Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build  (Read 39850 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:10:59 pm »

Today I could not resist myself and decided to start the Boston Typhoon,  by Mountfleet Models.  The Kit costs £450  all in, and was an early Christmas present from SWMBO.

Here are some pictures of what you get in the box.  The fittings kit is the largest, and heaviest box you could wish for. It's not shown yet as I couldn't lift it off the floor by myself.  ;D

The ship is about Four and a half feet long and almost fills my bench.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BOSTON TYPHOON ........ my build
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:16:47 pm »

I have started on the fitting of the stringers to support the decks. This involves cutting and fitting 10 MM wood to the sides.

As the boat has bent a little out of square, I have made some brackets to clip along the top to pull it into shape, while I measure and cut the stringers.

Nothing is actually glued to the boat yet, as the glue on the wood is now drying. ( could be lots of rest time during this build !!)

Here are the frames set out for the night.

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 05:23:26 pm »

Looks great. Keep the updates coming. I am about to start a Tug by MMM, (When it arrives) so it will be interesting to swap note occasionally.

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:44:07 pm »

Thanks Barry

Which Tug have you gone for ?

I couldn't resist going out to the shed tonight and have a look at the glue drying.  ::)

It's unfortunately spread to the backing board, so it's a razor job in the morning to separate the frame off.  Ho Hum.  What do other people do here ?

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:51:49 pm »

I have ordered the hull and plan set for the 'Lady T'. Should be here later this week.

Try some grease proof paper to prevent the glue sticking to the board. his paper should just peel off when the glue has dried.

Barry

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:43 pm »

Ken, if you cannot lay your hands on some greaseproof paper, cling film laid out on the board.

Sometimes I use some 2" broad cellotape stuck down on to my building board and glue the bits that need to be jointed over the top of that.

Keep us well informed with this thread Ken, it does look a very interesting build.   Looking forward to seeing more of it.

O0 O0

aye
John e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:42:46 pm »

Good ideas there. Thank you very much.

Isn't it weird ... you can't think of everything at once.  I was so concentrated on construction that the simple things eluded me.  Ho Hum.  More trouble to come ....

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:08:29 pm »

Well, I dug the wood off the board reasonably well, but found it didn't stick very well. All the 'T' joints were weak and parts kept breaking off. The wood itself was very thin and would not take bowing to the curve required inside the hull from front to back. ( The deck is desiged to curve towards the Bow).

I have scrapped this idea now and moved  on to my usual supports. These are 'U' shaped plastic ( from the local store) . These I have cut to size and epoxied in tonight.  (see pics 9 & 10 ).

I spent the last week fitting the wonderful rudder and Propeller section. I must say it's a work of art in itself. A little bit of filing and it all slotted together great.  It's just glued in at the moment and will require filling around the edges to make it nice and smooth.

The Bilge keels were quite difficult. The fitting shape was in three dimensions, so a lot of filing to mate it up nicely.  (see pic 11)

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »

Kenny why don't you phone my friend who built one you have his tell no,or have you lost it if so check your pm box

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:56:30 am »

Thank you Stavros. I certainly need help. It's a very interesting build.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:28:15 pm »

Gosh it's  ffffreezing in the workshop. Only managed 7 hours today before my fingers 'went off'

The frames have dried and the inside hull is covered in Epoxy. I have cut the first deck surfaces and slotted them in temporary, to get the effect

The steering servo frame is fitted, but not linked in yet. The battery compartment is secured along with a floor for the motor mounts.

Been working on the curved Bow deck and have it drying overnight. There is a little room built into the front wall of the Bow deck with doors that don't go anywhere. Thought I might put some lights in here that will shine out through the portholes.

I have run out of epoxy at the moment and wondered for a cheaper source than the little bottles from the model shop.  The hull is covered with 'proper' boat epoxy which takes nine hours to go off, and is not suitable for attaching anything.

Here are some of the latest Pics.

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 06:28:37 pm »

Ken,

Still not recieved my Lady T from MMM, but thats the Spanish potsal service for you. Anyway I am enjoying looking and learning from your posts. The early stages are so critical. Keep em coming amigo..

Barry

PS ...All the very best for the festive season to you and yours.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:05:38 am »

Thanks Barry and a Merry Christmas to you too.

You've probably noticed that I tend to over-engineer my constructions. My 'ol Dad' used to say, "if you can't park a lorry on it, then it's not strong enough   ;D".

I find these boat structures sometimes a little weak so, tend to put a bit of bracing on as well. This latest boat seem to be everything above deck, so I thought I'd get the deck as best as possible, then I can concentrate on the mass of fittings to go on top.

I'm really looking forward to the main winch. I can hardly lift the bag of castings  :D.  This will be something to make in the warmth of the house while listening to the Xmas carols.

All the best

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 11:51:33 am »

Ken,

Your Dad was a very Wise man.

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 09:53:39 pm »

Ken not being funny here but check your deck as it does not look very cambered to me and I think it should be

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

Hi Stavros.   Merry Christmas to you and yours.

The deck doesn't look cambered does it ??. It's not secured down yet, and there does appear to be a bow if you push it down in the middle with the curved cabin assembly.  I'm holding off gluing it as the motor and electrics have to be fitted first.

I have enlarged the photo's you've sent me, and they are hung up for reference. ( so much detail is missing from the instruction book  ::),  these are really helpful   8)  )

Going to attempt the front mast today, as the Well deck is ready for fitting.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 12:26:55 pm »

Had an enforced weeks break.  I manage to slice my index finger through the nail and finger top, again !!!  I have the bits selotaped for posterity.

Really must stop doing this ....  I have found the ideal cutting guide fro 'Focus' DIY store. It costs £5.

Working on someones suggestion on a plasterer's trowel, I found this gadget.  Seeems ideal for running the 'ol' knife down the plastic.

I've also modified the mast desaign to run to the keel, as a stronger fitting, so needing a longer bit I bought the 12mm timber from the store as well.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 07:46:08 pm »

Today I started the main winch. It really is a nice design and worthy of standing alone.

There were loads of parts, all of which I fettled to nice edges and a good fit. I then made the base and glued the frame to it. Then I had a dry run with the assembly and cut all the bars to suit and have a few pictures of the results.  The plan is to paint as I go, to save splashing other parts, then I can glue the bits together and it should look tidy.

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 08:42:38 am »

Kenny,
Its coming along nicely and that main winch looks a great piece of kit with high quality parts. Check out my thread on "Lady T". She finally arrived and has been started. It is good to compare notes so to speak,

Barry

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 11:27:32 am »

Hi Ken, that winch is a fantastic model in its own right...................Keep up the good work and I will be over yours again soon to check how she is progressing..

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 11:31:11 am »

Hi Barry

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I'm there with you on your build. Very interesting. I'm watching and learning, but don't feel qualified to comment on someone else's work.

It's great to get your teeth into something so challenging as boats, isn't it ?. How is your instruction manual ? Mine is so basic as to deny belief. Every route is one of research and figuring out. I'm getting the hang of it now, after all the practice I've had. You wouldn't believe the money I've spent on products and spare parts. I've also gone the route of power tools, as I do like a straight line.  ;D    I could probably build a scratch build just with the bits alone.

I run my workshop like my previous business stores !!  All parts categorised and boxed ready for use.

Today is paint time for the crane, and while that's drying, I shall have a go a tapering the mast. (with a lathe !)

Mark.  Come on over for your Xmas pressie.

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 03:25:38 pm »

Ken,

Instruction manual?  It doesn't have one. Just a hull, plan and a few bits of wood. Still with your plan of research before actually doing anything I am sure you won't go far wrong and there are plenty of experts on the forum to help out.

Tip for the mast tapering. Break a milk bottle and use the neck end on the masting. Simply draw a sharp bit of the bottle along the length of the mast. Keep drawing it backwards and forwards whilst twisting the mast in your hand, till you have the desired taper. It works a treat and after a little sanding looks great.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 03:44:17 pm »

Hey, that's a great idea.  Two foot of thin timber don't half wobble about at speed.  :embarrassed:

I've come back in the house, as it's too cold out there.

Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 04:17:44 pm »

Ken,

It really does work too.

Coldin my workroom too, even though I am down here in Sunny Spain. Now the sun has gone down the temperature in there is down to about 10m degrees. Too cool to do any work......Any way the rd wine is good in here.

Barry

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »

I tapered the mast on Sally-Anne by clamping the bottom of the mast in the chuck of the battery drill and using sandpaper clutched in my hand - took me about 15 minutes to get the right taper. If you use different grades of paper you get a nice finish on the mast ready for varnish/paint.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.