Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433514 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?

Well, went to Dungeness last Friday to meet up with Andy Griggs and Debbie for a photo shoot, which we did [in the bitter cold] and 17-09 accompanied me. After that I had hoped to go on board and photograph all the Port side wheelhouse and deck detail so I can finish off my DVD of photos - already up to 1,500 shots - for modellers. Then measure all the bolts, washers and rail thicknesses to make a facts sheet for those building in either 1/16th or 1/12th. Unfortunately, it was the day of the Supercat's launch trailer annual service - so not possible, the job must come first! I will make another visit in a couple of weeks. Slightly disappointed we went back to our vehicles, where Andy presented me with the second model out of the moulds [hull, deck, wheelhouse and fendering in the soft set resin] for my help with photographs and certain close-up measurements which do not translate well from the plans. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Not expected, but thoroughly appreciated. He did say that when it goes on sale at Ellesmere this coming weekend it will be in white gel coat - he has done mine in blue and orange so that it looks like the real boat and not spend its life in GREY! So now I must make a start [alongside my Trent, Arun, Solent, Mersey, Atlantic '21] and make room for it in my workshop. I have started by writing a build schedule - do not hold your breath waiting for build pictures in the next month or so - the little 1/72nd Airfix Severn has to be finished first and also start a post on these hallowed pages the Trent Build too. However, I thought I would post a couple of my photos, just to start the process off. This is going to be a different build in many ways and processes from the others that I have started.
Just to say thanks to all those that have ordered and bought the various DVDs of lifeboat classes over the past few weeks. All the money paid goes to the RNLI and Dungeness have had just over £200 in the past month and Dover £100.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club

The model looks superb and I am not in the least bit jealous or envious I have always been green  {-) <:(
Looking forward to seeing it at ellesmere on Saturday

Will Andy be doing a fittings kit for it or are macs mouldings doing one for him?

John

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

That does look rather nice. Like John I am not in least bit envious  :embarrassed:
Well done on the RNLI gifts, do you have a web address for buying your CD's.
Colin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

John and Colin,
I did chuckle when I read both of your comments regarding 'green' - I needed a little uplift in what has been a 'pain of a day' regarding the alarm system on my Volvo T5 V70 - I now have a courtesy VW nine seater Transporter sitting on the drive - what space that has in the back, enough for my whole collection of 1/12th lifeboats!!!
Regarding your questions of fixtures and fittings John, best ask Andy on Saturday in Ellesmere.
Kim

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim,
Another great model from Andy! - THE boat many modellers are itching to build.
Unfortunately I cannot go to the Ellesmere show this year and will miss seeing the Shannon in the flesh.
I am intrigued to know what the 'soft set resin' fendering is please? had assumed it was a D shaped rubber
moulding that needs glueing in place etc, have we a nicer option available??
regards Paul

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel

Hi Kim,
The Shannon certainly seems to have gathered a lot of enthusiasm from Lifeboat Modelers, me included! Like lots of people i'm sure, i will following your build with interest.
Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Colin, regarding the DVDs and CDs of still photos, these are for the Severn, Trent, Mersey, Tamar, Solent and Shannon, although the Shannon one awaits the final shots for the deck and wheelhouse detail on the Port side [these would be sent on later at no extra cost]. These could not be taken last week as the boat was outside the wheelhouse and a launch trailer annual service was being undertaken.
The Severn ones cost £7.50 [there are two and over 2,000 shots], the others are £5 each - all the money goes to the RNLI stations that have allowed me to crawl all over their boats for hours [sometimes days!], and they appreciate this local income. Over £300 so far this year to Dungeness and Dover, more on its way to Newhaven and Brighton. Send me a PM and I'll then burn the photos off and send them to your address - I bear all the costs for postage and packing.
Paul, you were asking about the fendering material. I've taken a few photos and attached. The material is [I hope I have got this right] a soft set flexible polyurethane resin [looks and feels like a black rubber] which will do the job well. It will be glued on and there are two, one for each side. The front edges will need cutting off to length. Andy has told me that the material sands well, and it does! I have used a fine Permagrit metal backed tool and it does the job without tearing, also a 220 grit grade Oakey flexible foam wet and dry square and this too does the job. I have cut into a spare section Andy gave me then sanded it down, you can see the results. I have also treated the smoothed down section with Autoglym rubber and bumper care solution - all remained in tact and no colouring or deposit came off the 'rubber'. You can also see the profile. Andy produces it with a 'stipple' surface - not sure whether I will keep this or smooth it all off - a few more experiments first. I hope this helps. Andy has got the side profile correct at the stern and sides going forwards, where towards the end it loses the flat middle section and goes to a fully rounded profile. This can be seen on my photos of the actual boats and also on the RNLI plans. You can see my untrimmed fenders and the reverse with its gap.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim,
Thank you for the concise reply and photos they explain how the rubber fendering is produced perfectly,
and what a great new development it is, very well done Mr Griggs !
a great solution to an age old problem in the life boat modelling world.
regards Paul

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"

What a cool new model  :-)) . Can't wait to see a build log of one.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Met up with Andy and 17-09 again at Ramsgate this morning regarding a much, much larger boat project and got to look at Andy's actual Shannon build with its water jets and motors in place and the bilge keels on. Impressive. Also saw a number of prototype parts, a few of which I now have for my build, which will soon be going into production. Hope to have some shots of Andy's boat in action on the water in the not too distant future [in fact I have shots of it on the water, but that was just to see where she sat when the fendering, deck and wheelhouse were in place - plenty to spare!
I've just ordered my jet drives, so with the research I've already done [and am still doing] I hope to start my build, very slowly, once they arrive.
I was also down at Dungeness the week before last and have now completed the Port side photographs for my DVD of shots for modellers - some 2,000 in all I hope, but am still editing them. This should be ready by the end of next week at £7.50, ALL of which goes to the RNLI, I bear the cost of case, postage and packing.
Once the sun starts to shine a little more and the temperature starts to rise, out into the garden to prepare the hull, deck and wheelhouse for the arrival of those jet drives! With the grass [back and front] already having been given their first cuts, I will have a clear conscience!

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 09:53:15 am »

Looking good looking for ward to a full build  Bill..

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:44:01 pm »

Hi Kim
Watching with interest  :-))

Derek

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »

That is one very nice model. Looking forward to following your build Kim,
colin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Where have the past two months gone??!! Having been to Intermodellbau Show in Dortmund, written up my article for MMI, then prepared a PowerPoint illustrated presentation of 'The Launch and Recovery of the Shannon Class Lifeboat at Dungeness', travelled to the West Midlands and delivered two talks for the RNLI and also attended two model lifeboat rallies, returned and written another three articles for MMI, done the gardening and off to the Beale Park Model Boat Show for the past two days [and a wonderful show - really went well, even the weather!!], have just arrived home - with my upgrade Models by Design Shannon lifeboat bits, now that Andy has made the window kit and a new wheelhouse to accept them. Added to which he has been doing a lot of work on the fendering, moving to separate sections and back to a starboard length and a port side length. Also he has made some hatch covers and other bits to get the modeller started. Here are my photos - you get all of this for £290 - a real bargain!! He is, however, still developing the reversing buckets along the lines of what you see here, but that will come as another small accessory pack to purchase, should you be using the same water-jet system that we are. I have seen the amount of time and effort that has gone into this Project over the past five or so years, and especially the last few months and can say that it is paying off - judge for yourselves.
The weather here in Kent is not great today, so hopefully I will be able to photograph my actual kit items in the next few days and post them here, as received. Then I will photograph and post on this 'thread' my water-jets, motors and ESCs. Those waiting will then see a very slow build start, preparing the above items and detailing my plans for my way forward. However, I also have to get ready for another Show this weekend - the Care Ashore [Alfold] Charity Model Boat Event at their H.Q in Surrey, where I plan to have my Shannon kit with me on display at my Lifeboat Enthusiasts' Society gazebo display. See you there, it is a great little family weekend event, with plenty of activity on the water, look it up on their website. The local Guides do a mean 'bacon buttie' in their marquee!!
I will post a few of the 'trees' that contain the window set and hatch covers after this, just so you see what we get.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Well, I trust you are as impressed as I am and awaiting to get started on my 'semi-scratch' build kit. Here are a most of the 'trees' that the windows kit and hatch covers come on, plus the two 'rubber' fenders. There are also two bilge keels and a stern towing bollard, but more of this when I photograph my actual items. Note too that the model now has a new deck to accommodate these parts. If you wish to make your own windows the original wheelhouse can still be purchased. What a bargain - at this price you can even charge it to 'house-keeping'!!

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"

Looks great  :-)) .

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer

Very nice wonder where the wife hid my bank card >:-o

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer

What jet drives are you using?, forgive me if I missed that comment.
grumpy old XXX

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Well, at last have had a bit of spare time when it has not been raining!! So have photographed what I have now got from Models by Design as my semi-scratch build kit. The hull, the improved deck and the wheelhouse that accepts the MbD window frames and glazed inserts. Also the various 'trees' that now come in the original price of £290 for all of this. Hopefully I will now start to 'fiddle and fettle' these parts to go along with the plans and photos I have of the Dungeness lifeboat -RNLB The Morrell. When building one of these [and quite a few have already been sold] do make sure [if you are a self-confessed rivet counter, like me] that you have the correct details from your research, as there are a few differences and you will see a few very small amendments as I progress. That said a couple who I know that have bought the same have said 'I'm not worried, I just want it to look like the Shannon lifeboat!' - point made - we all have our own approach to our builds.
Andy has made me a special set of 'rubber' fenders in the ten different sections for the Port and Starboard sides - he will only be making them in two lengths for the kit, one for the Port and one for the Starboard.
Due to the number of photos they will come in this Post and the following one. Then after that I will Post my water-jets and Escs, which I have also now photographed.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Those that are 'eagle eyed' will have seen that the deck comes 'oversized' for the modeller to cut to the scribbed lines in the moulding. Having been with 17-09 today and seen the progress on his 1/12th Severn Class, I took my Shannon and a discussion ensued regarding the deck camber [or fall-off] along the sides of the wheelhouse. Watch for this in my forthcoming build. I will be screwing this [the deck] to the hull, initially, to allow access inside the hull during the build. It will be permanently fixed towards the end of the build.
Also note that the wheelhouse is as it comes [straight from the mould], hence it is 'high' and will need to be cut down, but not before the deck is attached and I have a few more measurements off the Dungeness boat - there are a few idiosyncrasies I have noticed and the RNLI plans do say 'Do not scale', so beware. I will be covering my approach in the build photos. Also the first production boat 13-01 has some little differences that the succeeding boats did not have - ask Mk1, he has scratch built two beautiful Shannons and has had my Shannon DVD and knows!!

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer

Very nice, makes mouth water to see some good moulding  :-))
Looking forward to your build Kim and shall take notes.
Colin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Feeling good, the sun's out and England have just won their match against Wales in Euro 2016!! I bet 17-09 was there watching every second or was he in the workshop with his Severn Class lifeboat 're-furb'?
Here are the 'goodies' for my Shannon that have arrived from Germany and  Hong Kong a couple of months back:
  • two KMB water-jet JET28s - from a well proven manufacturer, made from glass re-inforced plastic - solid but light, with ball race one end and phosphur bronze baering the other. They have a top end maximum rpm of 20,000. I have also purchased the converter flange [aluminium] to take it from brushed to brushless powering.
  • two Turnigy Rotor Star RS500 brushless motors - high performance for helicopters. Beautifully made and rated at 1,600 Kv [rpm/V] - I am planning to running these on 7.4v LiPos = 11,840 rpm [no load]. This gives the opportunity to power them with 11.1v [17,760 rpm] and still within the water-jet maximum rpm of 20,000.
  • two Turnigy 959 Coreless Digital Alloy casing servos [machined from solid billet of 'ali'] - in all I will have six of these to operate the 'back end' water-jets and trim planes [tabs]. I'll have to order these in two more pairs and slide them through on 'house keeping'!!
  • Two Turnigy 120Amp Marine water-cooled [programmable] brushless Electronic Speed Controllers [ESCs] V2.
Off for some music practice now - singing in Canterbury Cathedral this Saturday evening - Verdi Requiem with Canterbury Choral Society and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - now that's even better than building model boats!!!

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !

Yes Kim,
 I was in the workshop watching the paint dry..ahhhh!
 You cannot be serious, Nothing is better than building model boats.
 The Shannon is growing on me but the Severn is better!!!
17-09

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

After a busy week last week [and a full rest-up after Saturday night's concert - full Cathedral with 1,000+ audience and a standing ovation - there just is NOTHING quite like it], back to my 'second love' and model boat building.
The weather was better, so got out into the garden and spent a couple of hours trimming the inner edge to the Shannon hull, flattening the top surface, ready for the deck 'temporary' fitting and also levelled off the bottom edge to the keel. I used a Proxxon belt finger sander and their delta orbital sander, having first scribbed a line around the edge to work to. For the keel I used a Perma-grit block sander and a piece of square extruded aluminium [which was true, when put onto the kitchen worktop!]. This has now left the bottom edge a little thin in a couple of places, so tomorrow I will lay-up an inside layer of glass-fibre tape and resin this into place along the keel. I will also hope to make the two 'stringers' across the width of the hull to give a little slope to the deck either side of the wheelhouse. This all takes time, but needs to be done so that work can progress on the deck and then wheelhouse fitting.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim
Thats a good start keep up the good work.

Del
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.