Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Remora.  (Read 17132 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Vic Smeed Remora.
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2021, 09:56:17 pm »

A Surpass 3548 1100 motor has now been fitted into Remora!

This is the same motor that powers Rapier1 along so nicely, so if this should fail - I only have the ESC left to change.

I will get to the bottom of this "lack of speed" problem - eventually! >:-o

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2021, 08:57:34 am »

Remora ran with the new Surpass motor on 3C and although it was a little faster it was still not anything like quick enough.

I ran Rapier1 with the same motor (on two cells) and although being a bigger, heavier boat and only running on 2C it was considerably faster!

The 90amp ESC that I am using is a spare that I bought new for my Inception/Alpha1000 and that is a good fast boat on 4C and 6C so I am now thinking that this speedo is probably optimised for 4-6 cell use and is why Remora is so slow on the motors tested so far !

When I get home I will swap the ESC as this is the only thing left to change - and now seems to be the most likely  reason for the sluggish performance.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2021, 02:15:23 pm »

HELP.

The ESC that I am using in my Remora is a SEAKING 90A.

It was bought as a spare ESC that I bought for my Alfa 1000/Inception (same boat) that came with pre-soldered Y leads to connect with a pair of 2 cell or a pair of 3 cell LiPo cells. This is a VERY fast boat for the size of our club lake at Southport, even when only running with a pair of 2 cell LiPo's. I don't need this performance from my Remora and only want to run it on a single 3 cell LiPo.

I removed the Y lead and fitted a single XT60 plug as I only wanted to run with a single 3cell LiPo in this Remora.

I notice that there is a pair of capacitors(?) heat shrunk onto the red lead between the ESC to the XT60 plug.

Does anyone know if these could be the reason why no brushless motor has been able to rev freely in this boat ?

The motor that I have in the Remora now is the same one that powers my much larger and heavier Rapier around the lake (on 2 cells only) at a very fast speed, but even with a very good 3 cell LiPo cell, my Remora only runs at walking pace at best!

Is this heat shrunk pack of "capacitors"(?) on the ESC red power wire likely to be choking the power? Could the ESC (that is intended for use in the Alpha100/Inception) be wired to take 2x 2 cell packs  (4 cells) or 2x 3 cell packs (6cells) and so is not able to work with only 3 cells?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2021, 02:51:41 pm »

Pics of capacitors etc.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2021, 02:59:28 pm »

The programming card shown does not help!

It will only go to the first 5 settings...............but if I could find out how to make it reveal the other 7 (Advanced) settings, I can see that number 12 would allow me to set the number of LiPo cells being used - maybe this would help?.................if I could find a way to access it?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2021, 04:54:08 pm »

Another one

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2021, 04:59:31 pm »

The last two pictures show the SEAKING 90A ESC that I am using.

Firstly as it was supplied with a fitted Y lead (as a spare part for an Inception) with two XT90 plugs, and as I am using it now with one XT60 plug.

I can't see any reason why this would prevent any of the motors tested to date being able to rev freely.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2021, 12:12:42 pm »

Hi Bob

My thoughts are. Initially thought it wouldn't be the ESC as it is a branded item and so why would the boat manufacturer have any changes made to it? But thinking more, perhaps they did order a batch with a change made to suit the boat and stop access to some of the menu items on the program card?

You say Inception can take 2x2S or 2x3S but wouldn't this require the cell count/low-voltage  to be altered? As you can't alter it for one 3S Remora is probably running so slow because the ESC is running in get you back to the bank mode!

You could try the ESC in Inception to see if it works correctly or if it is faulty.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2021, 01:13:49 pm »

I have also considered all those options Chris - and I am no wiser.

The ESC will not allow me to enter the program mode from the transmitter either - so maybe it is just a "duff" unit?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2021, 01:43:32 pm »

Could be, will have to try it in Inception to confirm.

Do the instructions for Inception mention altering the cell count, though I guess it will be set to Auto?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2021, 02:16:24 pm »

I checked the Inception instructions first, but they are not very comprehensive, so I downloaded and printed-out the Seaking instruction manual and also looked it up and watched some uTube videos, but this ESC will not respond.

I have also tried introducing a different radio system in the hope that the ESC would need a new set-up - but that idea failed too <:(

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2021, 02:36:48 pm »

Rossendale Models have a Blue-Tooth device made by Hobbywing (the makers of Seaking ESC) that allows the speedo to be programmed via an app on your phone.

I am hoping to try one this weekend to see if it can access my Seaking 90A and make some progress on persuading it to share some more electricity with the motor!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2021, 10:15:06 am »

I ventured into the workshop (shed) last night - first time for a few weeks!  My ESC problems remain as I have not yet been able to pick up the bluetooth device (my last attempt to fix it), but I have bought a new Turnigy 120A ESC to replace the troublesome 90A SeaKing if the Bluetooth device fails to fix it.

The SeaKing ESC is physically smaller and sits on a neat custom made shelf on the back of the engine bay bulkhead, so I am still hoping for a fix as it should be more than adequate for the job - and a similar one works really well in my Inception where it handles far more power than I need it to in the Remora.

Having been unable to find any Humbrol French Blue spray paint to go with the Humbrol orange I made a start on my change of colour scheme with some trade brush paint that I had laying round at home (!), so this will keep me amused until I either get my speedo "sorted" or rip-out the current mounting shelf and make a new one to accept the bigger ESC.

Painting is not my favourite job - I would rather be cutting wood and making or restoring something - but when it is finished I can move on from this troublesome project and get back to work on something else.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2021, 02:22:56 pm »

At least you are venturing into your workshop! My Javelin is in the garage and that needs a tidy up before I can get anywhere near it. I hope the ESC troubles get sorted Bob. I shall hopefully start sharing some progress reports soon....
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2021, 03:27:39 pm »

Yes, I've only started again over the last couple of days after nearly 6 months!

I see that they have dropped the 90amp Seaking now, which was the ideal size for some of my boats. Will have to be the 120amp ones now.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2021, 04:07:27 pm »

I see that they have dropped the 90amp Seaking now, which was the ideal size for some of my boats. Will have to be the 120amp ones now.

Chris

That is bad news Chris - although I have been having some problems with the one in this Remora, the SeaKing 90A performs brilliantly in my Inception where it gives a scorching performance on 6 cell or 4 cells, and it is a nice compact size that fits well inside the smaller boats.

The Turnigy 120amp ESC is a fair bit bigger (rebranded SeaKing) and I see that HK now specify it in the current Inception so it is looking like the 90A has been dropped,  and we are gong to have to make a bit more space to mount the 120A instead.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2021, 07:09:21 pm »

I picked up on it because Wheelspin Models I've bought stuff from don't list it.

Googling it shows some sellers still having the 90amp but the HobbyWing site itself doesn't list it so personally I'd be wary. 120amp gives more leeway though more expensive.

In fact I don't have much luck buying ESC. I have a Fusion Hawk in my Huntress and bought a program card and so thought I'd standardise on them for my other boats but then found I couldn't get them! So then looking for good quality but not too expensive (my criteria for most things) I ordered a Leopard Hobby ESC but when it arrived it was a Seaking. But before sending it back I compared specs and reviews and it was fine so kept it and hope to make it my standard ESC.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2021, 09:23:06 pm »

I ordered a Leopard Hobby ESC but when it arrived it was a Seaking. But before sending it back I compared specs and reviews and it was fine so kept it and hope to make it my standard ESC.

Chris

Have you switched to using water cooled ESC Chris?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2021, 10:59:29 am »

Hi Bob

Not exactly! I use the marine ESCs but don't use the water cooling. I could use the car type as they are generally waterproof.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2021, 11:26:59 am »

Hi Bob

Not exactly! I use the marine ESCs but don't use the water cooling. I could use the car type as they are generally waterproof.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The water-proof car type ESC (such as the Surpass 120A) may be better than using marine type ESC if you are not going to connect the water cooling tubes to them?

The car type ESC have heat-sink cooling fins to help dissipate the heat (some such as the above also have cooling fans attached as well), whereas the marine type ESC don't usually have much in the way of a heatsink as they rely on the water to provide the cooling.

I personally wouldn't use a marine specific ESC if I was not going to connect it to the water cooling system, but use a car type instead as it would probably be better suited to the application.

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2021, 02:23:13 pm »

Yes, that makes sense. I've only bought one so far and will need to get more for my other builds.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2021, 03:37:27 pm »

The SeaKing 90A is a nice compact sized ESC and I made a small close fitting shelf for it to sit on behind the engine bay firewall, but I am having to have a re-think now because it is not possible to install the larger Turnigy 120A ESC in this same space as it is physically bigger and the leads etc run in a different way.

I am making a new bigger ESC shelf to fit inside the engine bay that effectively straddles the prop shaft. This new shelf position will also need another hole made in a different location to allow the battery lead and connections to pass between the two compartments on the opposite side of the boat.

The water cooling tube layout will be very similar so that will not be affected, but the receiver will now need to be relocated due to the length of the ESC to RX wire. I am thinking about fitting it on the now vacant (previous) ESC shelf as the steering servo lead looks like it will reach the RX if it is mounted here.  I need to check it out.

It is a shame that the SeaKing 90A ESC has been so troublesome in this boat as I thought the original layout looked really neat and tidy, but the new layout will have enough space to swap to any ESC in the future (if another change should ever be needed),  and  IF  I should ever find a way to get this 90A ESC working properly, it will be very easy to put everything back in the first layout positions.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2021, 04:11:13 pm »

The new 120A ESC now lives in the engine bay as it is too big to fit in the compartment with the LiPos where the smaller 90A ESC was fitted, and I have had to make some new holes in the firewall to thread the wires through as they exit from the opposite side.

The RX has had to be re-located from its little table in the stern to sit on the shelf that was made for the 90A ESC due to the length of available wires etc, and a small extension has been added to the steering servo lead to allow it to reach it.

Setting up the new ESC went as it should - no problems - so I am looking forward to testing the boat in the water at the earliest opportunity  - and as soon as I can - but the bad weather will give me some time to get the paint work done before this can happen. {:-{

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2021, 05:25:36 pm »

Piccie Time!

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2021, 12:25:39 pm »

Hi Zooma

Have you got your Remora sorted out yet?
Be interesting to know what the problem was.
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.