Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: LesRo Stiletto  (Read 8037 times)

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LesRo Stiletto
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2022, 10:33:40 am »

Busy drawing up all parts for laser cutting  with lift off superstructure in two sizes  for Chris  & myself  -  Chris obtained the original plan & had it scanned  - Circlip did his usual magic trick (that's the plan he (Ian) posted on RC groups that Harry has simply resized and posted on this & other MB sites )

Was going to remaster the original but it does not seem worthwhile - there appear to be too many jumping on the bandwagon !

Would rather produce the same hull with thinner keel & other mods as the original was designed for IC power................

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2022, 10:44:28 am »

I’m just interested in the original version but hopefully haven’t upset anyone with this interest! Not trying to steal anyone’s thunder. Just a Lesro fan who would like to keep the models alive (when I can more devote time to it).

Will back away from the bandwagon carefully.  ok2
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2022, 11:01:43 am »

.................. hopefully haven’t upset anyone with this interest! Not trying to steal anyone’s thunder. Just a Lesro fan who would like to keep the models alive (when I can more devote time to it).

DITTO - Absolutely......... :-))

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2022, 11:09:50 am »

Hi Stuw

I love you to keep on the bandwagon.
Always room for another Lesro fan .
I think it has taken months to track down a plan and thanks to Circlip he has come up trumps!!!
I bought a nice little half cabin cruiser for $50au, did not know what it was ??

But a few pics on the forum sites and I had a Nor-Star Waverider !!!

So it goes with my Sea Hornet, Swordsman(still building), 2 Huntsman and a Wavemaster.

Working on a Nor-Star Wave Princess at present.

I think I have the bug for old boats !!!

Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2022, 11:23:03 am »

Its always nice to see more people either sharing their interest in classic model boat kits or getting involved for the first time.

Sharing information and helping each other to either restore, rescue, or even build replica's (of original size of not) is what helpful forum threads like this one are all about and it is good to see.

Lets hope we see a lot more "getting on the bandwagon" (a rather unfortunate phrase) and hope that no-one is being discouraged from using this freely available information that should benefit as many people as possible without restriction.

Stay with us Stuw - and use as much of the information seen here as you want to.  If it is shown on here then its available to everyone. :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2022, 12:23:50 pm »

Harry

The drawing that Circlip posted is the exact same drawing that was shown on this thread originally (taken from the Model Boats forum) and is the exact same drawing that Will subsequently found a better copy of, so a drawing was available sometime ago before Circlip posted one on RC Groups.

Circlip cleaned up the drawing (the first one shown which I got scanned) by removing marks etc. and straightened out any distortion caused by printing, folding and age.

It contains no additional information! The two previous drawings could have been used just as easily to produce the bulkheads though it is of course nice to start with a more accurate drawing but not essential.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2022, 12:44:21 pm »

Thanks all of you who have spent time and money sorting out all this helpful information.

It’s great that we are able to get it all together from far flung parts of the planet! This site helped me greatly during lockdown here in UK and I’m now a daily viewer. It’s much more positive and inspiring than the daily news!

2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2022, 07:21:58 pm »

Streaker/Javelin bulkheads, cabin side/ends & breasthook should be on attached pdf.Paul.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2022, 07:37:21 pm »

You certainly made use of your drawing skills there Paul.   :-))

Proper job!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2022, 07:51:10 pm »

Hi Chris
Yes the old skills are handy occasionally and no ink involved this time !
sadly this was all I needed to draw back in the day - because we had the original drawing for side & plan elevations.
Granted the design is somewhat of a 'classic' -  but I think it's very slab sided (vertical for most of its length),
and could benefit from a few degrees of flare to the sides, now there's a challenge for someone !
Paul.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2022, 08:21:08 pm »

Yeah, but you've drawn the most important parts there. The others could easily be drawn with reference to your photographs. Just need Will to track down the kit plan now!

Funnily enough when looking at the Stiletto kit plan I initially thought that the hull sides had some angle to them as that was what it looked like from the small assembly drawings. But the plan shows the deck and chine stringers directly over each other from the bow rearwards,  so as you say slab sided. Not too bad though as the freeboard is not that great.

Would be easy enough to modify though I suppose you are moving away from the original design then. I'm already thinking of making some modifications to the "Stiletto" superstructure but I'm not being precious about it as at 30" long it is neither a Stiletto or a Rapier. Could always build two superstructures, one modified and one original? Some narrowing on plan towards the stern wouldn't go amiss either!

Chris

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2022, 04:33:55 am »

Hi Chris
Yes the old skills are handy occasionally and no ink involved this time !
sadly this was all I needed to draw back in the day - because we had the original drawing for side & plan elevations.
Granted the design is somewhat of a 'classic' -  but I think it's very slab sided (vertical for most of its length),
and could benefit from a few degrees of flare to the sides, now there's a challenge for someone !
Paul.
I noticed on photos that Original sides looked almost vertical, I angled mine on the Javelin in at the bottom by 5mm, not much but bit less slabby.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2022, 04:44:11 am »

The 5mm is measured on widest area of side. Due to the slant, as the rear deck slopes down, it actually narrows a small amount towards the stern.
My 'Javelin' isnt really a Javelin, theres a good few differences, but I like them. Lol.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2022, 11:02:44 am »

Andy, when I was attempting to draw some bulkheads from the Stiletto plan, I noticed how slab sided it was too, from about B3 back. 
With my current drawing and building skills, that doesn't bother me at present, but in the future, maybe a slight alteration, like you have done might be something that I will attempt as well, just out of curiosity as much as anything.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2022, 11:47:25 am »

HI All
I had a go at the bulkheads, but, from my mate said I made mistakes on the chine sections !!!

Well, it did remove the slab sides, so bottom of B3, 4 and 5 ended up the same with different cabin heights .

Harry
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.