Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: smoke genorators  (Read 7258 times)

dan

smoke genorators
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:56:14 pm »

hi everyone,
can someone please show me a diagram and explane how to set up a working smoke genorator.
many thanks
Dan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: smoke genorators
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:47:54 pm »

We usually buy ready made smoke generators - Action Electronic, Hunter systems, Graupner, Robbe (heated coil types) or the Ex JJC Water vapor unit.... which one do you have?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dan

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »

i don't have any at the mo, i was just doing some research as it would have been the first time Ive added any extra features in my models. so i need to know what i will need and how to set them up etc,

thanks

adam_goodin

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:04:41 pm »

Hi guys, sorry to interrupt your thread. Does anyoe still hav any of the jjc units?

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:31:47 pm »

I am a cheapskate, so I make my own smoke generators.  Hannah has one fitted in her destroyer and it looks effective and they only cost a few pounds....

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »

Hi guys, sorry to interrupt your thread. Does anyoe still hav any of the jjc units?

I REALLY don't understand why anyone would want to buy a product which was material in closing down a business because of quality issues. Have I missed something here - Russian Roulette, maybe? If I had a quid for every phone call I've received about the range of JJC units and their attendant problems then I'd be cruising in the West Indies now.

FYI I gather that Harbor Models of California are about to introduce a unit which is similar to ***, save that it's oil-based and costs $100. There is also a German company who offer a similar unit for 120 Euros..............and no; we've  no intention of developing one.

Suit yourselves.

FLJ

adam_goodin

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:46:20 pm »

I was just asking since ive seen them mentioned a fare bit.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 08:49:58 pm »

Has anyone considered using cigarettes....? (especially if you've built a puffer!)

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:57 pm »

Hi Dan, here goes......
All you need is a small reservoir, a small computer chip cooling fan, some NI-Chrome wire (heating element out of an old hair dryer will do), a  short length of dowel or similar, a small piece of WOVEN fibreglass cloth, 12 volt battery, disco fog fluid (available from Maplins), plastic or copper tubing for the flue to the funnel and a couple of screw block connectors.

To work out the length of the Ni-CH wire needs a bit of trial and error to get right, you need the wire long enough for the fog fluid to burn off but not get red hot.
Next, wrap the glass cloth around the dowel to act as a wick and spiral the Ni-CH wire around that making sure the wire doesn't overlap. Use the choc. block connectors to connect the power feed wires to the Ni-Ch wire (solder doesn't work for some reason) and place dowel at an angle in the reservoir with the wick in the fluid but not the element. Secure the computer chip fan to the reservoir. Fill  the reservoir with fluid up to the bottom of the element and connect up the power and switch on.
I have done a schematic drawing to try to explain how I did it, it's easier than it looks.

dan

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:57:09 pm »

thanks for the help every1
 O0

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »

just popped on this topic after buying a ultrasonic humidifyer (getteng a problem with the heating ,too dry) ,now this thing kicks out loads of water vapour and as a thought could one be made for 12/24v to work on a steam boat or the like .
just an idea .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 03:34:20 pm »

just popped on this topic after buying a ultrasonic humidifyer (getteng a problem with the heating ,too dry) ,now this thing kicks out loads of water vapour and as a thought could one be made for 12/24v to work on a steam boat or the like .
just an idea .
I think that's pretty much the idea that JJC had a few years ago.  It seems that there are inherent problems with consistent reliability.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

offshore1987

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 06:43:50 pm »

Iv got a hunter and a jjc now, id say the hunter is great it works well kicks out alot of smoke but it smels abit  :D and this is the problem with all oil units, the jjc is also great imo and you can run it in doors with out the wife stabin you lol  O0

All the best with finding one

P.s the hunter one dos get alittle hot though so you will need to think about where you put it  :)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:02 pm »

Most oil based smokers can have a few drops of aromatherapy oil added.  You might get some funny looks at the lakeside, and a whole new bunch of friends.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dan

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:35:50 pm »

thanks for all the help guys.
however i how have a smoke generator, but when it runs it makes a crackly noise, and sounds like its spitting a little bit of the fluid should this be happening?

dan

Big Ada

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 05:34:44 pm »

Hi Dan,
If you are burning oil maybe a little water or condensation has got in?.

Just bought the fogging liquid and a fan from Maplins,can't wait to get started on the DIY version!,what I thought I might do is fit a micro switch linked to the rudder at its furthest throw so that I can turn on the smoke at will.

Len.

Big Ada

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 05:40:10 pm »

Hi Mustang Mark,
If I keep the Element wire short could I use 6volts?
Also,I have bought a Fan from Maplins and it has Red,Black,Yellow wires,do I use the Yellow?.

Len

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »

Hi Len, I tried it on 6 volts with a shorter length of wire, it did work but not as well as it does on 12. The red and black wires are the ones to use on the fan.

Mark.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 10:22:10 am »

Hi Mustang Mark,
If I keep the Element wire short could I use 6volts?
Also,I have bought a Fan from Maplins and it has Red,Black,Yellow wires,do I use the Yellow?.

Len

I suspect the yellow wire is a signal wire of some sort if it is a computer fan. Try just using the red and black. If it is a computer fan, its probably designed to run on 5volts.

Barrie

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 05:23:08 pm »

The yellow wire is the speed sensor used to detect fan failure
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Big Ada

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 05:40:33 pm »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your answers,The fan says it's 12v

Big Ada

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

Hi Guys,
Just made a smoke genorator from the plan above worked 1st time,well 2nd actually as the fan sucked instead of blew!.
If I want darker smoke, can I dye it with food dye?. I got the smoke liquid from Maplins.

Regards.

Len    O0

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 06:14:06 pm »

Dunno never tried it why not give it a go and see what happens :D :D :D Glad you got it working personally i think it chucks out just the right amount of smoke, the commercial units seem to produce too much smoke in my opinion, like a destroyer smokescreen!!

Mark.

PIT

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »

Hi everyone  Just thought I'd put my two peneth in, I got some pond vaporisers from Maplins. Run them on 24v and use a fan to blow mist up funnels. batteries last hours smoke very realistic even if it is water vapour. Several members of Barry model boat club have done the same. reliable and effective. When on offer have done it for as little as £6. all the best PIT

kit1947

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:12 pm »

Gooday Pit have seen those vapourisers at Maplins and was wondering about them. Can you give some idea how to set them up in a hull. Do they only work on 24v ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.