Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italeri Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596 1:35 - My Build  (Read 11197 times)

zanussi

Re: ELCO sell out
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 04:19:03 pm »

I had hoped to move on to a pond now, but the poor fit of deck to hull persuaded me not to, I will gasket seal the deck down and screw before I put her on real water, need some gasket seal first. So back to the workbench to start on the deck houses, first the Bridge with some nice Photo Etch.

zanussi

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 04:21:38 pm »

The deck houses come in three removable sections, the base parts are seen here, essentially Bridge, Accomodation and Engine venitillation. It soon became apparent that the centre section would be the easiest to give access to the most commonly needed isolators.

zanussi

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 04:35:33 pm »

With the centre accomodation section removed there is loads of room for charges and isolators, need to tidy them up though. You can see in this shot how I have moved the red motor battery packs further aft. I also checked the stability in the bath, she bounces back nicely, I had been worried the motor was too high for stability.

Oh, don't bother getting on at me about the camoflage, I have spent too many years chipping and painting real ships to get over-excited on that score, at the end of the day Admiralty paint schemes (and presumably the USN equivilent) are guide lines, what actually goes on the vessle depends on availability of paint and the wants of the Skipper! In the case of the Elco it appears they were camoflaged to allow them to lurk close inshore of Pacific islands, or even under jungle overhang, during the day, and they go hunting at night. My boat will be painted with that in mind and based on what I happen to have in the paint box, this boat is for me to learn about making one go, not the minutia of paint.

After this I went on to fit the hull chines and paint below the waterline, then put it aside to take advantage of the great weather to work on the fibre glass hull of her big brother: Dog Boat.

madrob

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 10:47:53 pm »

Its moved on a fair bit from when i was there saturday....soon be chasing ducks.

sent you a link, about fiberglassing

zanussi

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 08:16:59 am »

Got it thanks Rob. Yes those cheeky ducks better watch out, Elco will be unarmed, but Dog will carry either a water cannon or a BB gun, been looking at the arsenal Lynn confiscated off the kids recently after catching them sniping out the bedroom windows, there is a compressed air pistol that looks particularly suitable for conversion!

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 02:34:48 pm »

was surfing and found this today, just fyi

PT-596 - 80' Elco Boat in Spectacular Detail 1/35th scale

Kit # PT121 $150.00 our price $125.00

Italeri’s PT-596 Torpedo Boat is a huge model.
At 1/35 scale, the hull length is 27.55”.
The tooling to create the hull is the largest single
part ever made by Italeri, weighing a massive 748 lbs. Italeri’s skilled designers, historians and craftsmen pulled out all the stops. This gorgeous, first ever kit of
this type from Italeri contains 322 parts molded in olive green plastic, plus
one clear acetate sheet for the windows, one photoetched fret containing 86
parts for torpedo fins, rocket launchers sides, 37 MM. gun ammo conveyor, gunsights, main mast aerials, instruments panel, deck lights, and seven screws.
The one piece hull and single piece deck are wonderfully detailed, as are
the on-board twin 0.50 Cal. machine guns positions. Finely engraved
Mk.13 torpedoes with side impulse launchers, containing 17 parts for each
unit add to the spectacular realism, along with the detailed exhaust with
silencers and rear smoke generator.

There’s more. Highly detailed 20 MM. Oerlikon and 37MM. M4 guns
(the M-4’s adapted from the P-39 aircraft) add to the armaments,
with two fearsome, front multiple rocket launchers and reserve
 weapons boxes on the deck.
The propellers are accurately shaped, as expected in a model of this quality
and precision. The meticulous in-depth exactness doesn’t stop here;
A 40 MM. dual role Bofors gun, (a kit within a kit, containing more than 50
parts is included too). Italeri has given the model builder a choice of open or
closed positions for the various escape and entrance doors on the deck.
The decal set is for the PT-596 that was in service in the very last days of WWII.
There’s even a reference manual included with the history and actual photos of the
full size boat. This magnificent model exemplifies Italeri’s “Culture of Modeling”.

Now Skipper you have your boat were is your crew?

This kit  will crew out 6 for your PT-Boat.
kit 0408 - 9.95

hope you find it interesting,
loads of stuff on this site as well.
robert

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 02:38:25 pm »

sorry meant to put link there, will post later
robert

http://www.totalnavy.com/35pt596.htm Also http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/it/build_it_5602.shtml

Martin  O0

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 05:03:47 pm »

oh, thanks martin, had to go run some errands, thats the one.
by the way saw you at Warwick, when we were sitting upstairs having a tea and then didn't see you again. hello anyway.
robert O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 05:43:18 pm »

( Re: Warwick. Good move!....... Don't disturb animals when they're feeding! ) {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

elmo

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 09:47:04 pm »

sorry meant to put link there, will post later
robert
http://www.totalnavy.com/35pt596.htm Also http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/it/build_it_5602.shtml

Martin  O0

Robert, sorry, but that first link doesn't work for me...?

Plus, have you more detailed info on those crew figures you suggest for the excellent Elco kit?

Much obliged to you - in anticipation.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 10:05:50 pm »

hi elmo,
thats the only way I know to get there, or just do totalnavy.com
sorry mate
robert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 01:14:03 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

elmo

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 07:02:53 am »

Try this.... - http://www.totalnavy.com/35pt596.htm

OK thanks, got there this time - Trumpeter crew, been chasing some figures but weren't aware of these - they look just great.  O0

I got my Elco from Relish Models (Internet Model shop) for about £50 then added the Eduard photo-etch detail set to it - tons of brass etch now! http://www.relishmodels.co.uk

I'll need some small motors if I'm going to have three live props, but I think its already been said, have to be careful with the weight in this hull - anyone have any feedback on these : http://www.ewinson.com/rf300ch.htm

Cheers for the assistance.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Italeri Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596 1:35 - My Build
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 12:02:36 pm »

hi elmo
you might want to give dave at action a call. he has a very good light weight 3 motor set-up that would be perfect for this kt. I saw it at the Modelboat show in Warwick. You can't go wrong and it will let thi kit run well in the water. I was wondering why yo only went with one prop to begin with.
 Glad you found the link. If you like the Elco , take a look at th PRB-MK II on that link, a Vietnam era patrol boat, the kit is plastic from Tamiya, but with some plastic magic and the right propulsion it would fly. Deans does a kit of her withthe jet propulsion at apparently its a rocket outof the pocket.
cheers robert
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.