Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Novgorod. A Round Russian Monitor.  (Read 14602 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Novgorod. A Round Russian Monitor.
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2021, 10:20:15 am »

Very tasty boat there Paul but there's no way my blood pressure would survive driving anything like it. Novgorod is much more my pace!
Cheers
Tony

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2021, 07:26:26 pm »

The blood pressure does seem to go up a bit when there are 3 or 4 of us racing together.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2021, 07:41:58 pm »

Good grief there is no way I could think that fast... :o :o
Steamed up all the time

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2021, 12:31:57 pm »

hi there whilst searching for stuff for another topic - I came across this - it might be of interest or you might have already seen it.

The Novgorod....what an amazing vessel. (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2021, 08:17:38 am »

Thanks John.
I hadn't seen the whole thread, but I have seen most of the images & photos in it before.
Great reading.
Thanks again.
Paul.

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2021, 07:16:58 am »

A bit of a catch up on the progress.

I worked on getting the motor ESC & servo set up for the rotating platform & the raising of the cannon.
I also had to paint the barbette and the cabin before the final fitout of the cannon.

So I made a bracket from some aluminium angle to mount the motor & ESC onto.
I cut the base out of the barbette and connected the shaft of the platform to the motor/gearbox shaft with a flexible coupler.
A bracket was also fashioned for the servo that will raise & lower the cannon and fixed to the underside of the platform as this needs to rotate with the cannon.

It appears that the original ship would only raise & fire one cannon at a time. So I just connected the rear of them with thread through the floor to the arm on the servo.
When the servo is operated the cross arm would pull the rear of one of them down, raising the barrel. The other thread would just go slack as that side of the arm moved up.
Obviously operating the servo in the other direction would raise the other cannon.

Here's a few pics.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2021, 01:31:10 pm »

:o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2021, 04:44:43 am »

Not much to report. Unable to draw very much time from the 'Time Bank' lately. :((
But I've put together the bollards & the air intake cowls.
The bollards are made from some wooden dowel and some pvc sheet.
The cowls were a bit more expensive. But a funny story.
I needed a cowl of 35-37mm with a 16mm riser.
I had the riser in the form of some plastic microjet irrigation tube that had been lying around for donkey's years. Sweet.

But to get the right size & shape for the cowls I headed off to the supermarket with a trusty little 150mm ruler and started measuring the caps on small deoderant sprays, shaving cream packs, ladies personal product type of packs etc. Lord only knows what the other shoppers were thinking when they saw me doing this.
But the ideal candidate ended up being a small Dove, spray moisturiser pack. Perfect in both shape and diameter. Just a bit long, is all, so I only had to cut them down a bit.
So I bought 4 bottles of it for about 2 bucks each, stole the lids, & gave the lidless bottles to wifey to do with them what ever they do with spray moisturiser.

After cutting down the length, I drilled an appropriate size hole in them finishing off the holes with a drum sanding bit in the dremel tool
The pipes were cut to the correct angle & shape and glued into the cowls.
Rosin core solder was used to make a ring around the lip of the cowl and also on the riser just below the cowl as seen in some images of the real boat and other models.
A bit of filler to fair in the pipes to the cowl and then they were painted in grey primer.

Once I cut them to the correct length and angle to match the curve of the deck, I'll paint them in their final colour.

Here's some pics.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2021, 11:36:31 am »

Nice work and looking very good. One way to make cowl ventilators is to use a tube or any container where the neck is about the right size and heat up some plastic card and push a ball down into the plastic. The ball needs to be a good clearance fit taking into account the tube and thickness of the plastic. This produces a semi circular plastic shape which can be trimmed to size. Works pretty well! I actually found old 35mm film canisters and the top off a perfume bottle worked quite well.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2021, 11:33:42 am »

I don't know if you have seen this but I was browsing through my book collection and came across an article in "Warship 2015" by Stephen McLaughlin (17 pages) which provides some interesting details and anecdotes and explanations. Also some plans and pictures some showing 3 blade and other 4 blade and a mixture of propellers used and explanations. One thing I didn't realize was that the guns in the barbettes were also slightly trainable such whilst they could both point in the same general direction as per normal barbette guns each gun could be traversed a little in their mountings as well so they could actually fire at different targets!

It also provides details of the various modifications they underwent.

Cheers

Geoff

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2021, 11:15:08 am »

Re: the trainable mounts. Did the independent training apply to the original carriage mounts as modelled or to later mounts when they went from muzzle loading to breech loading?
Tony

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2021, 01:13:18 am »

Hi Geoff.
Thanks for the info on the ventilators. Certainly something to think of the next time I'm making some. I've also used plastic cooking measuring spoons before too, but couldn't find any the right size & shape for these ones.
I haven't seen that book you mention, but I have read that they could train the cannon individually to some extent. I won't be going to that length as I only have a 4 channel radio. Also, it sounds a bit tricky to set up on a revolving barbette floor.

Tony.
A good question.
I'd be interested in the answer to that one too Geoff, if it is mentioned in the book.

Again, not a lot to show for this weeks efforts.
I've mounted the main bridge and the flying bridges permanently.
To get the two flying bridges level and at right angles to the centerline of the ship. I taped them to a piece of straight wood then marked out the positions of the posts . Then removed the bridges to drill holes through the deck.
The posts were cut from some 4mm carbon fiber tube.
Then everything was epoxied in place with the wood brace still taped to the flying bridges.
The 30 minute epoxy gave me plenty of time to get everything set up straight, square, & level.

I've also started making the stanchions from some 1.5mm copper tube with an eyelet glued into the top.
You'll see a few loosely sitting in place in the first photo.

If I can get the funnels and ventilators all trimmed up and glued in today I will be a happy little sailor.
Here's some visuals.
Cheers.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2021, 05:57:34 pm »

Fantastic work!
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2021, 11:48:23 am »

Whether the guns could individually train a bit both before and after modification isn't mentioned. I was surprised to see there was a lot of difference between the two sisters as one was significantly bigger than the other - I always thought they were twins but far from it, different engines as well. If you haven't seen 'Warship' its an annual publication of technical articles on warships of all nations and periods. Truly excellent articles written by experts and I cant recommend it enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=warship+2015&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

I've been collecting this series since it first came out in quarterly publications many years ago and am fortunate to have them all.

You never know what each year is going to bring and when its going to become relevant as our modelling appetites change!

Cheers

Geoff

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2021, 08:21:56 pm »

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2021, 08:23:27 pm »

Geoff.
Thanks again for your input on this build.
Always interesting.

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2021, 01:30:33 am »

Hi guys.
I've still been chipping away at this project when I can find the time.
The most recent developement is the final painting and installation of the smoke stacks and the ventilators.

The eyelets arrived the other day so I installed those too after fitting a piece of clear plastic into them.
I put a drip of CA in the back of the small ones to hold it in place and it gave the plastic a 'frosted' look.
Fortunately, I think they look better than plain clear.
Still have the 6 larger ones to do yet. Also the port holes around the main bridge.
Anyhow, here's a few pics. The camera angles make it look as if things aren't vertical, but they are.
Cheers.
Paul.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2021, 01:35:58 am »

Wonderful looking garden table.... :} Good progress. Hope to see her in her element soon.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2021, 04:57:32 pm »

That is such a unique boat and an incredible build by you.  That really does look nice  :-))

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2021, 11:28:58 pm »

Thanks guys.
Akira,
I too am looking forward to the maiden. It might be sooner than expected now. Due to a lack of work, we have all been given our redundancy notices. So a bit of free time for a while.
I'm in no rush to find another job just yet.

Mark,
I like to build things that are a bit out of the norm. This one fits the bill.

Cheers.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2021, 04:04:30 am »

.... Sorry to hear that Mark, all the best.   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2021, 07:40:51 pm »

Enjoy the period of 'resting' and enjoy sailing that gorgeous Popovka!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.