Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build  (Read 22086 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2019, 12:41:44 PM »

Hi All

I've not posted on this build in a while but the planking is going ok albeit very slowly but I'm getting there.  To have a bit of a break from it I decided to make a rudder out of the same mahogany, as the supplied plywood one just would not look right.  This boat has a HUGE rudder  {-)

So first off I cut up some pieces of mahogany well over size and thickness and used loads of glue to join them together

Once dry I sanded them down and squared it off and ended up with what looks like the top of a dining table fit for a dolls house!

Then using the original rudder I marked out its shape and then simply cut and sanded it until I was happy with the results

I think that this wood I'm using must be quite old as its as hard as stone and difficult to sand down.  The rudder post is 4mm diameter so to get it in the middle and make the sanding of the groove in the rudder easier I used a table saw to rough out the shape.

I'm really pleased with the results as I've never done this sort of thing before.  I'll update the hull progress soon once I've got something worthwhile to post

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-)
Its not the finishing that matters - Its the journey along the way that counts

Fairmount Alpine Build http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/bXv
Anteo Tug Build http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59708.0.html

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »

Looks very nice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up