Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Victory Industries Vosper Crash Tender  (Read 6012 times)

Cavender

• Shipmate
Victory Industries Vosper Crash Tender
« on: August 05, 2020, 12:05:54 pm »

I am converting to RC a Victory Industries Vosper RAF Crash Tender. I found on YOUTUBE a video of this model posted by Martin. A comment on YOUTUBE asked for details and Martin said see Model Boat Mayhem. (The reason for me joining this Forum). Can anyone help as so far I have found no info. I am new to this forum so please excuse any idioticity on my behalf.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Cavender

• Shipmate
Re: Victory Industries Vosper Crash Tender
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:18:24 pm »

Great.

Many thanks.
Will report my progress so far shortly.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »

I will be interested in following your restoration as I to have one of these purchased off fleebay in 2007 !!, still has the Midget engine and at the time what was left of the rubber belt to power the 2 very nice props ( At least I think they are original )which are both original with the rudders. 

Have you any pictures of your Crash Tender ?.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 07:35:30 pm »

Excuse me!  That is the MIGHTY midget motor by Victory Industries you are refering to.  There is a version of this motor for which collectors will pay you what ever you want, I have several but not that one.
I have one driving an original Anglian Trawler but do not expect a lot driving 2 propellors. 

regards
Roy

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 08:39:22 pm »

I will add photos and possibly videos shortly. Glad to hear i am not the only person attempting this restoration. I had the Vosper crash tender as a kid some 60-65 years ago and sailed it on the pond at Blackheath London. What happened to it goodness knows. Parents do tend to throw your stuff away when you leave home. I made a Vic Smeed Vosper PL4  some 40 years ago and its still in the loft and will attempt putting an electric motor in. Unfortunately I went over to the dark side and model aircraft became my main hobby. I always dreamed of applying radio control to the crash tender and like you found one on ebay. Part of one of the roofing structures had warped like many of the models shown on ebay but I am in the process of making a new one out of plasticard. I put this idea onto the back burner for some years until I attended a model show at the nearby Coolings Garden center where I found the same model on display and got re inspired. I have many fittings servos, motors etc from my other hobby so am putting them to good use. The only expenditure so far is the Plasticard. More to follow shortly.
Regards
Paul.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:05:42 am »

Yes I think mine warped , the front hull has melted a bit as the battery leaked with a previous owner, I will put some pictures up if you do not object.  Just need to check if it is a Mighty Midget motor so I can book a long Holiday !!!! Not..

andyquirot

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:50:27 am »

Hi all
Some photos of the Victory RAF Crash Tender being shown to royalty.
And the Mighty midget motor.

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 01:44:23 pm »

Hi Andy

Love the photograph of Elizabeth and Phillip. Looks like a visit to an exhibition, or possibly a royal visit to Victory Industries. Have you any details? Even more inspired now to complete the restoration now that I know it has royal approval.
I would like to add photos to this forum and possibly videos but can't see how to do it. Is it because I have just joined this forum and I'm only a shipmate.
Regards
Paul.

PS. Sadly seem to recognize that wallpaper.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 03:30:40 pm »

Nice Picture.   :-))

Here are some pictures of mine, Interesting that even then they did not want batteries sent with the model.

The Final Picture is where you need to add a picture onto a post , at the bottom there is the Attachments and other options, click on that and it will give you the option to upload pictures, Videos you have to add to YouTube or such service and add a link.
Also an individual picture must be less than 500kb, as you can see these are a lot less and fine.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 04:30:39 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 04:31:27 pm »

What happened to that.... did it a mine?!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 07:17:08 pm »

I assume that at some stage a previous owner forgot to take out the batteries, they leaked and it would appear that the plastic did not react to well.. %%

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:59 pm »

Thanks to both of you for your help in uploading photos, I think I'm nearly there. Will have to start taking some photos. The Long Build model looks promising as the superstructure looks in good condition, shame about the hull. Do you have all the fittings? I am missing one fire monitor, but think I can make another out of brass.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 08:37:59 pm »

Victory Ind. used to produce cars as well.  I had a Morris Minor and there was another plus the one himself is holding.  They went very well on a flat 4 1/2 volt dry battery. 

I run the one in my Anglian Trawler on 6 volts.  I thought about fitting RC but it would involve more disturbance to the super structure than I would like.
Regards
Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Victo ry Industries Vosper Crash Tender
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:38 pm »

Thanks to both of you for your help in uploading photos, I think I'm nearly there. Will have to start taking some photos. The Long Build model looks promising as the superstructure looks in good condition, shame about the hull. Do you have all the fittings? I am missing one fire monitor, but think I can make another out of brass.
No, no fittings.

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 09:20:09 am »

Here shown (hopefully) is the general installment of motor and servo steering linkage. Also shown is the original warped roof and my attempt to make another out of plasticard.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 10:04:52 am »

That's a lot of motor in there, I had two exactly the same in a 3 ft police boat and even running 7.2v NiMH batteries it was too fast to be stable, so I changed to smaller motors.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 10:12:13 am »

I agree lots of motor, I would think that 10 watts would be enough, total of 7.2 volts at 1.5 amps 5 volts at 2 amps.

How much increase in weight has there been?
Regards
Roy

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:34 am »

Thanks for the advice. I have smaller motors to experiment with and even the original Mighty Midget that still working.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 10:49:58 am »

The Mighty Midgets have a value and well over double with the box.  But not enough power for the RC version.  They used to be used in pre-proportional days for 'servos' for rudder control, I have Rip Max example.
regrds
Roy

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 02:55:40 pm »

https://youtu.be/yDLYGZT91cE

This is the link to the Youtube video that initially led me to the Model Boat Mayhem forum where it suggested that more info could be found. I assume the model is the Victory Industries one. Admittedly the video is 11 years old. If I could achieve this performance I would be more than happy. 

RST

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 04:07:24 pm »

I think there's a chance that is the deans marine tender kit. It looks a bit like a video from deans marine anyway so I'm putting two and two together there, might be wrong.

Rich

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 06:47:28 pm »

I think there's a chance that is the deans marine tender kit. It looks a bit like a video from deans marine anyway so I'm putting two and two together there, might be wrong.

Rich

Agree, I do not think it is the Victory Industrial version , so deans marine kit or and original.

Cavender

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 07:39:38 pm »

Yeah. Agree with you both. Shall I go back to model aeroplanes as I know a bit more about them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.