Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 43   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435391 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #450 on: August 20, 2017, 11:52:05 pm »

More inspiration for model Shannon lifeboat builders.
Just got these photos from Andy of his Shannon 13-02 in a boatyard in France, nearing completion!! She will be coming to an English port or Show near you soon. Must say, this does look good - keep up the great work Chris! Shows what can be done when scratch building on a semi-kit.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: August 20, 2017, 11:55:23 pm »

Folk will remember this is the original hull colour scheme and there is a choice to do the second one which now has the 'anthracite' anti-fouling colour paint below the 'boot topping'.
C.C.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #452 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:52 am »

Great work and skills  :-))
Colin

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »

Although the Shannon was designed primarily to be launched from the beach, using the Supacat Launch and Recovery System, there is now a Slipway Launched Shannon stationed at Swanage in Dorset. I was lucky enough to be down in Dorset delivering my daughter to her PGL holiday near Weymouth on the same day that Swanage had their annual open day - how fortunate was that! So obviously I made a small detour to visit and take a few photos. The only differences that I could spot, between this particular boat, 13-13, and the SL&RS boats, were the omission of the Sea Catch, and a black rubber or plastic moulding hiding the recess where the recovery strop is usually located, in the bow.  However i'm sure Kim's eagle eye will flush out any others! Anyway, here are my photos - enjoy:)
Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2017, 10:08:35 pm »

Charlie,
Many thanks for these ten wonderful photos of something most of have not yet had the chance to witness. I would have been proud to have taken any of them! You have also shown us a big detail that none of us have covered so far - the searchlight used - on the Starboard side of the upper steering position. Have you or anyone else [reading this] got a close-up shot? If so please post here. I will make sure I get some photos when I visit Dungeness next, for the DVDs I produce - why have I not thought of this before?!!
Some good additions and information.
Kim [C.C.]

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2017, 10:48:48 pm »

Hi Kim,
Yes I do. I have also posted a couple of clips of the launch process onto my YouTube Channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrZXfvDUy0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ecjNFspLM
Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #456 on: August 26, 2017, 11:16:32 am »

Thanks Charlie,
That's informative and a good start - a great help.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #457 on: August 27, 2017, 12:42:35 pm »

Charlie,
Just watched your two YouTube videos, prior to Sunday lunch and the Belgian GP. You were in the right place and captured the essence of it all. Goes to show how each member of the crew is drilled and ready for their own individual jobs - proper team work. Wished that more folk looked at these and then did not critisize that the RNLI 'waste money' putting to sea once or twice a week when there is no emergency!! This is why they are ready when the real call comes. Also, saw that a Shore Crew member had a yellow Gecko helmet - first one I've seen. Your video also shows the dependence on each other of the Lifeboat Crew and the Shore Crew [the latter quite often made up of ex-lifeboat crew, who know the job inside out]. That was real 'history' for me - the man releasing the rear retaining strop and watching 13-13 gently gain momentum. Thanks for Posting these, I am sure they will be watched thousands of times over. Just want to see it for myself now!!
Arno, if you are reading this - do watch, you'll be back next Summer, maybe a visit to RNLI HQ and Swanage?!!
Kim [C.C.]

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #458 on: August 27, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »

Hi Kim,
During the recovery, there were 2 Shore crew on the Slipway. One had a yellow Gecko, and the other had an orange one. Possibly the colour denotes their respective roles, as the commentator mentioned that it was the Head Launcher wearing the orange helmet. One other point of interest is that there now appear to be 2 different ALB Crew Kits. All the crew were wearing the familiar yellow kit, except one crew lady, who was wearing a more florescent coloured kit. Maybe the RNLI are changing their ALB kit, i don't know.
Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #459 on: August 27, 2017, 03:13:16 pm »

Some good points and information there Charlie, thanks. It will now make for some choices of colour schemes for those that want to 'bring their models to life' on the water, if they are not modelling a particular lifeboat or crew from a particular RNLS. You have given us some interesting insights.
Happy photographing and modelling.
Kim

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2017, 02:02:28 am »

Charlie.....

At the commencement of this Pt 2 video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ecjNFspLM of the launching  of the Swanage Boat, we see & hear the exhaust flap from the Stdb engine 'flapping' prior to the vessel entering the water ....do these engines run any form of sea water cooling?...or is the engine cooling system/radiator totally self contained without an intercooler?...[they talk of heavy duty sea water pumps in the attached text]

I had seen images of a new engine set [Scania D13?] in one of thee vessels as posted by CC, however no detail on the cooling system was evident

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2017, 04:21:58 pm »

Hi Derek,
I don't have any info on the cooling system i'm afraid.
Charlie

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2017, 05:17:08 pm »

Did a bit of trawling on the Scania site. they seem to list 2 options. 1/ keel mounted heat exchanger. 2/ direct sea water cooling. So all depends on which RNLI opted for, which afraid Scania site does not state.
I dare say if anyone has had the opportunity to check out a Shannon engine bay, they might be able to let us all know. O0
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #463 on: August 29, 2017, 05:36:46 pm »

All of the "launched" ALBs start and test their engines before entering the water.

They have onboard water tanks and radiators, just like your car, I am not sure if they can run indefinitely.

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #464 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:47 pm »

This might answer your question!

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #465 on: August 29, 2017, 07:29:48 pm »

They have a closed fresh water circuit that circulates the engines, which is then cooled by raw sea water in a heat exchanger - this is to prevent the engine getting clogged with sea water weed / barnacles etc. The raw water is taken from the sea through a skin fitting and passes through a filter or sea strainer. The engines have metal water pumps so they can be run dry for a period of time. Hope this helps.

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #466 on: August 29, 2017, 09:32:27 pm »

Yup  :-))

Until the engine reaches its running temperature it doesn't actually need any external cooling/radiator at all, since the coolant flow will be directed back through the block by the thermostat. Of course though, the Jabsco pump will still try to pump seawater, so having a somewhat heavier duty version which can be run dry would be appropriate in this case.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #467 on: August 29, 2017, 10:51:14 pm »

Thanks all.... :-))

The image shown below is naturally exhaust with sea water cooling exiting both engines....as mentioned the Scania WEB pages did not differentiate the cooling configuration for the RLNI vessels.....although from you comments is now understood

The real answer is that the engines must have the ability to be started & maintained for a period of time [xxx?] out of the water or on the skids etc

[my only experience with small craft {say to 20 tonnes} when slipped/docked is to have a shore side water supply connected to the engines intercoolers prior to starting the engines etc]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #468 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:23 am »

The raw water pumps have metal impellers instead of rubber so they don't burn out when run without water!  :-))

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #469 on: August 30, 2017, 10:01:18 am »

They have a closed fresh water circuit that circulates the engines, which is then cooled by raw sea water in a heat exchanger - this is to prevent the engine getting clogged with sea water weed / barnacles etc. The raw water is taken from the sea through a skin fitting and passes through a filter or sea strainer. The engines have metal water pumps so they can be run dry for a period of time. Hope this helps.

Now that sounds right. When the boat was back inside the boathouse, one of the crew opened up the hatches on the aft deck and took out a cylindrical strainer, and removed the seaweed that was wrapped around it. This was done on both sides. The strainers were then clipped back into position and the deck hatches closed. Unfortunately i didn't take a photo of that.

Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #470 on: August 30, 2017, 11:56:26 am »

Thanks for all the inputs to this response from Derek 'Down-under'. I know ME3's 'pedigree' and that was an informed comment, followed by Charlie's observations from his Swanage visit and other folks' comments. I emailed Trevor Bunney, the Dungeness 13-02 engineer / mechanic, and have got his replies this morning, which I will try to copy and paste here, along with a photo of mine, highlighting what Trevor refers to.
I hope this all helps and takes us forward regarding the Gilkes raw water cooling pumps method - a visit to their website in the Lake District is well worth a visit. This will certainly now help me in my understanding when I give talks on the launch and recovery of this lifeboat.
Thanks to each.
Kim

Hi Kim,
The Shannon is fitted with raw water cooling pumps which pump seawater around the engine to keep the coolant and oil cool, they are Gilkes pumps which can run dry for about 15mins, they have stainless impellers in them in order to do this, the pick up is that large black pipe which comes off the side of the jets on the stern outboard side, from there it goes through the hull and up to the filter baskets which are in lockers on the aft deck, hope that helps,
Regards,
Trevor

The flapping noise you refer to is merely the exhaust gas leaving the exhaust port, prior to having seawater running through them, once at sea and when seawater is running through them that noise disappears; the Mersey did exactly the same.
Trevor

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #471 on: August 30, 2017, 02:09:49 pm »

For a beach launched craft and not very old
the anodes which are everywhere seem to
be degrading at an alarming rate.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #472 on: August 30, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »

Ned,
I did make this observation myself a year or so ago. I was reminded that she is the first Shannon to be placed on station and therefore many 'little things' have had to be sorted - mainly to do with the water-jets - this requiring regular visits back to Lymington, where she sat afloat, whilst RNLS Dungeness had a Relief lifeboat, normally 13-04 RNLB Storm Rider. I believe most of those remedies have stood the test of time. I was told she also had a leaking fuel tank [very small] and this was resolved some time later at Lymington too. Next time I speak to Trevor I will enquire further. At least they are doing their job - I am sure I was told there were 57 sacrificial anodes around the stern water-jet area, or has my ageing memory played a trick? I'll find that one out too.
Kim

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #473 on: August 30, 2017, 02:43:40 pm »

Thanks for that CC
The main thing is they are doing the job
and protecting some expensive engineering
for a small outlay :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #474 on: October 04, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »

Well, over a month has gone by since I last Posted here. Not been totally idle - couple of Model Boat Shows attended with the LBES display, another couple of visits to Dungeness RNLS, DVDs made for those that have recently started a Shannon model build, parts bought - all in the name of stores for the workshop, the wheelhouse door started.........................and all those other parts of life that seem to get in the way of modelling!
The next few Posts through today and tomorrow will bring:
  • The start of the wheelhouse door build.........
  • Some pictures of the searchlights used.........and other bits of information gleaned from the Dungeness Engineer...........
  • Thoughts on my water-jet configurations.........
  • The wheelhouse VHF 'whip' aerial bottom mounts........
  • Some 'goodies' bought that might be of use in the detailing at a later stage.
So to the door. Measurements were taken from the plans and three different thicknesses of styrene card were used.
  • For those using this for the first time, note the use of drilling small holes at the corners of the windows......
  • then cutting the lines to join them, before pushing out.
  • There are also two photos where I found my measurements were 1mm out on the top right hand corner of the actual aperture for the door. So I cut a very thin wedge of styrene and 'grafted' it on and then, when dry, sanded it back. Then with judicious construction, juggled the three sections together and almost acceptable. My 'eye' might require me to go back at a later stage and re-make it!!
I hope it makes sense and completes the first Post.
C.C.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 43   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.