Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Another Huntsman rebuild  (Read 61789 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Huntsman rebuild
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2020, 02:01:45 pm »

Thanks for that Ray, I've made a note of the company, like Chris It will be some time before I need them, but I think I've got an idea how it works now, print on water slide paper cover with lacquer the water separates the lacquer/ink from the paper slide on to the model am I close Ray?  anyway I'll do a bit of research for paper etc. it would be good to do a bit of practicing.

Thanks  Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2020, 05:10:38 pm »

Hi Joe - will be good to see another build. I would have built one of the smaller Precedent kits but they are 1:11 and I'm building my "fleet" at 1:12 so I'm scratch building. Only 3" I know but it would be longer than my Swordsman 33, can't be having that!

I do have one of the big 1:8 models though, which I bought off EBay. My first boat when getting into the hobby about 3 years ago.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2020, 06:10:24 pm »

Joe & Chris, one thing I did notice, when handling the decals - they were quite delicate compared to the ones you will have used when building Airfix models as a youngster however, the technique of immersion in water, slide decal from backing, apply decal to hull (or wherever needed) smooth out to remove any air bubbles, leave to dry.
Don't forget to apply a couple of coats of lacquer when that area of the model is finished.

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2020, 07:29:50 pm »

Thanks for the heads up Ray, I've done a bit of research and have ordered some ink jet clear paper and crystal clear lacquer, so I'll be able to have a go at it.

Regards Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2020, 07:42:45 pm »

Good on yer Joe, let's know how you get on  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2020, 06:43:30 pm »

Well, finally got the Port and Stbd deck edging glued on, with final trimming still to be completed once the deck planking is on.

more to follow...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2020, 06:47:41 pm »

Top of saloon masked off, sides, front and rear sprayed with Ford Riviera Blue, to match lower hull colour.
There's a bit of overspray crept under the masking tape - this will be put right when the paint has fully hardened off.

more to follow...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2020, 06:51:42 pm »

Bit of patching done on the after mahogany - again, this is something else to be fettled o/c planking.

Here's a few more photos...

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2020, 10:35:52 am »

Crickey Ray looks like your actually gonna finish it.  %% %)   only joking mate, interesting rebuild Ray, if mine turns out like that I won't be complaining, I was wondering whether to have single shaft/rudder or twin shafts/rudders looking at yours I'm leaning towards twin, not that I'm looking for lightning speed, just more in keeping with the real boat, and I'll probably go for open shafts and P brackets.

Regards  Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2020, 11:10:07 am »

Cheers Joe - yeah, the twin setup is okay for me, I'm not looking to break any records with the boat.
A couple of times I've considered fitting P brackets but not certain about it. The full size boat definitely has them though.

Now ready to start planking - never done this before so just need to get motivated and hopefully get it done soon.

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2020, 11:33:45 am »

Yeah I've been thinking ahead and when I get to the deck planking I plan on making a sub deck out of 1mm ply fitted dry to each side and fit and glue the planking to these sub decks off the boat so I can let the planks over hang and finish the edges when the decking's done and then fit to boat, dose all that make sense, well that's the plan anyway.

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2020, 11:42:06 am »

Well, that sounds like a good plan Joe, should work out ok  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2020, 01:05:58 pm »

Hi Guys

I'd definitely fit a P bracket Ray. As well as looking good it provides support to the prop tube when it sticks out as far as that. I'm fitting them to all my builds.

With my Swordsman build I've fitted a thin sub-deck like you're talking about Joe as my intention was to plank the deck. However I'm going to get the planking laser etched onto ply as I'm going to do with the Huntsman Sport. I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out I'll return to Plan A and plank it.

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2020, 01:30:24 pm »

I'd definitely fit a P bracket Ray.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll attempt that after the planking 👍🏻

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2020, 02:35:30 pm »

Joe

If you do go for twin props and rudders it's worth bearing in mind that with the full size boats they are not positioned at the mid-point between the keel and chine but a bit closer to the keel. Obviously with a deep vee hull this is to minimise one prop coming out of the water on tight fast turns.

I haven't done a twin motor set-up yet but I'd like to on one of my future builds.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2020, 03:38:24 pm »

Thanks for the tip Chris, I've seen some photos of the real thing and can get an idea from them the rudders are actually quite close to the transom, I done a few twin prop fitting on warships but of course they don't roll into the turn like deep vees.

sorry Ray I'll start my own log soon honest  :embarrassed:

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »

sorry Ray I'll start my own log soon honest  :embarrassed:

Joe

{-) {-) {-)
No problem Joe and of course, I'll be looking in when you do  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2020, 10:55:57 pm »

I've made a tentative start on the deck planking but, before I commit any further, I'd like to show a few photos for any feed back please...

Bear in mind, these few planks have not been stuck down yet. Also, when planking is complete and sanded down, it will be stained and varnished.

Regards,

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2020, 12:30:46 am »

Hi Ray - not easy I know, but now that you have produced the deck edging and bow detail it's crying out for curved planking.

Chris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2020, 12:51:21 am »

Thank you for your input Chris. I really appreciate your reply. The thought of curving the planking did occur to me when reviewing the photos and I know that it wouldn't be too difficult, due to the pliability of the lime wood.
I'll certainly have a crack at it in the next workshop session and compare the results before committing to the glue - talking of which - I'm still undecided as to which type of glue to use. Any ideas on that front would also be most welcome.

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2020, 10:24:01 am »

Visually, curved planking looks much better as it follows the line of the hull and as you say that is how the full-sized boats are.

There has been a number of posts on here over the years but I can't remember what glues were used. I think I'd use aliphatic resin. Takes longer to dry/set but I had to buy some more recently, this time from Deluxe Materials and it certainly grabs quicker than the previous stuff I had.

Chris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2020, 10:48:12 am »

Thanks again Chris, I'll try that on some scrap first and go from there  :-)) .

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2020, 12:39:47 pm »

Yeah have to agree with Chris defo curved planking (says him with it all to come)   {:-{   and defo Alphatic glue, Delux Materials probably the best one IMO. yes in all the years I worked in the boat building industry I don't recall ever seeing a straight planked deck.

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2020, 12:58:01 pm »

Looking great Ray  :-))   I agree with the other lads and definitely use aliphatic resin.  If you put a thin layer down with a brush and then move the plank backwards and forwards slightly when installing you will see that the glue grabs hold of the plank.  Saves using clamps and weights!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2020, 08:18:26 pm »

Chris, Joe and Mark, thanks for all your replies - so, curved planking it is  :-))
I've already got aliphatic wood glue, so that's a bonus...

Does anyone know what the maximum plank length should be and would there be any advantage in starting at the stern, working up towards the forward detail?

Regards,
Ray.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.