Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Esc issue?  (Read 822 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Esc issue?
« on: June 04, 2024, 04:25:51 pm »

Strange operating situation, two mtroniks esc running a single motor, red wire removed from one esc, left motor runs smooth through all stick movement. Right motor forward or astern is jerky then it somehow controls the left so both moving in same rotation, once stick is pushed fully forward all returns to normal, but if on the water the model would approaching ramming speed. Only thing I can think of is faulty esc?
Bob
I will finish this model

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: Esc issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 06:12:11 pm »

As of now, it passed a hundred views in a different section but no takers for a suggestion. It isn't weird to me. What is weird is the hazard in sharing a propulsion battery isn't universally understood by now. Electronize said to the effect: Don't do it!

So neither esc is faulty, as such. This brand is the canary in the coalmine because it isn't good at filtering out the noise on esc inputs caused by connecting the -ve anwhere but at the receiver, as Electronize put it.
Your remedy, among many others, is to use separate propulsion batteries or use this esc if you can't do that.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 07:29:21 pm »

Thanks for the reply, reason I said it weird it’s the only one of my boats that does this and all the others are set up the same. Will investigate further

Bob
I will finish this model

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 07:46:45 pm »

Thanks for the reply, reason I said it weird it’s the only one of my boats that does this and all the others are set up the same. Will investigate further

Bob
The only one?
I think this setup bit you on the bum before and Mtroniks were gracious enough to replace with no question asked. They supply a glitch buster which you should really use if you share a propulsion battery or use an external bec. It only takes a loosening of a negative connection and you loose one or both escs where the esc wires to receiver smoke.
 Ti's a pity Mark, the electronic engineer at G.E. is not always around because he could show on a voltage scope or just tweak the wiring to worsen or lessen the effect & ram the point home.

So use with the utmost caution. Keep wires to battery short and you are best soldering the esc negative battery wires together.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 08:00:19 pm »

No marks on bum  {-) {-)  but solved it I think, removed esc I think is at fault , ran it in its own singular set up and it runs as ropy as when installed on a boat. Tried another motor, same effect and finally connected external Rex pack still same. Why am I convinced, had spare esc same type wired it in and no issues. Tomorrow will be test as will try that in the boat

Bob
I will finish this model

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 08:15:33 pm »

Give it a bit more time and investigation and have a very good look at the connector of the "faulty" esc.

In addition to that.
Can you explain why this happened because it fits my explanation perfectly.
...Right motor forward or astern is jerky then it somehow controls the left so both moving in same rotation, once stick is pushed fully forward all returns to normal...
Bob
As well as looking at the connector, an electronic engineer familiar with RC circuitry would take a continuity measurement between the battery and receiver negatives of a removed esc. If it is high resistance the wiring setup has cuffed the esc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.