Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutty Sark  (Read 50864 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutty Sark
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2022, 10:46:23 pm »

That is a good question sir.  Thousands of feet for sure.  I'm using up line like crazy just with this model.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2022, 01:42:47 am »

The Main Mast Trysail is now completely installed.  Very similar to the Spanker sail except it is loose footed.  Now moving on to the Mizzen Topmast Staysail and Topgallant Staysail.  These are smaller triangular sails that are secured to the two stays between the mizzen and main mast, just above the Main Mast Trysail.  I use black thread instead of metal hanks to attach the sail to the stay, so that can be a bit fiddily.  These sails should go up fairly quickly, I hope.   As a side note, I start my chemo sessions in a week and am not sure how I am going to be feeling or if I will even be able to do model work.  I hope so, as this does not take much effort and brings great joy. Cheers!  ;)  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2022, 01:43:39 am »

more.

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2022, 02:22:11 am »

As a side note, I start my chemo sessions in a week and am not sure how I am going to be feeling or if I will even be able to do model work.  I hope so, as this does not take much effort and brings great joy. Cheers!  ;)
Success to you on both counts.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2022, 07:32:20 am »

Beautiful Dennis and best of luck for next week…

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2022, 11:05:39 pm »

Ok, at first I thought for sure that I had installed the mizzen topmast staysail in backwards.  That would be the case according to the kit plan instructions.  My main reference is Underhill's plans of the Cutty Sark and I take those plans as Gospel.  So according to his plans, I am orientated correctly..... phewww!  :embarrassed:  I thought I was going to have to rip out the entire sail and do it over again.  Can't trust kit plans, ever.  That is why I always back up my builds with a library of reference books.  Just finished tying off the hanks to the backstay.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2022, 11:06:44 pm »

Underhills plans.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2022, 11:07:21 pm »

kit instructions

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2022, 11:08:23 pm »

oops, supposed to be kit instructions

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2022, 11:27:31 pm »

Wait a minute, the kit instructions ... doesn't that represent the ship during that that one season where that hotshot new Lieutenant had all these ideas for new and better ways to do things than anyone had ever done before?
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: August 22, 2022, 11:35:31 pm »

{-) for sure!  Its all in the details mate!   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: August 24, 2022, 04:51:03 am »

Ok, the mizzen topmast staysail is fully rigged and in place.  I just finished attaching the bolt rope to the topgallant staysail and clipped it in place prior to hanking it on to the forestay, etc.  Much the same as the other staysail in rigging.  It sure is a good thing that the backstays have not been rigged yet, as I would have alot of difficulty in installing those staysails.  I will work my way forward to the jibs before any backstay work begins.  Then its the yards and I can't even wrap my brain around those. {:-{ %% .... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2022, 05:55:37 am »

Moving forward on staysail install.  I have decided to go ahead at this point and mount the model on a mahogany base I built a number of years ago for a 4ft schooner model that I gave to a friend.  It appears to fit the Sark nicely, I just have to fine tune and adjust keel spacing supports, but it will provide a nice solid platform the model really needs for stability as the build progresses.  I have also decided to gift my Cutty Sark model to a dear friend who served in the US Navy as a fighter pilot and has been following the build of my model and has visited the Cutty Sark as she is today.  My way of saying "thankyou".  I now have renewed vigor to complete the model in a timely fashion.  I estimate another year is ahead.  We will see.  Cheers to all.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2022, 06:01:29 am »

Just finished installing the Main Topmast Staysail.  Dennis

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: August 27, 2022, 07:58:52 am »

Passing the model to a good friend is a lovely gesture Dennis, but I am not sure that Popeye and Oliveoil should be behaving like that…. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2022, 01:42:34 pm »

I know Footski... there is a real story behind that figure that has always caused me to wonder, but I just don't let my mind go there.  Too many sticks and strings to worry about mate. {:-{   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2022, 01:14:48 am »

Ok, the Staysails are all installed.  The Jibs will go in after I finish installing all the backstays.  I need to get those backstays in now, as the masts are being pulled out of alignment with all the staysail running rigging forcing the masts to lean forward.  I need those forestays at the bow to be nice and tight before installing the Jibs.  Its all about geometry, right?  Just got the first mizzen backstay on the STBD side installed, there will be four on each side, then I move forward into the "rats nest" of rigging.  Yikes!  Build on!  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2022, 01:16:13 am »

more. (and no, I don't know where Popeye has his right hand).

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2022, 06:26:53 pm »

Good grief Dennis, awesome, I would have wrecked it after trying to fit the first mast... O0  let alone the sails........
Brilliant work
Steamed up all the time

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2022, 02:38:33 am »

STBD backstays in on the mizzen mast.  Boy, what a "xxxxx".  Design did not leave much room to gain access to lower deadeyes between bulwarks, rails and coach roof.  Snapped off a few and had to re-drill for new lower deadeyes.  Very slow and tedious process.  Have last two to do on the Port side, then I can move on to the main mast and hopefully have more room to work.  Picture a huge giant with big hands working on the rigging of such a massive and great ship as the Cutty Sark.  What can I say. :-)  Dennis

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: September 04, 2022, 10:43:45 am »

Fantastic job Dennis  :-)) :-))

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2022, 10:26:25 pm »

the mizzen backstays are all installed, now working on the main backstays.  A dentist friend gifted me a number of his tools of the trade, one of which was a pair of Hemostats which come in very handy for clamping the backstays around the upper deadeye as my blurry picture shows.  Oh the fun of it all. O0 Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: September 10, 2022, 12:32:00 am »

Main backstays are just about in now.  Boy, cramped quarters caused alot of grief getting those deadeyes in with lanyards.  Had to pull and replace about five of the deadeyes because they were too close to the bulwarks to gain access... poor forethought on my part, but got through it.  The rigging is intense on this ship and I really haven't gotten into running rigging for square sails.. .yikes!  %%

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2022, 12:57:26 am »

The rigging is intense on this ship and I really haven't gotten into running rigging for square sails.. .yikes!  %%
Isn't that why your next Cutty Sark model will be the alternate history version where the designers saw the wisdom of using the Chinese lug rig. ok2

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2022, 09:59:35 pm »

Mainmast backstays are all in now.  Working on installing the Fairleads.  I'm using 1/8" deadeyes for this purpose, first filing in a notch on one side, then grabbing with my trusty hymostat, applying a dab of fast glue to the notch and then holding the deadeye in place on the backside of the stay until it sets, then I strop with black thread to complete the attachment.  I've got 14 more to go on these stays.  The old hands can still do it.  Makes me happy.  :-)  Dennis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.