Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37908 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2019, 07:55:22 am »

Hi Mark, both colours are the same wood, (Tasmanian Oak) but I’ve just used mahogany spirit stain to simulate mahogany. As to marking out I would suggest using a marking knife instead of pencil. If you can’t see it you can at least feel it. It’s use also minimises tear out when cutting. Mostly though I cut nearby and finish on sanding station. I find it’s much quicker.
It’s all made up as I go along. I’ve got to get some extension servo leads tomorrow. Unfortunately our one and only model shop is closing down at the end of the month. After that it’s all Ebay.
Im looking forward to meeting up maybe at the Black Country Museum, May or June, not sure when yet.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2019, 10:41:29 am »

Hi Jerry thanks for the advice and link - I've got a metal scriber that I'll try and see how that goes. I found with this mahogany that the small planks don't like to be cut with a knife along the grain.  It just starts to split, but its really nice to plane so I'm planing all of the tapers which weirdly I'm finding very therapeutic  :o

It would be great to meet up just let us know - The only time we are away is the late Bank Holiday in May

Mark

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:25 pm »

Today I drove to Fyshwick to the model shop to get an extra servo and some extension servo cables. Probably the last thing I’ll get from there as they close down next week, another victim of the internet.
On my return I sorted out mounting the servos for the regulator/direction lever and the whistle. To simplify I made two identical boxes, glued together with cyo, mounted a servo  in each and glued them in position under the starboard side deck using Gorilla Glue.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2019, 09:43:02 am »

I missed a pic for previous post.

Then postie delivered some dolls house equipment

Did a few more cockpit side planks then had some fun with building foam to fill as many void spaces as possible. Can be a bit unpredictable though. I was frantically cutting side planks to shape and glueing them in before a wall of foam advanced behind me. SL Wear wasn’t a suitable candidate for foam and I’ve always been concerned about possible sinking. I’m hopeful I’ve got enough reserve of buoyancy that this model can’t sink.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2019, 11:05:24 am »

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2019, 03:09:13 pm »

Jerry be careful using the expanding foam. Make sure there is always a space it can expand into. I used it in a hull once where it was completely closed in, During the summer three months after I had built the model, it was on display in the hot sun and suddenly the deck separated from the hull. While cutting the foam out I discovered that the center of it was still not set and on exposure started expanding. I contacted the manufacturer of foam and found out that if it was applied more than an inch thick there was a chance the center section would not set. I now use the rigid foam insolation and carve and cut it to shape to fill spaces.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2019, 11:34:22 am »

Thanks for that Gerald.  32°C in the shed today. I drilled through into the centre of the fore peak foam. It’s hard all the way through. I built up in layers, spaying watervas I went. It’s evil stuff, only moves when you’re not looking at it.
I continued with cockpit planking/foam until I ran out of stock. I decided I’d like to set the gas tank as far below the forward cockpit decking so I cut a hole in the decking, surrounded by a plywood ring. Cut up a plant pot to surround the gas tank, set the lot through the hole and squirted the foam in. Once it had set I removed the tank and plastic form. Tidied up put the deck back in. With the tank in the hole of course the burner is too low so I shortened the pipework, supported the joint inside a brass tube and soft soldered it. I’ll leave it like that for now. When I flash up the boiler I’ll check what temperature the joint gets up to. If too hot then I’ll silver solder it.  I think it will be ok though. 
I’ll get some more stock tomorrow. 

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:00 am »

Managed to get all void spaces filled with foam and all the cockpit sides closed in with access panels for servos and steering gear. The receiver batteries live under the engine. So basically that’s the hull construction complete. A bit of cleaning up and sanding to do then I can get some varnish on. 
Next time back in Oz it’s fittings and fixture, remake the regulator as it’s leaking past. I’ll bring copper pipe to get the steam plant sorted.

So that’s me done. I’ll be posting again sometime in November as we return to our Narrowboat end of the month for our cruise around the Midlands.
Thanks for watching
Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2019, 01:49:34 pm »

Hi Jerry,
The boat is coming along nicely,I would keep a check on the burner head, it looks very close to the timber, it's amazing how much heat is generated on that type of burner head and it may scorch the timber.

George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »

Hi George, how are you? I’ve been thinking about that very subject. It’s what passes for oak down here which should char rather than burn. It’s a work in progress and not finalised yet. I’ve got to find a couple of Terry Clips to locate the burner positively so will replace a section with aluminium chequer plate. I want to replace the aluminium sheet each side of the boiler with chequer plate which I can’t get down here. I’ll take some back with me. A small square of plumbers mat under the plate will protect below from any heat conducted through the clips. It will look more correct model wise.
Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2019, 06:20:24 pm »

Hi Jerry,

We are both well apart from the aches and pains of old age, we are both 80 this year mine in March and my wife in April.

We are sitting in the middle of a heat wave today( Sat ) last week it was hoods and anoraches with temps at 6C today I went out to the car and the temp recorded was 32C.

I am hoping to get back out on the bike but so far it's been a cold east wind, just to cold for this old fella. When I get out I have a 30 mile circuit that runs along the Forth and Clyde canal and then up into some nice climbing country roads, I should imagine that by the end of April it will be O.K. to get out.

The burner head that you have is similar to some that I have and I have found that about  a min of 1/2" from the O/D of the burner head is quite good and not too much scorching.

Take care and have a Happy Easter.

George

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2019, 12:09:14 am »

I seem to be catching you up but still a young 70. I did L’ Étape Australia again last December with My eldest daughter, then a 3 day tour around the Snowy Mountains. I’ve got an early bird entry for this December too. I’ve managed to lose a fair bit of weight which makes climbing more fun. Another five kilos and I’m going to treat myself to a second hand carbon bike. My present bike is just some serious cyclist’s training bike. It’s got good gear on it(105) and good wheels but the frame’s just an Ozzie Opollo equivalent. Only cost me £200. I’m glad it’s warmer there now. We leave Oz next week for our 6 months  on the boat
Cruising the Midlands. We carry a pair of bikes on the roof for shopping and stuff so intend to get some training in before the Étape. 
All the best to you both
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2019, 12:18:29 am »

George, my burner is a 2kW Sievert.  When I first tried it I found that when warmed up it would work upside down off liquid gas. When I butchered it to extend the nozzle a piece of brass rod fell out. I presumed this transferred heat to act as a vaporiser.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2019, 11:34:45 am »

I’m more or less at the end of this years work. I varnished the stand an also finished varnishing the launch inside and out.
The regulator/direction valve doesn’t work. It did until I silver soldered the pipes into the block. The heat distorted the block. I’m taking it back to the UK to give to my nephew Ben. He’s got the lathe and can true up the valve, bore it out a fraction and make a new ?bobbin?, which should cure the leaks.
I’ve not yet run the engine on compressed air so I made two manifolds today. I had to do them by hand. I cut a slice off a 1” brass round and cut it up a bit like a cake. A bit of drilling and soft soldering and once I get some hose I can run it on air. A bit rough and ready but will get the job done.
I also addressed the possible scorching problem of the burner by cutting some aluminium sheet to carry heat away and fitted two Terry Clips to locate the burner.

Until November ttfn
Jerry.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2019, 02:26:32 pm »

Hi Jerry great job love the old double enders actually helped build a full size about 16ft quite an experience ,just a suggestion a member of our club has a similar model and cleverly hid the gas bottle with a small timber step up and stowage cupboard,so hope the engine works well waiting to see her in the water
Cheers
John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2019, 02:40:43 am »

Hi John, my gas tank will become a table for two with champers nibbles and ragtime tunes. Should serve to hide the fact that the mirror image verticals aren’t.
Here’s a last look till spring. Laid up for winter.

Jerry.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2019, 05:45:58 am »

Yea Jerry that's the one looks better than a commercial gas bottle as I thin they look out of place on a well finished model anyway best of luck.Cheers
John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2019, 03:44:54 pm »

Jerry thats a lovely job it just looks fantastic and I agree with southsteyne2 we need to see some pictures of it on the water  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2019, 08:17:12 am »

I’m back in Oz! We’ve been back a fortnight. Had a few things to do though. Our daughter and son in law gave me a carbon bike for my 70th birthday. This was a super surprise as I was going to get one myself as a present to reward my weight loss. Since arrival I’ve been putting hours in on the bike to be ready for L’étape Australia in Jindabyne at the end of this month. This will probably be my last as it’s moving on next year and will need too much travelling to enter again. My little Honda CBR 250RA’s clutch springs gave out so clutch needed a rebuild paid for by selling my old bike on Market Place. Next it’s time to sell the 6 year old Ford Focus and get a 3 year old Toyota Yaris which is more suitable for city work. Still waiting on some paperwork before that’s finalised. Hope to swap tomorrow.

Enough of this, I’ve resumed work on the launch. Last year I ordered some bling from Cornwall Model Boats which we’re waiting here for me so I’ve installed that stuff and made a start on the stern seating and storage arrangements.

Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2019, 05:42:35 pm »

Good to see you back building Jerry and you go easy on that bike!  My moneys on George in a race 👍

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2019, 06:02:42 pm »

:-))  Great build...will you cover the gastank..with a box  with firewood and coal?  have you don the shipclock  ,,,

Regards Bernhard

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »

Hi Jerry,
Good to see you back on the bike, it's really nice but what's that up your jumper ?

t's far to cold up here just now to go out, temps today were quite constant at 1C all day and it sure looks as tho' it's another cold one tomorrow.

George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2019, 10:33:02 am »

Hi George, Étape Australia rules bar E bikes but said nothing about E riders. That’s my fuel cell under my jersey.
Hi Bernard. Tank will have table and bench seats hiding it.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2019, 02:12:53 am »

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay]The new car, Étape Australia all sorted and done. In between I’ve been doing stuff on the launch. I need the gas tank and burner to “disappear” so first off I made a table with two short front legs. Next a pair of side benches and finally a curved bench for the after end. Made freehand with bits of strip, a little wood stain and cyo. Finished off with a few thin coats of varnish. 40° temperatures in the shed mean I can get three coats on in a day. Next I needed to make cushions for the benches. Previously on Wear I actually made cushions like real but in miniature. Never liked them so what to do. I got some 1/2” foam, some thin, stretchy maroon cloth. I cut the foam to shape, then stuck it to the benches with spray contact adhesive. Finally covered the foam with material, again, using contact adhesive. Result was crap. Just not right and glue not fit for purpose. Then I started thinking outside the box. Nobody will actually be sitting on them so no foam, make from wood (scrap Melamine), cover with material using previous glue and bunch up underneath. Leave two days then use belt sander to remove material underneath then screw completed cushions to bases. Looks real. [/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay]Finally will get Mary to crochet a doily tablecloth. [/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Display][/color][font=.SFUIDisplay]Also I found some miniature hinge bling in Bunnings. [/font][/color][/font][/size]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.