Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy M's scratchbuilt Javelin project  (Read 12512 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Andy M's scratchbuilt Javelin project
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2022, 11:58:04 am »

Hi Paul,

I have only built two of the Vic Smeed models, ("Suzy Q" and "Remora" - so far), and I have used two laminated layers of 1/8" x 1/4" obechie for the chine stringers and gunwhale stringers on both.

To be honest, I would never try to bend a 1/4' square hardwood stringer into shape - there is no point as it would take longer and be much harder to fit and after all the extra effort it would take - it would still not be as strong as the two laminated layers of 1/8" x 1/4" that would have been much easier to fit!

I still quote imperial measurements, but the metric equivalent (helpfully shown when ordering from SLEC) is what we have to use these days!

Stay safe - Bob.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2022, 12:09:30 pm »

Total coincidence but I would like to know more.
I thought the bow of my little boat looked a bit like a pit viper's head, and I thought it sounded quite good too.
Looking forward to any more details on the lesro? Viper
I have been sketching yet another possible build, I drew the small sketch a while ago, a kind of mix between a Javelin and a Fletcher Arrowshaft 25. The larger drawing is 26.5 inches long, looks a bit small for the outboard to me. The small sketch shows the boat a fair bit bigger compared to the outboard.

I get lots of ideas, sketch loads and build some of them. The small sketch looked promising, not sure if I kept that when I scaled it up. See how it develops, it may not come to anything.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2022, 06:52:21 pm »

I am a fan of Vic's designs too, I have built a Vic Smeed Vivacity, Rorqual, mini Rorqual and a mini Suzie Q.
I have also built Starlet yacht in mini, standard and man carrying size.

The Vivacity build at 54 inches was enough to convince me to build my man carrying giant Starlet.
 My 2 seat Viper is only 34 inches longer than Vivacity!
Vic designed some very nice planes too.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2022, 10:52:38 pm »

I was thinking about the spray rails again, I cant afford to buy obeche just now, although it sounds like nicer stuff to work with than spruce. I have only encountered it as skinning for foam wings.
 I only have a 4 inch by 36 inch plank of spruce, 5mm thick, so getting the spray rails right first time is quite desirable, but they will still be close for length. I was hunting in my shed for anything more suitable, then when I gave up and went in for a coffee, I got a text from a friend, did I want a wardrobe for my stove? I said yes, stove fodder always welcome.
 On the way to pick it up, or the parts of it anyway, I had a thought that if it was an old one, it might have some real wood bits that may be of use.
 It turns out it was pretty new looking, with what I thought was MDF slats on the doors, then I found a broken edge showing they were actually pine, 5mm thick, same as my spruce but a bit easier to work with, and plenty of extra bits to perfect my production technique. I tried cutting some freehand on the upturned jigsaw, terrible, even the line I drew rubbed off as I was feeding the slat through. I knew it wasnt going to work that well but I wanted a decent look at the wood, seems fairly decent, I hit a knot so the spray rail fell apart. The wood is painted, pretty nicely too, so if I can keep that, it will be a nice base for my paint. Only thing about it being painted is that you cant see knots until its too late and you are already cutting it.
 I have 10 bits about 5 feet long and 3 bits 4 feet long, so hopefully I can get enough bits without knots. I will see how it goes, I might just go for 2 per side, although I went for 3 on my Viper (glued on!) No screws were used as I didnt want holes in my hull. Even temporary ones. Holding them on was a job.
 Anyway, back to the model spray rails, I am going to have a go at planing the profile on the edge of a slat ready for carefull removal with vertical cut on the jigsaw.
  I got some near perfect straight lines cutting out my ply Javelin bits, I should be able to get fairly decent results if I take my time cutting the spray rail off, its definately easier to sand pine.
 I just found it strange (but good) that my friend had come up with a big load of spray rail material, just when I needed it and it was free. Hopefully I will get enough to do my ply Javelin too.
 Just had a thought, I will probably put 3 on each side of the balsa Javelin, purely to add a bit more protection to the hull.
 3 looks good anyway.
Looking forward to trying to plane a bit of the pine to see how it goes. If that doesnt work well, I will try belt sanding the profile edge on.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 07:39:01 pm »

I managed to get my rubbing strips and chine rails glued on. Definately adds to it, looks and ding resistance.
 I pre rounded the lower outer edges of the rubbing strips before I glued them on, knowing balsa damage could occur if I waited till they were on before sanding. I have the top edges still to round over once I give them a light sand to make sure they are flush with the deck.
 I used superglue gel again, with some areas having to be done with faster setting thin stuff to hold it until the gel grabbed, maybe not enough gel on those bits.
 I am going to my usual and run a neat bead of pva along the top of the chine rail, this gives a nice small radius join to the hull once it dries and shrinks, I only use 'waterproof' pva.
 Once dry, I will flip the hull over and do the same to the underside of the rubbing strips.

Happy with how it  is coming together. Its a lovely shape.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2022, 01:01:08 am »

Ply version of the Javelin is coming along nicely, good weather meant I could get sanding done outside. Progress is quite slow though, my chest and shoulder are still slowing me up.
Last photo shows how I got the last of the gorilla gel superglue to the end of the nozzle, just taped to a sanding drum and speed 2 in my cordless drill 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2022, 03:37:52 am »

Good progress, first pic shows the one piece deck sitting loosely, second pic is with deck glued down, except the section at transom,, due to the deck curve and the downward slope, the rear of the deck needs to be split, this was trimmed to fit, with the join where it will be under the cabin side.
I did consider making swappable Rapier/Javelin one piece tops/ hatches, but the coaming would need to be only 15mm and less at the stern, which I didnt really fancy.
It would have been easy to do at this stage but I will just build my Javelin as planned.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2022, 08:14:03 am »

Quick work yet again Andy  :-))
You'll be on the water with both in no time.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2022, 09:01:11 pm »

Thanks, I have been immersing myself in my modelling, so construction can go fast, but a lot of my time is spent thinking about other things.
I decided to weigh the models as a matter of interest.
Balsa version as shown, windscreen is inside boat. Lol. Weight 1030g
Ply version, basically the hull only. Weight 1089g with superstructure still to make.
Need to wait till they are finished but don't think there will be much in it.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2022, 09:23:50 pm »

Yesterday I trimmed off excess ply with angle grinder and flap disc down to 2mm from finished level, planed it down even closer then finished off with a mammoth sanding session in the cold wind. Did wonders for my chest/shoulder, (not) , and left my sanding hand cramped up. Ah well, the hull looks clean and sharp now. As I am still debating whether to build a Rapier cabin, I drew up a template last night from a tracing I had done from my laptop but the scale was out, so I fired up me old laptop again and scaled it to the right size, traced it again and started a new template.
 I had a go at a colour scheme while I was on photoshop, just a rough go though😁

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2022, 09:35:36 pm »

The Rapier and smaller Stiletto are a strange mix aren't they.
They hull is race boat, but the cabin is more Classic Motor Cruiser.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2022, 09:52:27 pm »

I showed my friend the stiletto, he didnt like the shape.....
It has something about it.

I am pretty sure I am going to do a Rapier.
I will see how things go.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2022, 09:59:52 pm »

I like the shape, of both (they're just a larger and smaller design of the same thing after all), the two designs (hull and superstructure) just don't seem to match style wise in my opinion, that's all.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2022, 10:33:31 pm »

The Javelin definately suits the hull better, I like the Rapier too, its just different.
I have something else in the pipeline as well, I will reveal it at a later stage. Got plenty to do for the moment, so might be a wee while.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2022, 04:53:41 pm »

Rapier Cabin sides cut out, so I am definately building one 😁still got window trimming to do, they were a task to cut, my saw only has 12 inch throat. So a lot of maneuvering was required. Turned out not bad though.
 The javelin sides are a bit easier. 😁

Got quite a few bulkheads to draw up now and get cut out.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2022, 05:20:09 pm »

Is that so you can choose between the two on that particular day?
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2022, 07:11:03 pm »

Yip, I thought it made sense really, seeing as how I have a hull that fits both. No need for a second hull and radio etc, just swap the 'cabins'.
Sorted. 😁

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2022, 08:48:21 pm »

I like the shape, of both (they're just a larger and smaller design of the same thing after all), the two designs (hull and superstructure) just don't seem to match style wise in my opinion, that's all.

That's been my view as well Will. A quite modern looking hull but with a superstructure that looks dated. Been thinking about building one and altering the windows to a more modern shape but really it needs to be more than that with a sleeker superstructure.

Had thoughts in the past about designing my own boat but the interest in these has brought to my attention what a nice hull it is and simple to build (compared with some of my Faireys!) and so is an ideal starting point. Few tweaks to the hull and a modern superstructure would produce a really nice model. Don't  get me wrong, the Stiletto is nice but it was designed a long time ago and fulfilled the brief for a kit that could be quickly and easily built with the minimum of tools. Scratch building allows all sorts of possibilities!

Andy - been following your builds and really impressed with the quality and the speed of them and ploughing your own furrow! Same as regards your outboards and looking forward to them coming together and seeing how the combination performs.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2022, 09:54:41 pm »

I was going to wait till I was further on with it, but I have yet another superstructure in the construction stage, well, I have cut the sides out. 😁
I think it looks not bad.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2022, 10:41:02 pm »

Nice one Andy, looks pretty good. Certainly looks a more cohesive design. Bit more angle at the front perhaps?

Not sure about the tartan curtains though!   {-)

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2022, 02:52:42 am »

Lol, I never noticed the tartan curtains.
There are 3 windows going on the front, I can sweep the front one a bit and see how that looks.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2022, 04:14:28 pm »

I got my coaming(s?) glued on. They are 17mm high apart from the slanted section at the stern, which slopes down to 11mm to allow the Javelin superstructure to fit.
Also shown is a sort of mock up showing my Edita cabin cruiser superstructure with the Javelin hull. I had to modify the rear section of my new sides to allow it to meet with the downward slope of the Javelin deck. The original Edita hull is flat, so I had to do something to make it work with the Javelin, without modifying the general shape too much.
I am going to take ChrisF's suggestion and rake the front windows back a bit more, the side windows will get trimmed to match front angle as well.
I am not sure how it will look when finished, I may have to modify more of it.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2022, 07:02:52 pm »

Andy, will you slow down. You're making the rest of us look bad, especially me!

Seriously, this version is looking really good. There is always thoughts about tweaking things but that is effectively a prototype and for a first attempt you've pretty much cracked it. Adds to the interest if you can do your own thing.

Chris

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2022, 12:16:33 am »

I have been busy cutting out all the bulkheads for the different superstructures.
 I decided to start assembly on the Rapier first.
 It went together fairly quickly, I have sort of headed off in my own direction a bit and have stopped referring to photos, plan etc. It is relatively close, but I did my own ideas for roof curves etc.
 Its a pity that the coaming can be seen through the windows, I am going to try painting the coaming black to see if it disappears. If not, maybe tinted windows? It definately needs windows, any water would just slosh in there. I was worried about the front scoop on the balsa Javelin, the Rapier window lower edges are only about 6mm above deck level.
 The fore and aft roofs add a lot of strength to the superstructure, I did think about using 1/32 ply to keep the weight down a bit, but decided to use 1/16 for strength. They do add up to a fair bit of weight that is well above the waterline. The centre roof will get fitted once I have built up the interior walls and floor.
 I will attach liners to the superstructure bulkheads, following the line of the coaming, but inboard of it a mm or 2, then add a cap over the gap between the cabin side and liner.
 I will show pics once I get to that bit.
 Not quite sure where I am heading with front and rear windows of the centre section. I wanted to get the front and rear roofs fitted before I decide.
 The very front window has still to be marked up and cut out, it will probably need dremelling and filed. There is a space behind it for access to fit a window once painting is done.... Long long way off for that though.
 I could miss out the centre cabin liner/floor, but I think it is worth doing, if there is something visible in there, it might take your eyes off the coamings in the other windows😁
Anyway, very pleased with progress,
 Edita superstructure has a huge rear bulkhead, I want to cut windows in it before it gets glued, I have to work out floor/door height and also floor /walls for rear well, still have to draw up bulkheads for the aft section.
 Good thing is that I can draw up a batch of bits in the living room, for any of the superstructures, to make the most of my trips to the cold shed for cutting. I have had to stick little masking tape labels on the bits so I dont forget which is which 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2022, 12:19:48 am »

I made a stand to use for the outboard powered version , as simple as I could make it. It needs some foam as it is pretty slidey.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.