Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever looked at a kit and said I could change that  (Read 1745 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Ever looked at a kit and said I could change that
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:35:17 am »

Have you ever looked a kit and said I could change that we the 5 amigos are looking at the model slipway kit of Caspar a coastal freighter and have come up five different ideas.
Mine is to build a new foredeck and raising the bridge deck one level and fit a crane up front and make it into a grab dredger  .
Baz he is looking at a double cargo ship with car and caravan as deck cargo flip the hatches over and you have a coastal tanker pipes plumbing etc so he gets two for one .
Mark wants to raise the bridge level like mine and fit a side  winch  A frame aft and make a cutter suction dredger out of it with a hopper were the hatches are so the trailing arm can lower down and up again.
Phil wants to fit double derricks fore and aft and make it more like a coaster complete with deck cargo etc .
Freddie wants to mount the bridge on the bow a smaller 50,s slim style two level bridge and raise the stern accommodation like a passenger cargo ship interisland trader type of ship.
It is great to see some different ideas from a basic kit other ideas were a cattle carrier ,naval replenishment ship ,wreck salvage ship,rock carrier for building a breakwater Baz again thinking way outside the box a trawler and fish farm ship even a ship with a conveyor  belt to collect the plastic rubbish in the ocean on the side of her.
Had a great afternoon talking about some thing totally different that we could all build to our own ideas we even looked at there 4 and ten hatch model as well and we all like the 60,s style coaster  .
What about you guys what are your thoughts about changing it around to make something else tassie48

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Ever looked at a kit and said I could change that
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 06:15:51 am »

I think you are not alone.  :}
I have made mods to a sailing boat, but basically only changed the sail plan, including extending the bowsprit.

Additionally the manufacturer, Victor models, has used the same hull for a different model.
Seeing as you are using kits, it might be worth buying just hulls and save yourself a few bob, as well as avoiding having redundant parts.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 09:21:54 am »

Hi with you all the way.  Going back a while I made the static Amati Endeavour (1/35 scale) work as an RC yacht.  I am working on altering the Bella yacht at this moment and have a coaster up on the self I am re-working the bridge detail (wrong way round) and updating fittings etc.
I started some years ago to use the Grand Banks fishing (sail) boat hull from Model Boats magazine and create an English fruit boat circa 1890, I stopped due to working out the detail on running a square sail but she is almost complete.

I also have a static display yacht (£5 at auction less sails and mast) to examine for going on the water with RC.
I am just about to launch my re-built Billing Mary Ann (ex ebay) now with crew and a proper propeller and shaft and metal rudder, ex ebay.
These small models are great for the new-ish micro servos, they just slip into the rudder bay area.
I also have a GG Noggsund I made that I have lengthened into a small cargo boat.
 But I like to build the hulls myself if I can.  I have a lot of wood I am trying to turn into models before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
There is another thread going where a warship is being turned into a yacht, satisfying on several counts.

I keep looking at that Caspar boat as well! What about all different use boats but under one operating company so that you have a small fleet with say similar funnels?
regards Roy

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 12:17:29 pm »

Hahahaha

This is me every time I build a boat!

I can literally count on one hand how many boats I’ve built “as per the plan” and it involves giving the two finger salut!

The rest of my fleet has been highly modified some from simple changes to bring a better level of accuracy to a somewhat plain boat, and others full on massive changes to the point where you wouldn’t recognise the  original by any means.

This I think is the point of modelling personal customisation!
 To suit your ideas and needs!

I’m not much of a rivet counter in regards to fine detail and accuracy...
Not I can’t do it, it’s more like the negativity of other people who seam to have an input on your projects and enjoy pointing out your fractional misplacement of this and that....

For someone like me hearing a comment like that drives me literally red and is a big reason why I rarely do such detail accurate builds... it’s no fun to spend a couple of years working on a project to get pointed out you have an extra panel line, a rivet out of place or a gun placement not quite right... it’s even worse at shows where you have other ability levels, and some work either looks superior or far from par in comparison, or members of the public pointing stuff out that you never knew or simply don’t care about since it’s a model not a full size vessel...there’s no fun in that...

So enjoy your build no matter what you do to it!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:20:11 pm »

The Deans M15 Monitor kit that I bought at Wickteed show in 2016 is becoming M19 instead with a radically different turret, different vents on the Foc'sle and also a reconfigured superstructure caused by the choice of powerplant.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 06:06:50 pm »

Most kits I have end up getting the chop and rebuilt to look like the full size vessel 1062 is a prime example.

Stan.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 06:13:47 pm »

Wow Stan the really is a beautiful boat  :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 06:17:56 pm »

Yes, sometimes you look at a kit and say, "That's got to go..."  <*<

O0

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 06:22:57 pm »

many times, tassie...........but it doesn't mean to say that the kit isn't a good kit, just that different people have different levels of build experience........

a kit is produced to help those with limited tools and sometimes limited space and experience, and the more experienced one becomes, the more one changes things to how they model....

there is too much kit bashing these days just because someone doesn't like the way the designer/manufacturer has developed the kit..........and as many do.........there is nothing wrong with changing how and in what form you build it.

neil.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 06:33:35 pm »

Hi Neil I have to agree with you comments. I have been building for many years now And my skill levels have improved from those early days of building. I would say 90% of kit builders are happy with what comes out of the box. But do not be afraid to add that extra detail should you wish

Stan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.