Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesro Rapier - 60's cabin cruiser  (Read 43704 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Lesro Rapier - 60's cabin cruiser
« Reply #325 on: April 15, 2023, 05:25:40 pm »

Rapier 1 has not got wet yet in 2023 (!) but when we get home again late next week I need to tidy up the paint work on the cabin tops and get it ready to take to the Southport club lake the following week.
I have missed running it every Sunday (the boat probably thinks it’s been retired!) and no doubt make some more  updates to keep myself occupied until I finished my Sea Commander restoration/build from the oddments given to me by Will (by mistake) some time back!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #326 on: April 15, 2023, 07:42:33 pm »

Hi Bob

Good to see you are back on the forum. I've had a period away from model boats for various reasons and hadn't done anything since before Christmas until a couple of weeks ago. Trouble is I'd forgotten what I was doing and where things were after a bit of a tidy up! Been working on a couple of Faireys which aren't too far from water trials though they will still need finishing off. Also having thoughts on starting building one of the Stiletto/Rapier projects.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: April 16, 2023, 09:04:34 am »

Hi Chris,

It was good to see your message on MBM yesterday and even better to know you are also still interested and getting back into your model boat making again.

Hopefully you will soon get some mileage on your new bandsaw and discover how much faster you can convert plywood and hardwood into new components for your next project.

I want to complete some of my part built and part restored projects before starting anything new - but the need to cut new shapes on the bandsaw is strong and difficult to resist.

The problem is that I enjoy creating and restoring classic model boats but tend to loose interest when they are structurally sound and only need paint to finish them off, which is a bit strange really as I know that is the “best bit” as far as most model makers are concerned.

I need to find some “proper” paint that has good coverage and drys before it gains a coating of dust  - then maybe I will enjoy the painting bit as well  :-))

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #328 on: April 16, 2023, 10:10:58 am »

Good to hear you’re back Bob. :-))

I haven’t done much at all since the pandemic stimulated me to find this place. Life too busy but I like to see what everyone is up to on here.

I have acquired some old brass rudders and a Sportsman kit to have a go at some day.

My Javelin is still work in progress. Think I’ve forgotten what I did to it and how so will review my posts on here to remember!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2023, 01:50:45 pm »

I thought you were going to say I can discover how to convert plywood and hardwood into sawdust faster!   :-)

I spend a day and night each week at my mother's so have time to start building something else, certainly the cutting out anyway, hence the additional scroll saw. Haven't tried the bandsaw yet. Want to build something with a water jet but will have to modify the drawings some more!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: April 20, 2023, 10:48:59 pm »

Whilst your bandsaw is reasonably portable, carrying it to your mothers house to use it each week could become a bit of a chore.

When you get you use it though you will appreciate how much faster it is to cut components such as keels, bulkheads and cabin sides etc remarkably quietly.

.........and yes it does convert plywood and hardwood into sawdust faster too  {-)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2023, 10:49:22 pm »

......but you will still need your scroll saws for cutting out apertures such as the windows etc  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: June 13, 2023, 10:09:38 am »

This unexpected early summer (in the north-west of England) has had the knock-on effect of seeing us staying in our static caravan in Ainsdale almost continually over the last few weeks - and this in turn has meant that Rapier1 has been getting its hull wet in the Southport Club lake quite a lot recently. :-))

Last Sunday was the Southport Model Boat Club's "bring and buy" event and the car park was packed as the event was very well attended with several model boats being offered for sale - and despite the crowded area next to the lake - there was hardly a boat on the water!

Rapier1 shared the lake almost exclusively with a twin shaft MFA Spearfish whilst almost everyone else was otherwise occupied buying and selling model boats and accessories with each other.

The lovely local weather is set to continue for at least another week, so we will be staying in the van and adding even more running hours to Rapier 1.........until the good weather (inevitably) comes to an end.  <:(

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2023, 01:00:57 pm »

Good to hear that Rapier #1 has been getting some water time.
Must have been nice to have a pretty empty lake, with only one other moving target.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: July 05, 2023, 11:20:21 am »

Good to hear that Rapier #1 has been getting some water time.
Must have been nice to have a pretty empty lake, with only one other moving target.

Will

Nice to hear from you Will  :-))

The other boat got away unscathed, but it was quite fast with twin shafts and x2 600 motors, so it was nice to have the lake to ourselves.

Hope to see you 'up north' with a working boat sometime soon O0

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: January 20, 2024, 04:20:20 pm »

2024 will see the fourth year of active service since I restored my LesRo Rapier and saved it from the skip.

Since it was restored, my Rapier has clocked up many hours running and has seen a lot of action - most of it at a fairly high speed and in any weather condition that happened to be around on the day.

The boat has never been "favoured" by keeping it "safe" when the weather was bad and it has performed superbly well in rough choppy water where it has proven to be water-tight and extremely reliable.

It also runs well on smooth water too and has proven to be a good strong performer that compares well against my favourite Aerokits Swordsman design.

This year the Rapier will be joined by my "Copy Commander" that started life as a pair of incomplete and delaminating cabin sides (kindly donated by Will and featured elsewhere here on Mayhem).  I have never owned a Sea Commander and I look forward to running my own copy version of one and I guess this model could also be described as a "restored" or "rescued" classic model boat (?) as it does have some old original kit wood parts integrated with the "new cut" wood parts that I made to complete the project.

It has been compared with "Triggers brush" (Fools and Horses)  - totally original, but with several new heads and handles.............. {-)

I have never regretted resisting the early urge to scrap my original Rapier wreck (and building a nice new model instead) and admit that restoring this model has given me at least as much pleasure as building a new model ever has, and it has proven to be at least as strong and seaworthy too.

With luck, my "new build" Swordsman (based on original Aerokits plans) will also join the fleet later in the season, but after checking over my Rapier today it has convinced me that it still has a lot of life left in it yet and it will probably be running for many more years to come.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.