprayed? And which product did you use.

Many thanks

Chris B

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:02 pm »

Nice job, congratulations
It looks like the only thing you'll keep from the original boat is the hull   O0

Best regards

Thank you for the compliments - I'm hoping the 2 masts will be ok, and the derrick, we'll see...

Hi cap'n , loving the build. A question if I may; the Matt varnish, was it brushed or sprayed? And which product did you use.
Many thanks.
Chris B

Hi Chris - I normally use rust-oleum matt varnish spray, from B&Q. They've stopped stocking it at my local store so I bought their alternative, VALSPAR, we'll see how that fares in the coming months ;) 

Regards,

Ray.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:30 pm »

Quiet lovely. Enjoying the transformation, I have a Samson hull sitting in the garage awaiting the same sort of treatment. all I need are some drawings or plans for it. Once again, very nice. Thank you. Phil

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:06 pm »

...back onboard.

Been quite busy over the last week with "other commitments" so we've not done a great amount of modelling  >>:-(

However, here's a little update...

The original building stand, which was 5mm ply, has been replaced with a more substantial 10mm ply, with the stretchers being glued and pinned.
While paint was drying I went on to tackling the capping rail.
This was broken into 6 pieces when I first removed it but it's all usable. So, all the sections were sanded down and 2mm x 1mm lime strip was glued to the underside of the capping rail, at it's inboard side, to act as a rail between the bulwark supports and the capping itself.

cap_support.jpg

This should ensure a good level capping.

The parts were then stained with Teak Mahogany satin. (This will be used on all the boat's woodwork).

stained.jpg

While things were being stained / painted a start was made on the wheelhouse window frames and wooden trim.

window_frame.jpg

Using slow drying wood glue on this so, while we wait, I decide to re-install all the running gear.
This was done and then thought it would be a good idea to fit the flush deck access hatch.

Now a bad error comes to light - the rudder servo and the ESC were sitting too high so that the deck access hatch couldn't fit flush - that's because my original fitting out was done when I had the high coamings, whereas I'd subsequently changed the coamings to a flush channel.
It also meant I would have to alter the tiller rod....TIME OUT for Coffee.

...and another update to follow shortly O0

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 12:18:46 am »

Once I had calmed down I removed the servo and ESC platform, whittled away a portion of the cross-members then reinstalled the gear.

whittled.jpg

A new tiller rod was made and fitted then finally the hatch was laid on and secured with Robbe casement fasteners.
Carried out a bench test and now all ok.

tiller_rod.jpg

Incidentally, here's the new stand, complete with hull protectors by way of draught excluder (Lidl's best).

stand.jpg

bargain.jpg

I do love a bargain - 50 pence only :-))

...and today I got my new camera. Hoping for much better quality photographs once I get the hang of it %)

Regards,

Ray.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:25 am »

All looking good Ray.

Just out of interest, what sort of camera did you end up with?
Ian.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.