Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignoring 'good' advice?!  (Read 7919 times)

Stavros

Ignoring 'good' advice?!
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:10:59 am »

Why is it new members ask for advise especially novices and then go the completely the opp direction and then wonder ..why did I waste my money!!!!!!!

Dave

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Why is it
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:49:25 am »

Good question.
I know that once people have a theory in their head about how something is, it's very, very hard to change it.
I'd guess this is related ... They actually already have an idea of how they think it should be done and are really asking for confirmation that they are right; so contrary views just don't fit.

inertia

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:00:56 am »

Plague
I've had that suspicion for a long time, too. The problem is that you can never tell when you try to help them that all they're looking for is the answer that they've already come to. There are several people on my little list who will never get any further advice from me, especially if it's a complicated issue or something to do with ACTion units. The other annoying ones are those who don't even acknowledge a reply, let alone say thanks.
My Forum time is given freely but that doesn't mean I'm happy to waste it.
Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:54:57 am »

Agreed with all of the above - I suspect that a great many who slept peacefully through technical lessons like maths, physics, chemistry, at school got their technical information later through movies.  The Mythbusters got several seasons out of testing mistaken beliefs on how the physical world works.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 10:47:40 am »

We have club members like this who ask advice then go their own way,it goes t---- up but then still pursue the same path.You cannot do anything with these folk,waste of time..

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:31:50 pm »

Besides people having their own ideas stuck in their heads leading to dismissal of advice it should also be noted this is a forum where TRUSTING the advice given is taken at your own risk... not all advice on any forum is necessarily good or if it is, their is limited credibility in the poster of the advice to prove what your saying is true.
It doesn't matter how many years you been building, how long you been posting/trolling ( yes there are quite a few trolls here) on the forum or how old you are, the person asking things doesn't really care about you, so why should he/she care about your information?

Honestly i rarely take advice from a forum suggestion....  no matter how genuine the advice is until i have checked it several times against what i already know or other information available to prove what was said is true or i ring my old man who will give me the blunt bottom line.

Don't take it personally, my only advice if people are asking for help and you think its going to be a waste of your time then just simply don't post, or if you do post don't be annoyed when your information is dismisses.
Just because information you give is how you might or would do things does not mean its necessarily right or suitable for the job especially to someone with an idea in their head...

There are better ways to convince people your information is a better way to go by providing proof something i rarely seen done on a lot of posts, lots of text but no evidence to suggest otherwise.
( if i post and i need to prove what i'm saying i will post photos and other items to explain how, why, where, when of it all, and i think many know this)

You all know the old saying ''if you can't prove it, it never happened.''

Maybe use that as a guide next time you post a suggestion back it up with a photo/links/ build logs etc. maybe then you'll be less frustrated with your dismissed information as you just might convinced then!

When i post help i make it clear that i don't care if my information is ignored or dismissed at the end of the day its not my build/model/project i don't have to live with the mistakes made from failure to follow decent advice, i posted an answer to how i think it should be done or w/e but its my personal opinion, if they use it cookies for me if not when it goes wrong i will be the first to laugh.

The biggest problem with all forums is drama, conflicts and the need to go off topic rapidly, this clutters posts asking for help, multiple arguments over advice because people don't agree that's was the right way to do it etc etc etc etc etc......how do you think someone asking a question will see this? I know if i see such things i will instantly dismiss all the information from these posters then and in future regardless if they were right or not because the behavior to go with some arguments or disagreements can be seen as childish, and who wants advice from adults acting as children?

This forum has a few issues like that over the years,I get the occasional flare up on my own forum every now and again, fortunately now its clearing up which is why i don't mind posting here again after a few years absence.

Just my OPINION!, feel free to ignore it!  {-)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 12:56:51 pm »

I for one would like to thank the many Mayhem members who have given me invaluable advice, much of it priceless, without which It may have taken years more to have reached the same level of skills.  Where I can help others I try to do my best.

However:  There are occasions when perhaps my inability to fully define the problem, and all the associated parts and stages of the build, that sometimes a genuine suggestion meant in good spirit may simply not be practical for that case.
I am still grateful that someone has taken the time and trouble to respond though.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Why is it (Ignoring 'good' advice?!)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »

My preferred method for testing the mettle of a novice, is to ask them to post a photo.
If they can be bothered to work that out or ask for help to do that, then they are probably willing to listen.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 06:58:43 pm »

I've seen a new member here asking for advice on how to accomplish something and  receiving a dozen replies - all good advice by the way!

Then a couple of days later using the same log in name, asking the same question on another forum and two facebook pages!

Like the old adage : You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! comes to mind. I sometimes think how many times does one person need to hear something before the accept it.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:26 pm »

You are also forgetting that the answer that you give to someone's question may be shouted down as total rubbish on another forum. That might be the reason they ignore your sage advice.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 10:38:28 pm »

You are also forgetting that the answer that you give to someones question may be shouted down as total rubbish on another forum. That might be the reason they ignore your sage advice.

Good comment, also there may be several other ways to skin that cat.

Generally the tone of the reply will instil confidence in accepting the "advice".

Some teach to get all the advice you can, you know pros and cons, then make up your own mind.
It is then you who has erred and not the advice.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 12:42:50 am »

As pointed out above, there may be a number of valid answers to a query in which case all you can say is that "it works for me'. Whether it will work for someone else will depend on the circumstances and their particular skill set.
I am more likely to respond if the enquirer is either asking something specific or has shown that they have already made some effort to resolve the issue themselves.
I am less enthusiastic towards somebody who has bought a model on EBay and comes onto the forum with wide open arms saying 'here I am, a complete novice - teach me!'
Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:50 am »

I am less enthusiastic towards somebody who has bought a model on EBay and comes onto the forum with wide open arms saying 'here I am, a complete novice - teach me!'
Colin

I think that's how a lot of people get into the hobby.

They have a fantasy for years (or from childhood) about having a huge, all singing battleship but look at the price of kits and can't commit the money because of life situation.

They keep looking at the expensive catalogues but suddenly, something which looks close to their fantasy appears on Ebay at a bargain price so they buy it on impulse - it's only when it arrives that they realise that they don't have ANY of the skills required to build it and get it functional.

So they search the web and arrive in a forum like this with too many questions so they act like a bull in a china shop when receiving conflicting advice and contradictory solutions to their many build problems.

If they don't get 'help' they get fed up and the model goes in the loft or back on Ebay.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »

I have also seen the situation where some one will ask me advice.  their response is "that's not what the guy at the hobby shop said".  they then do what the guy at the hobby shop told them to do, and it ends in disaster.

come to find out, the "expert" at the hobby shop is a person who "specializes" in drones, planes, or cars -- or worse -- trains, and has zero knowledge in boats or subs.  he does, however, work at a hobby shop, which automatically makes him an expert at anything r/c related, and oddly enough, all of his advice results in him saying something like "i have exactly what you need right here in stock".

magnify this "expertise" by 2x when the discussion is about brushless motors or spektrum vs futaba radios.

inertia

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 03:34:08 pm »

This is all pretty discouraging stuff. Perhaps I'll be a bit more careful about who I do reply to in future.   {:-{
DM

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 03:35:03 pm »

I have also seen the situation where some one will ask me advice.  their response is "that's not what the guy at the hobby shop said".  they then do what the guy at the hobby shop told them to do, and it ends in disaster.

come to find out, the "expert" at the hobby shop is a person who "specializes" in drones, planes, or cars -- or worse -- trains, and has zero knowledge in boats or subs.  he does, however, work at a hobby shop, which automatically makes him an expert at anything r/c related, and oddly enough, all of his advice results in him saying something like "i have exactly what you need right here in stock".

magnify this "expertise" by 2x when the discussion is about brushless motors or spektrum vs futaba radios.

As a Hobby Shop person, I can confirm all of the above while also offering my spin on things..Spektrum vs Futaba, easy, Futaba all day long, Spektrum over hyped and over rated! Brushless motors...just got my first brushless set up in a model and I am proud to say that I ignored all advice given by ex-aero modellers, fellow members stuck in an opinion rut, and fans of Hobbyking, thought it through, got it working, very chuffed!
The problem being that 'experts' cannot be identified easily, we (the experts) should be able to take a simple test, which will earn us a hat with EXPERT written on it, everyone else can then be happy that they are getting the right advice from the right people.
Thank you for listening, its nice when that happens %)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 03:39:08 pm »

and another thing........
"Can you advise me on the best set up, motor wise, for my project?"
"What would that be then?"
"I would rather not say at the moment..."
This has happened, not once, not twice, but over a dozen times over the years...you're not Barnes Wallace and you aint making a bouncing bomb, spill it!!!!

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »

Just to put the other side of the coin!

Perhaps some contributors albeit well intentioned come across as opinionated or condecending.

Some of us know we're not experts even though I've been dabbling for the last 50 years on & off. So when you do get feed back/advise, it is gratefully recieved but perhaps not acknowledged because of the way it's put.

I've asked straight forward guestions from posters before, only to to have a so called expert butt in with a critical post that has nothing whatsover to do with the question originally asked.

Sorry guys if you're offended, but that's how it is for me. :((

Misog

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 05:21:19 pm »

Oh yes, that would be me!

Its always nice to offer advice to people who appreciate the effort put in, but a minority can be more than a little difficult to help.
Over the years you have to develop a hide like a rhino, just to keep you the right side of sane, doesn't always help though!!

Keep the questions coming, there are some proper bright sparks here on the forum, just look out for their hats, that's how you can tell them apart.... :-))

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 05:41:44 pm »

A rather strange remark from someone so highly regarded within model boating circles,very narrow minded, and a wee tad selfish in my opinion.

Especially as I bought an unbuilt model kit of a lifeboat from that auction site a little while ago,( via my knowledgeable friend Neil) and will be opening my arms to helpers when I need such.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 06:06:40 pm »

With Neil as a mentor, you shouldn't need much help
from  anyone else Jim :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »

With Neil as a mentor, you shouldn't need much help
from  anyone else Jim :-))

Ned

Sadly Ned, neil has virtually given up model making.

His ferry that he was building for his daughter lies half finished, due to his terrible arthritis, and quips that his daughter who is well on her way to being a deck officer with the merchant navy will probably become a captain before he finishes her model........a little fed up these days to say the least.

He has said he will let me use his workshop to build the lifeboat once he musters the enthusiasm, but, really has lost his Mo Jo at present.

Jim.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 06:19:27 pm »

Very sorry to hear that, Jim.
Please give him all my best wishes and
tell him the Calmac ferry needs finishing
before daughter gets her first command.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:34:10 pm »

Very sorry to hear that, Jim.
Please give him all my best wishes and
tell him the Calmac ferry needs finishing
before daughter gets her first command.

Ned

I'll do that Ned.

cheers,

Jim.

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »

Heart warming to find that i'm not the only one who finds it a little off puting when one receives, shall we say tounge in cheek replies.

Puts you off posting again!

Misog O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.