Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 255962 times)

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #925 on: March 22, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »

Evening Kim, Looks really good fella, keep up the good work and stay well, talk soon fella

Regards,

Martin.
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #926 on: March 22, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »

Thanks Martin, good to hear from you......will be in touch in the next couple of days.

So, this afternoon I made the second hinge and tidied up the first one. Tomorrow will have a look to see which bolts to use for the hinges and fix [temporary of course, as these will all need to come off at various stages and also a hand rail will need to be attached]. The first photo shows the second hinge in a 'dry fit' and then the progression. Used the Proxxon belt sander for this - bit OTT, however, one gets used to the balance problem after a while with such small items.....but it worked.

After this I might then make a few detailed smaller items for a change.

C.C.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Kirklees MBC/ Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #927 on: March 24, 2020, 12:29:28 PM »

Nice job Kim
You likely noticed I used that grab rail as a means to fix it all in place without glue until after final painting.
I'm producing nothing of late due to shingles being quite a distraction.
I'm looking forwards to your smaller items  :-)

ANDY .. I don't do lights!
Lobster boat
Portgarth
Every day above ground is a good one

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #928 on: March 25, 2020, 03:16:46 PM »

Thanks Andy, sorry to hear of your ailment and hope your are fully back to sound health and comfort very quickly.

Yes, like you, I had realised some time back that these pieces [with their very tight fit] will need special attention. Mine has a 1.2mm thread in both ends of the handrail and this will act like a captivated bolt, hence fitted from the other side to pull it into place. The holes just have to be drilled..........
......however, with the Covid 19 situation, the gardener I had just employed to do my 'small patches' has to remain at home. Thankfully he had given the front and back gardens a high and medium cut last week [first cut after the winter - ha, ha], so the biggest job done. I will now have to keep this going until matters return to 'normal'. I cut both yesterday [it's like summer down here] and attempted a little edging and pruning, but my hip and back gave up!! So, time for modelling very slightly reduced, just after I had started to make progress. That's life though. A few thoughts later tonight though.

Take care, Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #929 on: April 19, 2020, 06:32:18 PM »

I have built some rails during the last few weeks. The upright of the pulpit rail is a brass tube which contains the leads for the LED. I used 3mm LEDs which fit into the tube after some sanding. The rounded cap was sanded flat and then polished.
The gate is only a trial fit, the bottom hinge will be correct in the final fixing. The hinges are fixed using M1.2 hex bolts (same for the backside plate). I chose M1 bolts for the plate which accepts the locking pin. The bolts, washers and nuts were bought from Prime Miniatures (UK).

The rails at the roof were silver soldered. I chose soft soldering for the other parts and soldered them in situ. The gate is a mix of silver and soft soldering. The insert was glued in using epoxy glue. Should other Shannon builders be interested, Kim might supply some gate inserts. He has a few of them left which could be completed with the laser cut lettering from a German jeweller (might need some time  but we still keep the data files, so should be no problem).

Bending the brass rod was easier than I had expected it to be. I used my Robbe bending tool, a vice for the 90 degrees angles and  pliers for the areas where only a slight bend was needed.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]   Go Up