Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Chris' HMS TIGER (C20) - 1:72 SCALE  (Read 315360 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Chris' HMS TIGER (C20) - 1:72 SCALE
« Reply #1875 on: January 15, 2023, 11:08:07 am »

shot of them 3 inch guns with two good leds in now an they just be seen in the gun barrells
https://ibb.co/8N7RNxQ

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1876 on: January 15, 2023, 11:14:26 am »

but as the gunfire unit that flashes the leds is 12v an the leds are 3v so i had to fit in a voltage reducer so the power is cut down from 12v to 6v an the leds flash good so i though great but when i wired them into the gun fire unit i got a problem when its was alternating the gunfire flash it only worked one big 3 mm led in the main 6 inch guns pic below
https://ibb.co/5BS9jHm

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1877 on: January 15, 2023, 11:27:08 am »

SO NO alternatig flash with the big main turret but it did then on the next flash work all the guns at the same time which in my book is wrong an here all 4 guns flashin with the gunfire sound but this is in a darkened room an i dont think the small leds will show in daylight when she is on the pond so im gonna diconect the small leds an go back to havin just the main big gun leds flashin aternatly
chrisb
https://ibb.co/FxTStMp

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1878 on: January 15, 2023, 11:43:58 am »

AN Here the V/R fitted in bottom right an i thought this would  fix the prob but no so im gonna remove it an use it eleware  but i wil keep this all on the spare list as the gun turret still turns an elevate the gun barrels but no gun flash now
https://ibb.co/0tBYLKC
chrisb :(( :embarrassed: <:( %)

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1879 on: January 15, 2023, 04:40:38 pm »

Shame about the smaller LED issue Chris, but like you say they probably won't be seen whilst on the water unless you plan on sailing at night?
How good are the 1.5mm LEDs I was going to use these on my Ocean to light up the flight deck but feel they may not be powerful enough.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1880 on: January 15, 2023, 07:05:00 pm »

Shame about the smaller LED issue Chris, but like you say they probably won't be seen whilst on the water unless you plan on sailing at night?
How good are the 1.5mm LEDs I was going to use these on my Ocean to light up the flight deck but feel they may not be powerful enough.

HI Dan yes it is a shame an im  >>:-( <*<  about how much time i wasted on tryin to fit these leds in the tiny 2mm gun tube AS thinkin now i should have drilled out the guntubes ends so that i could have fitted the 12v 2mm leds i have but just dint think it through proberly but never mind an yes you are right these 2 mm look ok but to shine up your flight deck you will need ultra bright white leds 3 mm fitted in a bit of aluminium tube to give maximam reflection an fit a resistor to each one or 4 in in series from 12v an they  will light up your flight deck great an any more pics of your ocean ?
chrisb  :-))

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1881 on: January 15, 2023, 09:59:39 pm »

I did not use resistors for Victorious flight deck, not needed, if you go to layouts for you they do a connector block that can run up to 32 LED without the need for resistor.  It also allows you to select the brightness as well, all run from a 12 v batt, and roughly a tenner. much tidier as well.  Depending on the affect you are trying to create, dont forget that you are not trying to illuminate the deck but provide a minimal light for flight path, not Blackpool illuminations.  The shots of Victorious I have posted look just like that but that was with brightness right up for the shoots

Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1882 on: January 15, 2023, 10:25:30 pm »

I did not use resistors for Victorious flight deck, not needed, if you go to layouts for you they do a connector block that can run up to 32 LED without the need for resistor.  It also allows you to select the brightness as well, all run from a 12 v batt, and roughly a tenner. much tidier as well.  Depending on the affect you are trying to create, dont forget that you are not trying to illuminate the deck but provide a minimal light for flight path, not Blackpool illuminations.  The shots of Victorious I have posted look just like that but that was with brightness right up for the shoots

Bob

THANKS Bob thats where i get my leds an i'll  ask about that connertor block but this is my opinion though bob yes my leds are bright but if you have minimal lights on the flight deck they wont be seen in the daylight when sailing an if you cant see them then no point fittin them is there as i have a boaty m8 who has just finish his boat an he made the nav light minimal so he says like the real thing but when sailing on the pond they cant be seen an he has had people say oh a nice model but why no nav lights so thats the reason bob why i use bright leds so they can be seen in daylight but this is just my opinion an up to dan what he want to fit  ps Bob an you say you have turned up the brightness on your Victorious  for the shoots so if you turn the leds down to minimal they proberly wont be seen in daylight  when its sailing so again they need to be bright  to be seen by the G/P
ATB
Chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1883 on: January 16, 2023, 08:39:31 am »

Thanks Chris! I'll have a play around with a few different LEDs and see what will work. I'm nearly done covering the hull on ocean. Didn't get to spend as much time on it as I'd hoped lately, but I'll have more photos soon.

I'll look into the connector block thanks Bob! Would be very hand to be able to adjust the brightness.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1884 on: January 16, 2023, 10:23:05 am »

Thanks Chris! I'll have a play around with a few different LEDs and see what will work. I'm nearly done covering the hull on ocean. Didn't get to spend as much time on it as I'd hoped lately, but I'll have more photos soon.

I'll look into the connector block thanks Bob! Would be very hand to be able to adjust the brightness.

HI Dan well ive use seveal differnt leds in my 30 odd yrs of modeling when leds first came out   an i find the best for flight deck lightin is the 3mm white ultra bright leds as if you fit them in a aluminumin tube the light wont splay every where like blackpool light but the tube will conetrate the light down in a beam onto the flight deck as i have found an when fitted if you are gentle you can bend them to the angle you want so they wont be seen by all an sundry
 :-))
chrisb

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1885 on: January 16, 2023, 01:03:19 pm »

Bob

Understand your point of view, probably as a user I get a bit more pedantic, nav lights and RAS lights always visible but rest really are for static

Bob.

I will finish this model

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1886 on: January 16, 2023, 01:58:23 pm »

Rob, Wonderful looking distribution block. Would you please post a link to where you found it?Thank youJonathan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1887 on: January 16, 2023, 02:32:24 pm »

Rob, Wonderful looking distribution block. Would you please post a link to where you found it?Thank youJonathan

HI Johnathan if bob dont get you the address i can but ive just got to find it FIRST its up in my man cave  but im not sure if LAYOUTSFORYOU  send abroad to the USA  as they do model railways but i 'll have a hunt to find the web address for you should be able to find it tonight as cant do it now
ATB
Chrisb

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1888 on: January 16, 2023, 02:35:01 pm »

AN HI again Bob cheers for the picy of that board i may send for one when i can
ATB chrisb

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1890 on: January 16, 2023, 06:47:59 pm »

HI Johnathan here is the web an address for what you seek

Contact Us

Layouts4u
38 Elwyndene Road
March
PE15 9BL

Tel: 01354 652302 (10.00 am until noon)

Email:  info@layouts4u.net

VAT Registration No:  349 6072 75

CHRISB

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1891 on: January 16, 2023, 11:26:08 pm »

Frogman and Rob, Thank you very much!Jonathan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1892 on: January 18, 2023, 10:00:34 am »

Frogman and Rob, Thank you very much!Jonathan

OK Johnathan pleased to help you hope you get that board as im thinkin of it but will see as this will come in handy to light up my 100 odd 3 mm white ultrabright leds fitted in their aluminimum tubes to light up my tiger for when she is in a show but first i want to fit in them power booster an see if they will be any good
ATB to you Sir
chrisb  :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1893 on: February 16, 2023, 09:22:48 am »

HI Bob well im not goin to buy that unit that works several LED's as i have not got enough spare wires left on the hull jiont eletric  plug  in tiger unless i buy 2  one for the front section an another fo the rear section  an ive always managed to light up my flood light LEDs before on my other ships so it would be a bit of a waste of money but it looks a good unit  :-))
chrisb

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1894 on: February 16, 2023, 11:18:43 am »

I tried using bright LED's in my Iron Duke model several years ago. They were visible on a bright sunny day so they do show up and do work, however the mistake I made was using too narrow a beam/lens. They show up if you are looking directly at the barrel so most are not visible if you are off just a small amount.

The concept with ID was that as one barrel ejects the smoke the adjacent barrel flashes the light and at distance the brain will see a flash and a cloud of smoke and make the connection. It did work but as above the lens spread was inadequate so the complication was not really worth while.

I concluded what was needed was a LED with a wide beam which could momentarily project past the end of the barrel to give the spread. Not too difficult to arrange but for me it was a further complication too far for me!!

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Geoff

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1895 on: February 16, 2023, 12:21:01 pm »

I tried using bright LED's in my Iron Duke model several years ago. They were visible on a bright sunny day so they do show up and do work, however the mistake I made was using too narrow a beam/lens. They show up if you are looking directly at the barrel so most are not visible if you are off just a small amount.

The concept with ID was that as one barrel ejects the smoke the adjacent barrel flashes the light and at distance the brain will see a flash and a cloud of smoke and make the connection. It did work but as above the lens spread was inadequate so the complication was not really worth while.

I concluded what was needed was a LED with a wide beam which could momentarily project past the end of the barrel to give the spread. Not too difficult to arrange but for me it was a further complication too far for me!!

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Geoff

HI Geoff  it looks like to me you are talking about the led's in the gun barrels ? well im not talkin about usein the led's for that as i have but im talking about usein th leds for lightin up the ship for floodlightin when she in a show an lightin up the S/S  with 3 mm ultrabright leds as i love to see this idea as yes a warship wont be lit up like blackpool but they are when in dock an open to the public as ive made all my ships light up as they can easysily  be turned off if she was goin to a battle zone so their is no probs an pic of my norfolk lit up below an the public loved it
https://ibb.co/wBZ8C7X

chrisb

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1896 on: February 17, 2023, 11:42:55 am »

HI Bob well im not goin to buy that unit that works several LED's as i have not got enough spare wires left on the hull jiont eletric  plug  in tiger unless i buy 2  one for the front section an another fo the rear section  an ive always managed to light up my flood light LEDs before on my other ships so it would be a bit of a waste of money but it looks a good unit  :-))
chrisb
Fair enough. Only two wires needed to run it so very easy. I wonder how managed before, love it’s simplicity, no hassle with resistors and each led different brightness if needed still it might mean moving wires in Tiger, but defo in Vic and Phoebe
Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1897 on: February 17, 2023, 03:10:18 pm »

Fair enough. Only two wires needed to run it so very easy. I wonder how managed before, love it’s simplicity, no hassle with resistors and each led different brightness if needed still it might mean moving wires in Tiger, but defo in Vic and Phoebe
Bob

HI Bob glad you are finding them usefull them units in vic an phobe as i want mine all the same brightness to illinate the S/S the leds need  to be really bright as i fit mine so they shine along the S/S an give a nice oval light as the leds are fitted in 3mm aluminium tubes so the light doent go everywhere but on the S/S  as tiger is nearly finished  as i havnt shown pics lately of the work ive done on her as i have not been well but ive treid to keep pluggin away at tiger as i just want her fininshed  an hope  this yr  will be her maiden  voyge yr  but ive got to get over some probs of gettin her to the pond an still got to make her carry cradles  yet  AN HOPE YOU ARE WELL
chrisb

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1898 on: February 24, 2023, 12:14:09 pm »

HI ALL well after reason bouts of illness  I've now nearly finished tiger just got to fit some bumb bars an some rigging an about 100  crew members on her an she will be finished an ready for her launch sometime this yr  but ive been plugging away on her to try an get her finished so here are some of the latest pics of her build state she is in now an first off I've fitted on all her main railings
https://ibb.co/T2jXHx7

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1899 on: February 24, 2023, 12:16:23 pm »

An now some pics of her AN MAIN RAILIN SHOW UP OK
https://ibb.co/T2jXHx7

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.