Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck width greater than wood sheets available  (Read 1020 times)

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Deck width greater than wood sheets available
« on: December 18, 2022, 04:40:58 pm »

Hi,I'm attempting to build a boat from a plan for the first time (mainly as an experiment to gain some experience).The (very) limited information supplied suggests a 5mm thick mahogany deck done in one piece (approx 740x210mm).I thought doing it in 1 piece sounds a bit risky (and expensive), so I thought about doing it in 2 widths.It seems most wood sheets are available in a maximum of 100mm wide, so not quite wide enough (typical!). I did enquire about a bespoke piece but that seemed prohibitively expensive.I would welcome any suggestions on what you might do when presented with this dilemma, I'm happy to use different/thinner/veneers of wood/how to make butt joints invisible, anything really.
Thanks,Mark

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Deck width greater than wood sheets available
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 04:57:10 pm »

Have a look at this marquetry site. I've used them for trims in the past and they're rather helpful. Would possibly be easier to work with veneer on ply.
https://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/product/african-mahogany-wood-veneer-13/
 :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 05:54:49 pm »

Hi

Here you go it's a piece that will do the job for you.  If you speak to them they will bring it down to 5mm as they have done this for me in the past

https://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk/honduras-mahogany-boxmakers-piece-no-67.html

Cheers Mark

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 07:21:31 pm »

5mm seems very thick and heavy for a deck - not to say expensive if you use mahogany! I would be inclined to use 2 or 3mm ply and then add 2mm planks.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 07:28:10 pm »

Just out of interest, why do you want a 5mm thick deck for a 740mm boat? For a model of this size something in the order of 1.5mm t0 2mm would be the normal practice. Anything over this will not lend itself to bending to follow the curve of the hull and would be very heavy. You don't say if it is intended to be a working model.

As you will have alfready found out, mahogany in the size you want is going to be pretty expensive but you could use birch ply and simply stain it as an alternative. A 2mmx300mmx900mm sheet from SLEC would cost under £12 plus postage. Usually one side will feature a less prominent grain pattern.

When making enquiries of this nature it is always best to give us as much information as possible to enable helpful replies to be given.

Colin

Snap Barrie!

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 08:15:29 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the helpful replies.Those are beautiful pieces of mahogany but way beyond my "prohibitively expensive" budget of sheets that I had already found.
I was vague about the actual model because i didn't want to be overly detailed but that has perhaps backfired a little.

So, the model is a Riva Aquarama (Sarik version) and the mahogany is for the outer edges/centre deck plank (king plank?) and it's 5mm to allow some thickness for the planking in between for the deck striping (I assume).I can't believe i missed the birch ply at 300mm when i perused the Slec website, as I had considered staining too as a more cost effective solution.

I haven't yet decided whether to build it as a working or static model but I will be keeping an eye on the weight as i build.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Many thanks,
Mark

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 01:12:57 am »

I am no expert, believe me.
I would personally go a different route. I would use a plywood underdeck, that would give a stable base. Then I would plank over the top of it with the good wood planks.
The Aquarama has a planked deck. If the plan shows a full width piece, I would be inclined to think that this is the plywood base layer. Especially considering the large cut outs in the deck.

Have a search on this board for 'aquarama' https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,91.0.html
There may not be a Sarik plans version, but you will probably see how others have done the decking on the Amati Models version. With a bit of thought the methodology should be applicable.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.