Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New EU Car Directive..?  (Read 5237 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
New EU Car Directive..?
« on: July 27, 2018, 08:28:53 pm »

Hi, Has any one heard if there has been some sort of EU Directive saying that no Cars over 1000cc can be sold after September ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New EU Car Directive..?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:36:38 pm »

Well that would effectively destroy the European motoring industry so not very likely I would think!
Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 08:43:00 pm »

Agreed, it would fairly ruin Fiat for sure.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »

Will have to find out what was exactly said but the wording I was given was that they could not order a new Nissan over 1000cc from September ?
All sounds a bit strange and probably a misunderstanding from what the Dealer actually said.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »

Oh boy, I can take the dust sheets off the Cooper-Norton  {-)
..well can you land on this?

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 09:41:30 pm »

Well thats my Toyota C-HR gone then it might be an hybrib but it is 1.8 I was due to change the Auris in october

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:12:19 pm »

It's probably that particular engine doesn't meet the new emissions regulations.

New petrol engines are going to have to be fitted with particulate filters like diesels are already.

Definitely a misunderstanding!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:18:04 pm »

particulate filters like diesels are already.

What......potential for more VW Gate issues?  :P
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 10:37:53 pm »

It's probably that particular engine doesn't meet the new emissions regulations.

New petrol engines are going to have to be fitted with particulate filters like diesels are already.

Definitely a misunderstanding!

This Makes more sense.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 11:19:58 pm »

So no Mercedes, very few Audis and equally few BMWs could be sold then?

Somehow I don't think so...........................  %)
Regards
Kit

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 11:29:00 pm »

Oh boy, I can take the dust sheets off the Cooper-Norton  {-)

arrow, have you actually got one of those little beasties...……………...please post a photo...……..they are wonderful machines.……...the engine alone is worth a fortune these days for Manx Norton restorers...…...what machines, you lucky man.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 10:06:32 am »

particulate filters like diesels are already.

What......potential for more VW Gate issues?  :P

It's been reported that manufacturers are already massaging the new "real world" consumption figures. Not by lowering them, but actually making them look worse (!!!) so that it will be easier to meet future targets. This a number of different manufacturers. They have been rumbled though and the testing authorities are looking into the "irregularities".
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 10:15:42 am »

Sorry Neil, nope no 500 Cooper but I used to have a T39 Manx Tail  1100 Cooper (ex Lance Reventlow of Scarab F1fame). Basically an F2 single seater with a full width body. Same suspension , transverse spring and wishbone front and rear , same as 500 but beefier. Citroen gearbox with ERSA gears. Foolishly sold it to an American who more foolishly planned fitting a small-block Chevvy :o , don't know if he survived %)  .  Cooper then did it right and brought out the Monaco but had to put the seat to one side. Lost track of it but it looked like this but was red with black stripe. ( Pics from Web)
..well can you land on this?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 10:19:00 am »

You can't extract power from nowhere. Internal combustion, despite all the bells and whistles, still chucks the vast majority of power straight out of the exhaust.

Most of the efficiencies on modern engines are only found at part throttle, e.g. sitting at a fixed speed with not much change in terrain. Most driving is anything but.
The only way companies are going to extract significant improvements in efficiency from cars with internal combustion engines is to reduce their weight. As the average modern car is built like a chieftain tank, and weighs about the same, that is unlikely to happen without a significant shift in manufacturing techniques.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 03:19:04 pm »

I'd love to hear other people's opinions on which way they think the government will take car taxation.
How will they tax electric cars when they reach a critical mass on the roads? No capacity to measure, no emmisions to measure so how will a Leaf compare to a Tesla? Will it be on the battery capacity or the motor kW?

Is the best way to go to buy an old series 1 Land Rover so it is not taxable, fit a Range Rover chassis and basic Diesel to run it on chip fat? Everything is maintainable and replaceable - just watch out for the tax man.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 03:35:15 pm »

My latest  petrol BMW 3 Series is 1600 cc  but is only a 3 pot. Before buying I was a bit concerned that it would be a bit asthmatic compared by my previous 2 litre. I should cocoa, best engine ever , silky smooth (crankshaft balancer) gets me away at the lights like nitrogenous deposit off a shovel with box in comfort mode and is totalling 38 mpg. If that is not progress I don't know what else you could expect.

With regard to new EU emissions directives coming into force in  September , I received a sales email a few weeks ago ( can't remember if it was from BMW or Audi dealerships) with a list of new cars they had in stock with considerable discounts and the narrative that they had to dispose of these vehicles before the 1st September because after that date they would no longer be able to sell them . I do remember that the cars listed had big lump engines.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 03:39:55 pm »

I'd love to hear other people's opinions on which way they think the government will take car taxation.
How will they tax electric cars when they reach a critical mass on the roads? No capacity to measure, no emmisions to measure so how will a Leaf compare to a Tesla? Will it be on the battery capacity or the motor kW?

'Smart Meters' !
Your Odometer will be 'smart' and we'll be paying by the mile.
 The charging stations, at home or otherwise will be 'smart' and we'll be paying 'Non-Economy 7' rates for the leccy.

The biggest 'smart' will be the pain every time we pay.

Bintur Ellenbach

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 04:10:28 pm »

Taxing by engine size doesn't really work either, because my 2 liter, 160 horse petrol motor does 51mpg on my 38 mile drive to work every day, and close to 60 if I take the longer motorway route.
Annoyingly, my old 1.6 diesel Fiesta did 40mpg and cost £100 a year less for road tax, and my previous car, a 2 liter diesel Audi A6 was the same cost, but at 48mpg. My current car has the least consumption and emmissions of the lot but is more expensive...

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 06:18:50 pm »

just a question from a Cadillac tec on the other side of the pond...do your say 2010 and up moters have vvt?(variable valve timming) and sidi?(spark ignited direct injection) gas injectors set in the combustion chamber like a diesel? and cyclinder deactivation?where say we shut down 2 on a 6cyc or 4 on an 8 cyc moter?..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 06:39:07 pm »

My 163hp 2 litre Mazda 6 petrol gives me around 45 imperial mpg in general driving and performance is fine. No turbo, just a normally aspirated engine with a high compression ratio. The next generation Mazda petrol engines are supposed to be offering partial compression ignition to improve fuel consumption further.

On my visits to North America (USA & Canada) I did feel that US built cars are rather lagging behind European and Japanese designs generally in driving and other characteristics although they are loaded with various bolt on accessories. Which may explain why Americans often tend to favour 'foreign' cars much to President Trump's disgust!

In 2016 I had a Buick Verano while driving around Nova Scotia and while it did the job it was probably one of the most boring cars I have ever driven. A couple of design generations behind current European practice.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 07:04:57 pm »

just a question from a Cadillac tec on the other side of the pond...do your say 2010 and up moters have vvt?(variable valve timming) and sidi?(spark ignited direct injection) gas injectors set in the combustion chamber like a diesel? and cyclinder deactivation?where say we shut down 2 on a 6cyc or 4 on an 8 cyc moter?..

Yup..  got all those and more !
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 07:11:28 pm »

On my visits to North America (USA & Canada) I did feel that US built cars are rather lagging behind European and Japanese designs generally in driving and other characteristics although they are loaded with various bolt on accessories. Which may explain why Americans often tend to favour 'foreign' cars much to President Trump's disgust!

In 2016 I had a Buick Verano while driving around Nova Scotia and while it did the job it was probably one of the most boring cars I have ever driven. A couple of design generations behind current European practice.

Colin
I can't agree with that. I get to drive lots of American cars and most are lovely - every bit the same as Euroboxes.
The only differences I have found is with the trucks and fleet cars like the old Grand Marquis which are designed to be mechanically basic for total reliability over hundreds of thousands of miles.
I am partial to the Chevy Impala (LTZ model) - very comfy and well specced.
I was most surprised with a Lincoln Town Car 4.6 V8 - 32mpg (US gals) with my lead foot giving it hell.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »

for those who watch "YouTube" there is a series called "Harry's Garage". In his latest video he has road tested the new Bentley Continental and that returned an average of over 28 MPG on a cross country run; pretty good for a 6 litre v12 I would say. Of course the downside is the £200K+ purchase price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eS-QlBFwJ8
LB

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 07:55:37 pm »

Sorry Neil, nope no 500 Cooper but I used to have a T39 Manx Tail  1100 Cooper (ex Lance Reventlow of Scarab F1fame). Basically an F2 single seater with a full width body. Same suspension , transverse spring and wishbone front and rear , same as 500 but beefier. Citroen gearbox with ERSA gears. Foolishly sold it to an American who more foolishly planned fitting a small-block Chevvy :o , don't know if he survived %)  .  Cooper then did it right and brought out the Monaco but had to put the seat to one side. Lost track of it but it looked like this but was red with black stripe. ( Pics from Web)

O M G ...…….you lucky man.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 08:08:16 pm »

Pretty much all the gains in modern cars are down to better fuel and ignition management. This has been demonstrated in instances where enthusiasts of older cars retrofit original engines with modern computer based injection and ignition. Smaller gains have been realised in friction and rotating mass.

Many modern engines are also running stratified charge, which was very difficult to implement on cars years ago before microprocessor control. Crucially however these methods don't give huge returns when driven about town, as when accelerating under load, fueling has to revert back to a stoichiometric ratio in order to get decent power. On long runs modern cars can give very good returns, as they can be made to run on almost fumes, as only a few hp is needed to overcome drag and rolling resistance.

With modern engines and construction methods, straightforward non-hybrid 100mpg cars should be everywhere, but they're not. No car really requires more than 1L of displacement, small cars can get by on half that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.