Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: 1/96 scale Arleigh Burke destroyer Build log  (Read 93652 times)

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
    • La mini-flotte de Lamiral67
Re: 1/96 scale Arleigh Burke destroyer Build log
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2021, 06:39:12 pm »

Hello !
Fantastic "The last ship"  :-))

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2021, 06:53:45 pm »

Thanks Chris67,

Hope it’s not the last ship  {-) {-) {-)
Regards David

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2021, 07:17:36 pm »

Just been catching up with your build Dave - fantastic work with the hanger detailing and your latest batch of castings looking good.
 :-))

Regards,
Ray.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2021, 07:35:36 pm »

Thanks Ray, but like you had to take a bit of time off from modelling. But it’s nice to see your back, i do like your planking.
Regards David

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: February 12, 2021, 08:29:35 pm »

Gawd.......just like action stations in the very dark hours :-)) .......very realistic..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #330 on: February 12, 2021, 08:51:43 pm »

Fantastic WORK Dave i like very much  :-))
chris

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2021, 09:03:09 pm »

Thanks Derek.
Thought you would like it Chris.
Regards David

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2021, 03:07:31 am »

Dave....

From the image below, you appear to be using one of these small sub-minature SG-80 servos connected to the Stdb rudder. however we cannot see the connection to the Port rudder

[/size]Are you using a parallel linkage motion system to drive both rudders? [mudmap below]
The setup suggest ~~ a 2.5: ratio of pushrod lengths so that would make the servo action on the rudder arm rather twitchy in speed/motion?

Does you Tx have the facility to slow down the function speed?

[/size]How do you find the SG-80 Servos?

[I wanted to use a metal geared mid range $25.00 standard size servo in conjunction with an ACTion slowdown module for my steam regulator, and this worked perfectly, however due to a space limitation I have needed to revert to a same sub-minature SG-80 Servo.......to my surprise :o  the el-cheapo $3.00 sub-minature servo + the slowdown module provides a function as smooth as the $25.00 servo]

Derek

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2021, 06:12:12 am »

Derek,

There is no servo slow on this channel and yes I’m using the standard SG80 servo. I did have a metal gears version  (£4.95) but this unit had a fault and was sent back, so I kept with the standard servo.

The picture of how the rudders servo has been setup is on page one & two of this build log. I’ve used this method/ setup on several of my models and as yet never had a failure or found them to be twitchy.

As for the SG 80 servo,  I’ve used these on Rudders, gun rotation and directors on alone of my models and they not give any issues to-date.

As for using servo slow units, On this build I’ve used one on the gun servo. I’d thought I may have had to use one on the helo winch,  but the sail winch servo I used is smooth and slow to give a good working operation.

Regards David

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2021, 06:34:29 am »

Ahah......I had seen image.2319 from Sept 09......but  :embarrassed:  in the lost matter........yes that common arm located under the servo Horns....... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2021, 09:22:55 am »

Derek I’ve use the action servo slow in the past on a 1/16 scale landing craft door and the operation is very smooth.

Regards David

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2021, 11:53:46 am »

Been doing some detailing on the forward superstructure.
Fire hose reels, cctv, vents and bulk head large doors.
Regards David

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: February 24, 2021, 12:16:29 pm »

Hi Guys,
Don’t know if your be interested but this is my way of making a master life ring for USS Roosevelt

First i use a suitable sized hole punch to punch out 1.5 mm thick disc, next I drill a 2mm pilot hole in the centre of the disc. This is the filed out using a rat tail file until I get the hole to the required size. Next step is to use by hand a de-Bering tool to shape the internal of the life ring. Once this completed I move on to the outside to put a curved edge.
For the strapping use Evergreen fine strip which is wrapped around and glued with liquid poly.
Regards David

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2021, 05:50:51 pm »

Mast lights and nav lights fitted and working
Regards David

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: February 28, 2021, 05:57:47 pm »

Looks good to me Dave and the life rings look cool too.  :-)

Ray.

Perhaps some kind of deflector needed to stop the stbd lamp shining down to the deck?

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2021, 09:02:45 pm »

Thanks Ray,
 The stbd light just needs a little tweak.
Regards David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2021, 07:55:06 am »

HI Dave wow lights looks really good  :-)) an regards your nav lights this is just my opinion but leave them as when its out in the daylight on pond  the light overspill will hardly be noticed as when i fitted my nav light on my HMS NORFOLK i wanted them to be visable in daylight on the pond as no good fitting lights if they cant be seen is it
so

i fitted the 3mm red leds into 4mm aluminium tubes an cut to the led lenght so the light shines forward only an shot of my norfolk  shown the red port nav lights in linkpic below hope you dont mind me puttin on a linkpic on your thread if you do say so an i will remove it  ps an this pic was shot in the dark so the lights are over exsposed by the camera
chris
https://ibb.co/ZfynSgr

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2021, 08:45:35 am »

Hi Chris,
I have know issue and more than happy with you posting your pictures with this thread :-))  (she looks very good).

Ref the overspill I’ve made a minor adjustment to that light, it’s not effected the brightness and as you say , I agree they need to be seen in day light.

I’ve use the same method as you did when building my 1/48 scale models of MCMV & OPVs but instead of Ali tube I used brass and for fluorescent tube type lights, I used the plastic tube from paint brush tip cover.

On this build I’ve found some really miniature LEDs (0.5mm) which have been great for doing the mast lights. On the Arliegh Burke’s the actual mast lights are small, these have come at the right time, so much that I’m thing about taking out the flight deck FOs and replacing each light with micro LEDs. %)
Regards David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2021, 09:45:52 am »

HI again Dave well i know your burke is 1/96th scale an my norfolk is 1/72 scale so a fair bit bigger but regards your F/O floodlights for hanger deck yes i think  think they are worth replacein if they dont show much lights beams onto the flightdeck as again i use 3mm ultra bright white led's in their aluminium  tubes as the unside of the tube is shiney an acks like a reflector for the leds so they shine a good beam of light down onto the flightdeck thus  lighting up the chopper an the flight deck so a good win all round as when ive put my ships in model shows the general public really like this effects an again hope you dont mind me showin a linkpic of my norfolk flightdeck with its working merlin chopper as when the rotoars goin round the leds show up them up spinning round as ive had people say does the chopper take off an i just laugh an tell them its only a model anyway linkpic of norfolks flight deck below
https://ibb.co/RHKD4Gg
BEST REGARDS  to you
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2021, 09:53:58 am »

AN Dave could you tell me PLEASE with a link where you got these really miniature LEDs (0.5mm)  ?
CHRIS :-)) CHEERS THANKS ps AN Dave i like your idea of [size=0px] fluorescent tube type lights, I used the plastic tube from paint brush tip cover. SO Dave  did you just fit a white led in each end of the  clear plastic tube an vally [/size][/size][size=0px]fluorescent  light ? if so brilliant idea as i dint think of that see thats the whole idea of these forums you can all help each other with different ideas great stuff [/size] :-))
chris

[/size]

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2021, 10:11:50 am »

Hi Chris,

That funny I get the same question from the public re the Merlin on my HMS Clyde, I’ve also got the rotors main and tail working , also when the rotors start  it activates the sound recording of a real Merlin starting up and take off.  I’ve seen your Norfolk pic on the site you use to post pictures.

The link is this [size=78%]https://www.microminiatures.co.uk/product/pre-wired-micro-leds/[/size]
They are a very good suppliers , helpful , they always post straight away and I usually get the order next day or the following day.
Regards David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2021, 10:38:27 am »

OH CHEERS for the link Dave  as i normaly buy the 2mm leds an now have too many as  i bought a load about a yr ago an do you know what when i wanted to fit them i could not find them i hunted high an low an no joy so i ordered another 50  quids worth of normal stay on 2mm leds an the flashing  2mm leds an when they came i went up an put them in my spares tin an would you belelive it right in there where i hunted through 3 times was the big pack of the leds i bought a yr ago an could not find Blimey i nr had a heart attack talk about angry with my self an my missus says i must have been object blind to miss them DO you have this problem ?  As at the moment ive got so much stuff to fit on my tiger that its a big box full an i havnt got the faintest idea whats in there
Chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2021, 11:05:11 am »

I was just wondering DO THEY DO FLASHING LEDS in this such a small scale an i think i'll pop up to see them if possible as they are based  NEAR  norwich an i dont live to far away from  Norwich so be intresting to visit them an see an see if they do a catalouge with their wares an prices
chris

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2021, 12:25:31 pm »

Normally this is the shop I get my FO from and sometime LEDs. However it was only a few weeks ago I notice that they did the micro LEDs. If you phone them and ask to speak to Kevin he put you right as if they do a flash version.

I don’t have the same issue as my stock I usually buy in bulk and put them in my supply racks, just like my stock of Evergreen, which is pin around one side of the workshop.
Regards David

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2021, 12:37:40 pm »

Very good idea Dave an that evergreen is not cheap is it as i bought some angle strips an it was nr 9 quid a go so i try an make do but at least you can find your evergreen
chris :-))

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.