Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Another Huntsman rebuild  (Read 61821 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Huntsman rebuild
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2020, 09:05:33 pm »

Hi Ray

OK this is purely my own opinion so take it with a pinch of salt - I think that as long as the king plank (the one that runs straight up the middle) is straight then everything else follows.  You can just set the pattern to something that you like - or I guess that a plank would be no longer than 6 - 8 feet so I guess you could scale that up if you wanted.

For me as long as its symmetrical side to side thats good enough for me - oh and still hard to achieve but you'll do it no problem

Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:38 pm »

Cheers Mark, I'll have a dry run first and see how it's going to pan out.

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2020, 11:01:29 pm »

Hi Ray when I worked at Camper & Nicholson yachts I didn't actually work on deck planking that was always done by shipwrights but the teak planks were only around 2 1/2" wide but were 3 to 4 metres long it's easier to bend a long narrow length plus it keeps the number of joints to a minimum and as Mark said they started at the king plank.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2020, 11:19:18 pm »

Ok Joe, thanks for the info.
What I'm failing to understand is how you develop the curve from what would be a straight plank alongside the king plank and gradually radiating out to the deck edge.
I'll have another look at it after (hopefully) a good restful sleep  %) .

Regards,
Ray.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2020, 08:24:39 am »

Actually you start at the edge of the hull - that defines the plank's curve - and work towards the centreline.  This means the last few pieces are long thin triangles and need some careful fitting. If you look at Reply 21 of my J class build there are pictures of the process.

Happy building

Greg

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2020, 09:36:07 am »

Greg, just finished reading your yacht build and it's just what I needed. Actually, just before I left the workshop I took a full length of lime strip and pushed it up against the deck edging and thought, surely that must be the way to go.
I'll do a dry run later this evening to get a bit of confidence and take it from there.
By the way, I must admit I've never read a full yacht build before, - your J-class is a beauty. Thank you for the link :-))

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2020, 11:09:40 am »

Just to clarify the boats I worked on were Yachts and fundamentally differ at the bow to the Huntsman 31 with it's large round bow and to make things even harder the heart shaped detail of the capping that the planking abuts to, that is why I plan on using a .8 ply sub deck dry fitted to the boat and planked off the boat I thought it might be easier to fit the long slithers that Greg mentioned glued in place and trimmed when set, any way here's a couple of pics for inspiration.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2020, 11:36:31 am »

Ahh, brilliant. Thanks for sharing those pics Joe. All three with different planking applied.
Dry run this evening but I'm leaning towards the style of the one in the 1st photo.

Your idea of planking off the hull sounds like a very good idea.
Wish I'd thought of that...Still, onwards we go  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2020, 12:51:38 pm »

Planking off the boat will work if the deck is flat, but if cambered it won't  unless you can replicate the camber in the sub-deck which will be pretty much impossible!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2020, 01:00:19 pm »

Mine will only have a slight camber, so I can but try it, long way off though.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2020, 11:51:50 pm »

Update...

Following 4 aborted attempts at laying down planking over a couple of evening sessions, I've finally managed to make a start.
These first 2 photographs were taken last night - very little to see but at least it's a start...

...more to follow

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:07 pm »

The yellow-ish colour of the inboard plank (stbd side) in the above photos is due to the wood still being wet...

Managed to get just a little more done this evening...in between domestic duties, walking the dog, evening meal and Skype with family.

Just 2 photos to show how slow this is going.

Regards,

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2020, 07:22:39 am »

A really nice start on the deck.  The two tone wood is going to look lovely  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2020, 10:39:26 am »

I see your setting the bar high for me Ray, Thanks for that Mate  <*<

Joe.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2020, 11:03:06 am »

Nice work Ray  :-))
Regards David

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2020, 11:06:10 am »

Thanks for the encouragement Mark, I just hope I can do this justice when it comes to the scraping, staining and varnishing  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2020, 11:16:10 am »

{-) {-)

Joe, the bar may look high, but you're only seeing the images - I'm seeing the mess from grubby fingers etc
Also, the amount of efforts that were reduced to scrap when trying to get the shapes right - crazy  %%

Still, any progress is better than none  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2020, 11:21:24 am »

Thanks Dave, to quote a well used phrase -... "this is going to be a steep learning curve".

Still, I'm sure it will all turn out ok  %)

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2020, 12:37:57 pm »

Yeah I think bending deck planking is one of those things that doesn't scale down from the real thing that well, the plank may be scale size but the grain isn't just my opinion, we had a steamer at Camper&Nicholsons about 2 foot square and 20 feet long the teak planks were steamed over night and the shipwrights would dry fit 4 to 5 planks each side and clamp them over night next day when dried out some they were bonded down with Epethane (epoxy) then the cycle would start again.
Looking good though Ray.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2020, 01:14:59 pm »

Hey Joe, thanks for the insight to the full size operation - very interesting actually - as for bending the lime strips on mine, I just boil a kettle of water, transfer to an old tin coffee pot and leave the plank to soak for about 20 mins.
It still takes some effort to get the bends to conform to shape so, where necessary, I'm pinning in place and leaving to dry completely. Then it's just a case of marking the edges and ends, to represent the caulking and finally gluing in place and again holding with the pins.
It's slow going but should come out ok  :}

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2020, 01:28:18 pm »

Don't worry about the decking being a little messy at this stage.  As long as you focus on getting the joints tight it will all look lovely once you've finished, sanded or scraped the whole thing down and got some finish on it.  That warm glow of satisfaction awaits you in the future!  :-)) :-))

Greg

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2020, 01:59:07 pm »

Thanks for your input Greg. It's rather hard to visualise a beautiful finish at this stage but I know that, with time and patience we should end up with at least a decent looking model.
Some of the finishes we see on here and at model displays are really lovely to see.
Here's hoping all goes well  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

NigelTailyour

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2020, 05:03:19 pm »

By coincidence, I too am trying to make a deck on a very old Huntsman 31 found unused locally.
But I am a complete novice. So I am asking if you could let me know the type of wood and the side that I buy.
I have look in the online shops and the choice is too overwhelming! I have already bought the wrong thing and I hope to send it back.
Can anyone let me know the size and type of wood to use?
Many thanks

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »

Don't worry about the decking being a little messy at this stage.  As long as you focus on getting the joints tight it will all look lovely once you've finished, sanded or scraped the whole thing down and got some finish on it.  That warm glow of satisfaction awaits you in the future!  :-)) :-))

Greg

This is great advice  O0   Just take your time and when you do sand or scrape it back you will very happy with your work  ok2

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2020, 09:59:44 pm »

So I am asking if you could let me know the type of wood and the side that I buy.

Hi there Nigel, my deck is just a piece of old scrap plywood that I had lying around, can't even remember where I picked it up!
Anyway, it is 3mm thickness, measured about 900 x 300mm before trimming to fit. The ply is certainly not marine grade! - more like the kind builders use for stud walls. If I were just starting again I would probably go for birch faced ply.
Whatever you use, be sure to give it a few coats of sanding sealer, sanding down between coats.
You may also want to check out RadioJoe's build here : https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64796.0.html

You will find others as you browse around.

Oh, and welcome to the crazy world of model boat mayhem  :-))

Regards,
Ray.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.