Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats magazine, other model magazines.... and shows!  (Read 33456 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Model Boats magazine, other model magazines.... and shows!
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2018, 09:05:48 pm »

A recent thing with Airfix type model kits is the way they fit and look- how many cut their teeth on Airfix kits which fitted terribly and detail was either non existent or incorrect? Airfix when they were bought by Hornby went through a massive shake up and actually purchased a LIDAR set and went out of their way to retool most of their model tools. Now they are considered one of the best model kit producers out there and seem to be getting stronger.
Now when I was a kid (not that long ago!) I was quite content at correcting and modifying kits to suit my tastes but I think that the Airfix of today have realised that A the modeller of today wants something they can build without any fit problems, B the correct shape and detail- the internet has helped massively in this way, and C something fairly cheap for the quality.
I build kits and I scratch build and I think it has to do with my interests and my willingness to get what I want even if I have to build it myself from nothing, my JEngO is amazed at my model making skills (I consider myself to be average-ish) and I thinks it due to schools not teaching basic woodwork. I wasn’t taught this at school- it had been cut from my school’s schedule a long time ago but all the equipment was still there including a furnace and forge! With this generation getting interested in engineering via apprenticeships this might now change and give us modellers some new youngsters to have a go.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2018, 09:16:58 pm »

Having been to Telford and local I P M S shows also model railways in the north footfall does not seemed to have dropped off. Admission charges seem not to be a problem. Both groups seem to spend lots of cash to enjoy there hobbies.The future for model boats is to incorporate other disciplines and rename the event to a model show. Sadly with out this change and the understanding that admission charges must cover the costs of hiring the venue. Sadly with out changes some shows may disappear.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:38 am »

I've personally never gravitated towards shows that aim at a single sector of the hobby. I've been to one or two, but rarely felt compelled to return. I much prefer multi sector shows, as you get a cross-pollination of ideas which can inspire alternative ways of doing things. Model boating is rarely at the cutting edge, it's nearly always model aircraft that lead the technology, much as in 1:1 engineering.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2018, 12:24:10 pm »

Perhaps it's just you Neil... ;)

Colin

nope...…..not at all, Colin...……..I can get on with anyone who treats me with respect, and I will treat them with the same respect also…….what I do not like is the person who treats me with no respect or like an idiot, and then, like Stavros and a few others on here, I don't mince my words and give both barrels for that is all they deserve and understand.

only yesterday I had someone message me out of the blue on Facebook asking me if I would repair a model lifeboat for them because they knew nothing about model making......so, (obviously not from this site as we all have some general knowledge of the hobby) they were relying upon my  great expertise built up over 58 years to solve their problem for them...

I told them that a simple repair was not always simple and sometimes, because of the way it was constructed and painted in the past by someone else, might end up as more than just a simple repair, and I sadly didn't "do repairs", but if they wanted to go ahead I could pass them on to someone who might do it...…so could they send me photos of the model and the damage...…...you wanna know what they said.....

quote...."thank you, we will try to send you some photos in the next few weeks"...…….now that is why I get grumpy and behave like an old bar steward to people that don't show respect.....so, I'm not grumpy unless someone makes me grumpy, and then I speak my mind...…..and if they don't like me being grumpy and can't take the truth......then treat me with respect in the first place...…….

you, as a judge at the MEX would see one side of the coin with exhibitors, them knowing that they and their model needs to make a good impression whereas talking to some of the general public asking them what they might conceive as yet another inane question, is the other side.........and ignorance towards public viewers does exist amongst exhibitors, and even you cannot deny that.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 12:34:19 pm »

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »

Neil,

I agree that you always get people like you describe and who assume that you are providing an (often free) public service and they get my goat as well. As part of my connection with Model Boats magazine and its Forum I get to deal with all sorts of direct enquiries from readers some of which are indeed terse and even rude. They tend to get short shrift in a polite sort of way, usually by being pointed in the direction of doing a bit of research for themselves instead of expecting us to provide free tutorials or instant answers. But in general enquirers are polite and appreciative of help given and advice on avenues to explore for themselves.

With regard to the MEX, except on judging day I always preferred to leave my badge off and just talk to people generally, not always revealing my position. Certainly on judging day we never got into conversation with the exhibitors while judging was taking place and any exibitors who were hovering around trying to overhear us were chased away sharpish. Once the awards had been made then no problem. In earlier days there was in fact a separate judging day at which neither the exhibitors nor the public were present but that got a bit expensive for the organisers. Most people are generally nice, some aren't. I'm just sorry that that one experience many years ago put you off for ever and that you have missed so much as a result.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 05:20:17 pm »

Neil,

They tend to get short shrift in a polite sort of way, usually by being pointed in the direction of doing a bit of research for themselves instead of expecting us to provide free tutorials or instant answers.

I'm just sorry that that one experience many years ago put you off for ever and that you have missed so much as a result.

Colin

That's where you and I differ, Colin...………….you are far too polite, and i'm just a crusty old sod...…...always have been and probably always will be.....

it wasn't the actual exhibitors at the show either, as I can deal with ignorance in my own way, that put me off going again...…...I actually enjoyed the models themselves every one of them...…….it was just the long drag down there from Fleetwood in a coach with people from the club, that half of them I didn't like anyway......and then waiting for two idiots from the club that were an hour and a half late getting back to the coach...…….because they had gone to a restaurant for a meal before coming back to the coach for another 5 hour plus journey home..

if the exhibition was in Manchester, Liverpool or even at the NEC Birmingham, I probably would have gone more often as I did go to Ellesmere more often.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:50 pm »

Neil,

Well, I don't blame you not wanting to come all that way under those circumstances. Blackpool is a bit far for me these days. I can do Warwick in a day though despite 20% of the M25 en route.

As for being a crusty old sod I do recall you once informing me that you could start a fight in an empty room but I'm told that advancing old age has mellowed you considerably  ok2

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:06 pm »

Neil,
As for being a crusty old sod I do recall you once informing me that you could start a fight in an empty room but I'm told that advancing old age has mellowed you considerably  ok2

Colin

I put it down to listening to Classic FM  instead of AC/DC, lol.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 09:42:00 pm »

I put it down to listening to Classic FM  instead of AC/DC, lol.

I'm shocked Neil  :o not listening to that great Aussie rock band, you must really be getting old {-)

PS, don't tell anyone, but I'm not a big fan either %)

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 10:32:10 pm »

I'm shocked Neil  :o not listening to that great Aussie rock band, you must really be getting old {-)

PS, don't tell anyone, but I'm not a big fan either %)

Peter.

I am a great fan of AC/DC Peter...….the first time I ever saw them was in 1977, Canberra High school was getting rid of their 6th form [year 11/12] in a rationalisation and asked Campbell high school which I  taught at to join forces to help pay for a fledgling Australian band to play at the last gig for the students before the years were closed.........the bill for their appearance was 500$AS

The band was AC/DC...… and of course it was the original line up...……..been a fan ever since and seen them including that early gig, 5 times...…..just can't afford a ticket these days...…..£500 quid a ticket seated...….how times have changed...……..but I think they beat any American heavy metal band, hands down.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2020, 10:23:25 am »

Re Model Boats magazine September 2020.
I liked the article by Ashley Needham on the 'flying boats'.  Nice bit of fun, the shape of the hull reminds me of my first Jetex 50 boat that I built from an Adamcraft kit, this had the definitive sections smoothed away.  The boat in balsa was slightly heavier than the bright yellow RTR one but looked much better on the water.  Pocket money would only allow half a dozen pellets of fuel so only limited running time.  By chance I painted my one bright red as well!

Maybe the next step with Ashley's version could be a stern hydrofoil to just lift the stern?  And what about a RTR ducted fan for the drive?
Regards
Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2020, 11:23:38 am »

..................The band was AC/DC...….…..just can't afford a ticket these days...…..£500 quid a ticket seated...….they beat any American heavy metal band, hands down.
£500 at ticket!!!  {:-{    >>:-(
Totally agree about US rock bands but I prefer some UK rock bands of the 1970's & 1980's. ( Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple)

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2020, 12:52:50 pm »

Any one have a spare copy they'd like to sell, or know where I can get a copy of, Model Boats September 2020?I missed out on my subscription copy and Model Boats can't supply a replacement.The local newsagents haven't got the August issue and aren't expecting to get it or the September one.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:09 am »

Any one have a spare copy they'd like to sell, or know where I can get a copy of, Model Boats September 2020?I missed out on my subscription copy and Model Boats can't supply a replacement.The local newsagents haven't got the August issue and aren't expecting to get it or the September one.

Can not see September anywhere yet.

August Available on Ebay  £ 4.99 & 6.80 £ Postage  ( RM Hiked up the prices recently)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Boats-Aug-2020-Vol-70-838-Tunam-Plan-LCM-6-and-Lady-Isabella/333755257583?hash=item4db55d12ef:g:wk0AAOSw7gpfiJxr&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

Se

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2020, 02:53:10 am »

Thanks guys for the replies.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:51 am »

You can have my copy for the price of the postage. PM me your address.
Don't Assume Check

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2020, 11:12:24 am »

PM sent.
Thank you for your generous offer.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2020, 08:29:10 pm »

Was just checking the publication date of the new Model Boats magazine and noticed that it was shown as the December 2020/January 2021 edition. Does this mean that they are going to bimonthly issues?
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2020, 08:56:30 pm »

Was just checking the publication date of the new Model Boats magazine and noticed that it was shown as the December 2020/January 2021 edition. Does this mean that they are going to bimonthly issues?
Jim

Simple answer, No,
From Model Boats magazine forum, it explains all:
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=169228
Nick B

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2020, 09:27:32 am »

Have any MB subscribers had their Dec/Jan copy yet? Mine hasn't arrived.  {:-{

Greg

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2020, 10:05:20 am »

No allegedly they held it back cos the shops are shut  due this  Lockdown available on digital  never mind anyone who subscribes

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2020, 10:11:31 am »

Mine arrived on Monday
Nick B

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.