Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Carrier on Fire in the North Sea.  (Read 3654 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Car Carrier on Fire in the North Sea.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2023, 02:52:00 pm »

probably if the fire started with one EV battery, past a certain point it would spread to all the other EV's batteries, once that happened there would be little chance of controlling it. possibly the main reason I think I will stick to my diesel volvo (that and limited charging facilities near my home.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2023, 04:18:53 pm »

A bit off subject :embarrassed:

My main reason for not going to an EV is range, charging points, charge time, {:-{ and resale cost, also Jaguar as from 2024 will only be building EVs starting at £100k. %% So I’ve traded in my current F Type and purchased one of the last V8 F Type.
Regards David

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2023, 05:12:19 pm »

Fire Monitoring Martin?  :}

Colin

{-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2023, 08:10:50 pm »

EV batteries might be getting a bad reputation here.  What about all the cars that have magnesium parts?  Those cars would have vastly out-numbered the number of EV's on this car carrier.  I'm not sure, but I've got my doubts that we'll EVER find the real "smoking gun" behind this fire.
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2023, 08:19:42 pm »

A bit off subject :embarrassed:

My main reason for not going to an EV is range, charging points, charge time, {:-{ and resale cost, also Jaguar as from 2024 will only be building EVs starting at £100k. %% So I’ve traded in my current F Type and purchased one of the last V8 F Type.

Nice!!  :-)) :-))

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2023, 09:49:51 pm »

It has now been disclosed that the burning boat contained 498 (Four Hundred and Ninety Eight) EVs in its manifest.
Not the originally stated 25.
There's plenty there to stoke the fire.

Bintur Ellenbach

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2023, 11:50:26 am »

EV batteries might be getting a bad reputation here.  What about all the cars that have magnesium parts?  Those cars would have vastly out-numbered the number of EV's on this car carrier.  I'm not sure, but I've got my doubts that we'll EVER find the real "smoking gun" behind this fire.
Magnesium doesn't spontaneously combust like EV batteries, it also needs a high temperature flame before it will ignite. While magnesium parts will contribute to the ferocity of the fire once ignited they will not start the fire.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2023, 12:55:34 pm »

It's interesting how the Media jumped on the band wagon of it being an EV that started the fire. we didn't hear much about this one https://apnews.com/article/newark-cargo-ship-fatal-fire-firefighters-killed-0cca093cce2fa82fc1fe535ae8932b99 Yes its possible that it was an EV battery but it could have been a number of other things as well. We will just have to wait for the investigation to come to it's findings. As for EV's I think they have a place in motoring. We are a household of two cars one an old 2004 Diesel which I have owned for 14+ years and the other a 2017 Leaf which we have owned for 2+ years. Because we brought the Leaf in during Lock down the price was low and I could sell it today for what I paid for it. the advantage if the Leaf is cheap running costs the disadvantage is range 80 miles to a charge. The advantage of the old diesel is great fuel economy on a long journey 50+mpg the disadvantage is that drops below 30mpg running around town. Just based on the economics and ignoring all the environmental stuff The Leaf saves me around £1500 a year on fuel costs which is paying for most of the loan repayments. This is worked out on the fuel cost for the Leaf of 7p a mile from home charging though this could be lower with an overnight charging tariff (4p a mile) the diesel at 30mpg costs 22p a mile around town and at 50mpg 13p a mile on a long journey. If I took the Leaf on a long journey it word cost 25p a mile when it was charged on a public charger. Would I take the Leaf on a long journey NO but around town its great. The Diesel is great for the long journey's and if there is an occasion that we need to use both cars.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2023, 01:40:59 pm »

I drive a car transporter and EV''s are starting to become a worry within the industry.  Here's a copy of a letter to a haulier from DFDS.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2023, 09:08:04 pm »

It's interesting how the Media jumped on the band wagon of it being an EV that started the fire. we didn't hear much about this one https://apnews.com/article/newark-cargo-ship-fatal-fire-firefighters-killed-0cca093cce2fa82fc1fe535ae8932b99 Yes its possible that it was an EV battery but it could have been a number of other things as well. We will just have to wait for the investigation to come to it's findings. As for EV's I think they have a place in motoring. We are a household of two cars one an old 2004 Diesel which I have owned for 14+ years and the other a 2017 Leaf which we have owned for 2+ years. Because we brought the Leaf in during Lock down the price was low and I could sell it today for what I paid for it. the advantage if the Leaf is cheap running costs the disadvantage is range 80 miles to a charge. The advantage of the old diesel is great fuel economy on a long journey 50+mpg the disadvantage is that drops below 30mpg running around town. Just based on the economics and ignoring all the environmental stuff The Leaf saves me around £1500 a year on fuel costs which is paying for most of the loan repayments. This is worked out on the fuel cost for the Leaf of 7p a mile from home charging though this could be lower with an overnight charging tariff (4p a mile) the diesel at 30mpg costs 22p a mile around town and at 50mpg 13p a mile on a long journey. If I took the Leaf on a long journey it word cost 25p a mile when it was charged on a public charger. Would I take the Leaf on a long journey NO but around town its great. The Diesel is great for the long journey's and if there is an occasion that we need to use both cars.

Going off topic I know but we will embrace an EV at some point, probably before we are forced to, because it will serve our needs. I've just ordered another ICE car, a petrol hybrid, which is our main car and will do us for a few more years. Will look at changing my sports car  <:(  in a year or two for a small EV which will suit my wife better and be our runabout. I won't be charging it inside the integral garage though, no way! 

The honeymoon period for EVs is starting to come to an end though unsurprisingly. From 2025 road tax/VED for EVs is being increased from £0 and they will no longer be exempt from premium car tax (currently if over £40k.). Also the government will have to find a way of replacing the revenue lost from fuel duty. What with the cost of electricity, the cost of the cars, increased insurance and these other costs, they may be good for the environment but financially???

Breakdown services and fire services are already having to invest to deal with the increasing number of EVs and we are only just starting!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2023, 11:43:59 am »

Seems that there are a few Chinese manufacturers poised to flood the market with cheaper than most, EVs. Thanks to the plethora of electronics now fitted to vehicles, it has been suggested that it wouldn't be difficult to disable the drive by the press of a button far away, the VW scam being sited as an example.

Before any one shouts SciFi, how many cars are NOT fitted with the chip that turns on the 'Service' light when a distance or date triggers it? It seems one manufacturer has programmed its chip to put the vehicle into 'Limp' mode so at the prescribed time you WILL take me to my leader for currency extraction from your wallet.

Regards  Ian.

Honeymoon period for EVs? Is that the same as shown for Diesels Chris? Wonder how many hundreds of thousands of pounds has been 'Reclaimed' by drivers who bought them as 'Green' alternatives and NOT cheaper to run??????
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2023, 12:09:47 pm »

Going off topic I know but we will embrace an EV at some point, probably before we are forced to, because it will serve our needs. I've just ordered another ICE car, a petrol hybrid, which is our main car and will do us for a few more years. Will look at changing my sports car  <:(  in a year or two for a small EV which will suit my wife better and be our runabout. I won't be charging it inside the integral garage though, no way! 

The honeymoon period for EVs is starting to come to an end though unsurprisingly. From 2025 road tax/VED for EVs is being increased from £0 and they will no longer be exempt from premium car tax (currently if over £40k.). Also the government will have to find a way of replacing the revenue lost from fuel duty. What with the cost of electricity, the cost of the cars, increased insurance and these other costs, they may be good for the environment but financially???

Breakdown services and fire services are already having to invest to deal with the increasing number of EVs and we are only just starting!

Chris

"Also the government will have to find a way of replacing the revenue lost from fuel duty." The answer to that is simple just look at some of the comments about ULEZ on YouTube and you will see that the next thing will be pay per mile and I'm sure it will cost more for ICE cars and  the older your car the more you will have to pay.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2023, 01:15:30 pm »

Ian - yes, misguided guidance from the government and could well apply to EVs as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the ban in the UK on new ICE cars from 2030 gets put back. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket!

Johno - that could well be the case. At least being retired I do far less miles than I used to.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2023, 10:55:01 am »

Yes Chris. but also as a wrinkly and a declared reduced annual mileage we still get hit with stupid insurance costs thanks to the backward baseball cap brigade. >>:-(

Regards  Ian.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2023, 12:31:08 pm »

Thought you may like this

https://youtu.be/N19jH5a7Ybk
Regards David

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2023, 12:43:50 am »

Where there's smoke there is fire?  O0

From the original and earlier video images, the fires on the vessel appeared to be ferocious, however for this video from T888 shows the vessel Bridge paintwork as still white with no evidence of burning or buckling on that upper inboard structural face %)

The thermal image from Baldrick in post #15 congers up the thought that the Bridge would have been near consumed....or maybe the photographer didn't have his thermal imaging equipment set correctly

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2023, 08:19:52 am »

Thought you may like this

https://youtu.be/N19jH5a7Ybk

If ever there was the WRONG selection of music for a video ..... THIS IT!!!  😆
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2023, 08:28:57 am »

If ever there was the WRONG selection of music for a video ..... THIS IT!!!  😆

What is wrong with it? Music with gravitas which I think fits the event...... but of course its title might be inappropriate if I knew what it was.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2023, 01:11:42 pm »

What is wrong with it? Music with gravitas which I think fits the event...... but of course its title might be inappropriate if I knew what it was.

Sounds very triumphal towards the end ......  celebratory ?!

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2023, 02:16:30 pm »

A more fitting tune would have been  The Prodigy's Firestarter.
Bintur Ellenbach

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2023, 03:20:54 pm »

I hadn't seen the music that way but getting it back afloat and with nobody injured was surely a triumph out of a disaster.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2023, 09:45:48 pm »

Although the ship was recovered to port I wonder if their's anything salvageable in the cargo after the fire smoke and water and the boat itself , can it be reclaimed or is everything scrap.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2023, 12:24:55 pm »

Although the ship was recovered to port I wonder if their's anything salvageable in the cargo after the fire smoke and water and the boat itself , can it be reclaimed or is everything scrap.

Yes, it would be interesting to see what could salvaged.... what the insurance claim is!

I hadn't seen the music that way but getting it back afloat and with nobody injured was surely a triumph out of a disaster.

Yes, fair enough! ..... but maybe The Last Post...!

A more fitting tune would have been  The Prodigy's Firestarter.

{-)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2023, 12:30:57 pm »

Thought they would have dragged the whole lot to India to beach and cut up.

Regards  Ian.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2023, 10:18:43 am »

I take it all back - one dead and several injured. Not a victory but a tragedy.

It appears that some of the vehicle might be OK.

https://nltimes.nl/2023/08/10/uncertain-fate-3700-cars-board-burnt-fremantle-highway-cargo-ship
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.