Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sternwheeler. W H Bancroft  (Read 12869 times)

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
Re: Sternwheeler. W H Bancroft
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 08:33:41 pm »

You know, you are absolutely correct!  I for some reason was assuming that my model is 1/24th scale when in fact it is 1/32nd! Perhaps because I usually model in 1/48th and 1/72nd. 

What you are building will be the same size as my model of the Bancroft with a length of 106cm hull and 126cm over the wheel and a width of 25cm.

As I said before I built with a flat bottom and that may account for a lesser draft.  Mine draws 3cm of water. The wheel and rudders draw the same.  Draft or depth are the same in my mind though someone may correct me!  It is the depth of water required to float the boat. 

The plans say 5ft 6in depth moulded.  That means from bottom of keel to underside of main deck.  On this boat the actually depth of water drawn will be about 3ft - therefore that 3cm.  That means a loaded weight of about 5.5kg which is approximately what my model weighs.  It is very stable and works very well.

I hope that all helps!

Arve

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »

Edmund

I can only say a bigThank You.  Your commenst help at lot.
I will continue my build as I have startet.

However, I am a slow builder you you have to wait a bit for an update.

ArveG

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 06:27:57 pm »

Here is another video of the Bancroft steaming around the pond today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3kYHo_75k0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 10:51:26 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASMc3BUMGw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video in real time for comparison.  Not quite scale speed perhaps but she's a nice little goer for a boat and quite manoeuvrable as you can see at the end. Holding camera and controlling sticks is not easy!

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 10:29:31 am »

Hi Edmund,

This has been a really interesting post, great to see a stern paddler performing and steering so well,
I am also a big fan of the Bancroft - it's been "on the back burner" for many years waiting to be built,
your simplified hull is a great idea, saving a lot of heart ache and construction time.

Having recently built a simple stern paddle wheel, I know there's a lot involved in producing an accurate wheel,
it would be very helpful if you could recall the website where you purchased the wheel kit?

many thanks regards Paul

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:26 pm »

Hi Paul,

the website I got it from was in Germany.  Here's the link:

http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalog/?language=en

The wheel was about 35 Euros, and glues together with polystyrene cement.  I added a brass tube through the centre to attach it to a 4mm shaft with a cotta pin.  The postage was extra but was quick and all in all good value I thought.

I use the same wheel on my sidewheeler Forfarshire also on Mayhem though originally she was going under the name Sirius.  I cut the wheel in half and used in on either side of the boat with the same way of attaching it to the shaft - it means the wheel can easily be removed from the shaft.

Here's a link to the Sirius/Forfarshire on Mayhem 

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53360.msg566609.html#msg566609

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 09:32:34 am »

Hi Edmund,

Thank you for the link, the paddle wheel is thankfully still available and well worth buying for future builds.

Your Sirius is another beautiful model with clever use of a glass fibre hull - again saving hours of hard work !

many thanks regards Paul
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.