Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Vagabond-S" Australian prawn trawler  (Read 3526 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
"Vagabond-S" Australian prawn trawler
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:29:18 am »

Hi There, this current build is at 1:16 scale she is an early Bob McLaren built  trawler "Vagabond-S"  68 x 20 ft 1969  built for Henry Spencer, plans (G.A & 1 midsection frame) were supplied by Joe McGettigan (Bob McLaren's Nephew) frames are of Beech , keel ,deadwood & stem Tassy oak & Rose wood, stringers ,ribs & planking also Beech , cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Vagabond-S" Australian prawn trawler
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 05:47:23 pm »

Hi Brian - This is going to be awesome the boat has such a nice rise towards the bow.  I really like watching your carpentry it always gives me food for thought.  Good luck with the build mate  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 10:59:07 pm »

Hi there, thank you Mark , I just checked your build out geez its a work of art mate  :-)) .Well with these next shots inserting the stringers , if anyone is wondering why i have 2 cuts in the stem its because I measured once and cut twice instead of the other way around  :embarrassed: . I got away with using 2 lamination's of ribs in the hollow heal section without having to steam them, then showing using fillers over the stringers at the frames , and cutting into the chine stringer for each rib, then all ribbed up ready for planking, cheers  :-))
Brian  B

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 01:55:22 am »

Really tight work Brian.
Do you run the timber through a thicknesses of just the band saw?
Do you use the band saw for all your cutting or do you have a table saw as well?
And what sort of glue are you using?

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 11:33:11 am »

Hi Guys, Hi Steve I use a bench saw to cut the larger sections down then use the band saw to cut planking or decking etc, only just recently bought a small thicknesser , haven't used it yet, I use areldite on the frames etc then super glue for the remainder , these next photo's show her being planked using Beech , not having enough room to clamp the planks on ,screwed them on the frames then doweled them after taking the screws out using the bamboo skewers slightly shaved down, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 04:27:46 pm »

That’s some sweet wood work  :-))   I always think these boats look like they could really hold some speed on the water

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 11:32:57 am »

Hi there, most of these vessels back then averaged between 9 & 10 knots as they didn't have big HP like they do these days Mark.Fitting filler pieces between the ribs at deck level, inside view of where the motor will be fitted, I decided to change how I install the motor so re shaped 2 of the main frames. Then cut enough decking from Beech 5 x 1.5 mm. Then with the inside of the hull filled the bilge sections with resin ( can't remember how much was used ), then she had 2 coats of  X40 Bondcoat ( 2 pack) prior to one coat of white undercoat then 2 coats of white gloss enamel paint.  All the deck beams were then fitted along with the lift out deck sections prior to being covered with 1.8 mm ply...cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 10:24:22 am »

Hi There , next section of progress are,,,steaming the Colonial teak sponson's, then cramping them in position till the following day, the brass holding brackets for the motor, then making the brass rudder using 1/8 inch plating and soldering the parts together, then pinning the brass tube for the rudder, then 1st of 3 undercoats ( already has had Everdue wood preserver applied in and out ), then cutting the black cardboard strips for between the decking planks........... Cheers  :-)) ....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 04:02:36 am »

Hi there, next section of photos starting with laying the 1.8 mm ply, the outer decking cover strip layed , then  showing  more than enough 5 x 1.5 mm beech decking strips, then laying the deck strips with the black cardboard glued in between each decking strip, then after decking completed her 1st coat of Everdue wood preserver , red cedar deck house combing and her Colonial teal bollard post. Cheers.  :-)) .
Brian  B

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 11:05:25 pm »

Looks great. Any issues with moisture and the caulking, or does the varnish seal it well enough?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 03:55:38 pm »

Thinned down varnish does wonders for converting card into a form of melomine. When I saw your name pop up in the list of posts, I knew we were in for another superb lesson in how to do miniature carpentry. It is nice to know that under the paint is some excellent carpentry and that the paint hides no cheating. Brilliant work (yet again) Brian!
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 05:53:22 am »

Hi There, Thank you ballastanksian, never had any trouble with moisture Steve as the caulking seam and deck strips have plenty of coats applied. Next was the deck house and top cabin made from ply , rosewood, beech , colonial teak and walnut ,cheers.  :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 04:41:07 pm »

Such lovely joinery  :-))   The boat really is looking great  O0

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 10:17:17 am »

Thank you Mark.  My trusty old file saw which has had quiet a few bungy drops onto the cement ,but this time slightly hit on the wrong angle , so went on line to get parts for it ,then though if I fork out x amount then something else is liable to spit the dummy on it, so out of desperation I super glued the arm together ( not holding out much hope for it)  well its been 3 months now still going ,I use it just about every day ? Fitted all the Tassy oak stanchion post, then planked with Beech, cheers . :-)) .
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2023, 04:58:25 pm »

I lent mine to someone at college for a final project and little did I realise the cheeky biffer would basically carve the whole piece with it! Wore the pad out and got the motor excited.

We used to have a Black and Decker dealer five minutes rive from home (once returned from said college) and they had replacement pads. Save a bit of money up each week and then get your new parts while bravely carrying on with the old arm.

I like the progress, that deck house is awesome!
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2023, 10:31:12 pm »

Hi ballastanksian , yes it doesn't matter where you are in this world there is always those particular persons that will abuse your kindness, I do have an old Black n Decker but it only has 2 speeds flat out and stop, I like this Ryobi as it has variable speed on it  O0 .  With this next section ,notching the top insides of the stanchion post for the side strips , then side strips attached and also capping rails....Fabricating the exhaust stack behind the top cabin, then attaching the base for the flybridge uprights...Cheers.. :-)) ...
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 05:52:47 pm »

Sounds like it is the same model as my Powerfile. Likewise all or nothing. Will you wrap the exhaust stack in a veneer or liteply? You will show us soon anyway, so don't worry about answering this!

Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 11:07:39 pm »

Hi ballastanksian, clad the exhaust with tapered strips

Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 11:15:08 pm »

Hi there, 1st time and last I made the cabin prior to constructing the bulwarks ,I was slightly out on the aft section of the awning , so had to do a cut n tuck on her, then installed the fly bridge upright or post ?, then made up louvers for 3 of the doorways in the bottom deck house , cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2023, 06:58:19 pm »

Ok those louvres are flash - I like them and I bet you did some cursing making them too  {-)

They make the cabin look fantastic  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 11:50:24 am »

Hi Mark, can't remember as plenty other things at times to curse about  O0 , next the gantries, she had an unusual gantry set up, bit of an over kill with the height and amount of piped webbing. I made the main structure of the gantries and trawl booms from Tassy oak, the feet made of brass for the gantrie legs to slide into , as to male it easy for dismantling for transporting ,the trawl boom pivot points made from brass and copper. cheers  :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2023, 12:57:55 am »

Hi there, next section of photo's are,, making the copper flanges for the hand railing uprights , then few shots of all hand railing ladders etc, making of the radar stand and the bow post for the front gantry stays, In the last photo (in the background) had the "Charissa" in for repairs after she was slammed into at the local Model Club morning, cheers .  :-)) .
Brian  B

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2023, 08:13:23 am »

Fascinating to watch your progress Brian - another beauty in the making !

marco

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Is Great !
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2023, 04:01:57 pm »

Very splendid work , I like it .

Marco
if you don't know ask , if you know share

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2023, 10:49:23 am »

Hi there, thanks guys.....constructing the legs for the sorting table , her main trawl winch, this trawler she had an anchor davit & roller on her s.b side beside the stem....cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.