Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4  (Read 17934 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 10:12:14 am »

I wonder if they learned anything for the next sets of locks...no boats for example %)    Pretty steep slopes at Muirton locks.   Did any of the model railway forums comment ?    Were the local Inverness club members involved ?
..well can you land on this?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 12:04:15 pm »

There is an article in this month's Model Rail magazine by one of the participants, a network rail engineer. He had a great time and would do it again. I suppose you had to be there. Anyway beats watching some of the other rubbish currently on TV.
Don't Assume Check

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:09 pm »

Watched the first two episodes - really have to question the aims of the program.  It does seem to be another vehicle for an over excitable presenter.
As to the maritime effort - it would be interesting to know just what the failure was.  Losing radio contact over a range of less than a couple of hundred yards with what looked to be 27 or 40 Mhz gear just should not happen.  Unless the receiver had its own battery which had been forgotten.  Or the filming vastly over-ran and the boats main battery didn't have enough life.  But either way, the boat was vastly overloaded with a heavy load pushing the CoG too high and probably too far back.  Add to that, nobody seemed to have lashed the load down, and whoever designed the recovery cradle forgot that wood floats. 
I am left wondering what would have happened to their unballasted wooden viaduct over the ford if it had rained up the valley.  Since nothing appeared in the trailer, they likely got away with it.

Who cares !!!, They were having fun and playing....

inertia

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 01:46:05 pm »

Thanks to Larry Longbuild for 'ungrumping' this thread. The programme was made for the purpose of entertainment but if it doesn't do that for you then too bad.
DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 02:18:25 pm »

Thanks to Larry Longbuild for 'ungrumping' this thread. The programme was made for the purpose of entertainment but if it doesn't do that for you then too bad.
DM

:-)) :-)) :-))
Unfathomable
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:18 pm »

Don't like Dick, or the other bloke, Clare's not bad and makes the programme almost acceptable, notice I say almost.  I have no doubt that due to the magic of television they will succeed in their endeavours.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 03:56:29 pm »

Talking of magic, you dont suppose the Dutch Barge cum tourist motel that rescued the quad just happened along ?  Was it the mother-ship and accomodation for senior TV production members, film crew, medics, Canal personnel  etc ?  The minions had pop-up tents ashore to keep the spirit of pioneers going.  It is good to have some lighthearted banter, no grumps here {-)   Thanks for the info Dougal. :-))
..well can you land on this?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 12:01:41 pm »

I am curious as to whether the track laid stays put when they have filmed the little journey along it and out of view.  ? 

Is this  'pulled up ' and re-laid into the next section to prevent vandals and stray animals. ?     :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 12:05:38 pm »

Has there been a close up of the "track" yet?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 12:11:55 pm »

We were shown a plastic strip of 'U' shaped track which clipped together by compression at each end.  Occasionally the train would steer itself off the rails and tip over.

I should think a lot of  'modellers' are cringing in their seats at the assembles used.    :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 03:10:43 pm »

Anyone recognise that style of track?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »

I have to be blunt guys and say that this programme is an insult to modelling and those of us who are associated with it. It's just another dumbed-down TV programme as are so many these days.
Of course I have become a lemming and watched the first two episodes - squirming on the sofa - at how pathetic it was.

Give me the gang who display on the pool at Warwick and we could make a TV prog about modelling that would educate, inspire and amaze people ..... but of course no production company would be interested in a making a proper programme.

So next year at Warwick I will put on my Jeremy Clarkson voice and the commentary will be as follows ........ Today, Martin wears an even louder shirt, Steam Boat Phil goes up in flames and Chris Scott causes James Bond to get moist. As for Paul Chilcott ...... some say, he only comes out of his shed to sail boats and only breathes super glue fumes!

Hey ho!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »

{-) {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 07:09:22 pm »

Well said Steve, what a gang of Wallies!
Roy

Stavros

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 08:25:42 pm »

Blooming heck that looks like my daughters Thomas the Tank train track  O0

Steve....it has GOT TO BE DONE  AT the warwick show i DARE  you

Dave

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 09:03:29 pm »

I have to totally agree with Steve Dean's comments regarding this programme where it might make more people interested in our hobby for me it's not. They also previewed the next programme with a load of flames where the gas has been ignited in some way, well the steam regs are complicated and involved as it is but some H+S officer might take a very dim view of this and completely change the rules on the strength of what he saw on the programme.
When James May did all his challenges for his TV show (Toy Stories) it was great, he also got involved himself instead of just running around with a radio in his hand, the main man at Hornby told me after that show really put Hornby back on the market after the show. Also James May had good blokes helping him including the general public where Dick Strawbridge uses young people and calling them team leaders and you could see it was upsetting the others in the last show??? I don't know if it was because the show was done on the cheap but I would love to see James May do this same route and at least you could watch it and have a laugh. I'm not a Top Gear fan but JM has a good way of showing how things work but I won't be watching the rest of the three shows of Biggest Little Railway. It could have been a much better show as the scenery is fantastic in Scotland but the way it's been done it makes us look a laughing stock.

Regards
Kevin

Mike Fry

• Shipmate
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:41 pm »

Hello
The Track looks a lot like Mattel "Hot Wheels" track.  So simple but hours of fun, can you still get it?

RST

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:59 pm »

I believe they said in episode 1 it was a custom made plastic extrusion.  Some form of dross about regular steel rails not providing enough traction!?.  My theory was it was too expensive to use off the shelf stuff.  There's also a comment I saw on a MR forum about it being split radius or something on curves -which probably doesn't help when there's 100 years of manufacturing experience on the off the shelf stuff.  I'm still struggling to believe they ordered 70'odd miles of custom made track and laid it in one go.  Perhaps the last episode might confirm my thoughts they did it one mile at a time and everyone only had a limited amount of time to do their bit.  Stay tuned I guess.

Anyone recognise that style of track?

Mike Fry

• Shipmate
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 10:42:42 pm »

Hello
Ok i did not see that bit it could be because i record everything so i can jump over the adverts and miss bits.
With hindsight 0 guage Hot Wheels now that would be more fun. Yes as has been pointed out the program has more holes than the Titanic.
It does seem to lack something though.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 09:17:10 am »

Just yet another TV programme about modelling that show all of us to be
A childish
B stupid
C unable to comprehend basic logic
 And them presented in a fashion to make us look all of the above.
Reminds me of that crap series by Mark whatever his name was.
Railway modelling.....the second largest hobby in the UK after fishing.
But take modelling as a whole, As per fishing .... and i beg its the largest hobby in the UK
 But not a single TV documentary will do it justice

As a kid i watched Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves and wanted to all the things he did. Fishing, ratting, pony and cart, Woodworking . All the old school stuff. Even Magpie, How and Tomorrows World were informative and made you want to do something. Nowadays all we get is dumbed down dross, as that's what TV think we want. I would rather see a 45 minute programme on how the engine was made for the TV series! When it fell in the water and had to dry out...he took it apart....but surely any sane normal modeller would have set it back up and checked it was running before taking it to the start point! And the bloke was an engineer from the firm that made the engine so he should have known....but that does not make good TV.
Anyway rant over.  Will watch next episode....only to see if they can actually make themselves look bigger arses than they already are.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:21 am »

I think that with a lot of this type of programmes the producer has an entirely different agenda from what the participants may have been led to believe. The TV people will also have only the flimsiest grasp of the subject matter and no interest in anything other than 'what makes good TV' - i.e. nerdy people making fools of themselves.

It rarely ends well, the participants find they have been misrepresented and all the bits they thought were any good have ended up on the cutting room floor. Unless it goes wrong it isn't good TV. The days of Bob Symes are long gone although James May's little recent series was thoughtful and interesting - very much the exception though.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 10:08:28 am »

It did mention that the track was a custom extrusion.  I don't know if the entire 70 miles will be laid concurrently, requiring the purchase of 70 miles of the stuff, or whether they will have to do it a bit like Wallace and Grommit in the greatest chase scene of all time.  Lay several days worth, set off along it then recover the used part and leapfrog it ahead.
There does seem to be a basic lack of understanding about mechanical things - an 0-4-0 shunting loco is not designed to hurtle along a main line nor is it intended to go round curves quickly, especially on rough-laid track with very uncertain evenness. 
I do have sympathy for those with expertise and ability on the show, but the bits that will stick in the minds of viewers will be the largely predictable mishaps.  They do know what they are doing, but are being led by executives who don't.  A bit too much like real life. 
I would still like to know the reason for the radio fail under the bridges.  Guessing that it was OK in all the rehearsals and nobody knew where the battery charger was.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 11:06:32 am »

The Producers we see now came up through the making of Commercials where a 2 second shot is too long.  Which is very confusing for the elderly and easily confused like myself.
However I still seem to have more practical marbles left in the grey department than your general TV viewing public being catered for.  I suppose the ultimate is Gogglebox!  Where the viewer watches others watching TV.
I am getting the feeling that the more aware members of society go out and do something they enjoy or practice their hobbies perfected over the years at home.
I recommend Radio4 / Classic FM for this, or also in my case I have Audio books from the local library and model in peace.  A good epitaph may he Model in Peace!
I have a game I play when reading with R4 on, I score a point every time I read a word that is used simultaneously on the radio, never got beyond 3 though!
Sorry got a bit carried away during coffee break!
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 11:20:53 am »

Yes, constant cutting from scene to scene is very irritating as you don't get to see anything properly. It's even more annoying when they repeat the same clip again and again. I suppose it's all about dynamic presentation. In 2016 when they were reporting on the Battle of Jutland they would show a superb shot of dreadnoughts steaming in line and after a second or two cut to some talking head so you simply did not get the opportunity to appreciate the sight of a battlefleet at sea. Criminal!

Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.