Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spektrum DX6i  (Read 7813 times)

Andy K

• Full Mayhemer
spektrum DX6i
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »

I have just purchased a Spektrum DX6i, what a piece of kit.
The only problem is that there is no auto centre spring mechanism for the throttle stick (3).
In my Hi-tec optic 6 the spring mechanism was fitted but disabled but in the DX6i the parts are missing.
Can anyone assist in where to purchase or obtain these parts from. I run a large twin motor tug for towing, it is easier if the sticks self centre. I have contacted Horizon Hobby UK and Spektrum USA by email to ask if these parts will be available but as of yet I have had no replies.
Any ideas.
Thanks
Andy

Stavros

Re: spektrum DX6i
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:29:01 pm »

Try where you bought it failing that try Red bank models,A model world Scale hobbies, addresses in Traders directory

Syavros

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 06:25:34 pm »

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:13 pm »

Copied from the Rc Groups web site

I asked Spektrum if I could get this unit with BOTH sticks self centering. Here is their response:

Les,

Hello and thank you for your question. Yes we can modify the sticks
on the DX6 radio to have both centering. There is no charge for doing
this, all you have to do is ask when you are ordering to have the radio
sent to service for modification. Hope this helps, and have a great day.

Thank you,
Dennis Davenport
Horizon Hobby Consumer Sales
800-338-4639

Stavros

Andy K

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:03:50 am »

Thanks to one and all for your assistance and suggestions.
I went back to where i bought the DX6i at The Model Shop in Leeds and spoke to Martin Sherwood. I explained the situation and he immediately telephoned Horizon UK. 2 Days later the required parts arrived at the Model Shop free of charge from Horizon. I now have 2 self centring sticks to use as throttles on my Eldergarth Tug.
Once again thanks to everyone.
Andy

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:01:30 am »

Well Dang, two just arrived here also...
I guess I will hang onto them in case any one I know needs them.

;)

Billyruffian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:05 am »

A bit late on this thread - sorry.

I am just considering changing to the DXi and have a couple of questions to ask:-

What receiver do you use - the 6200 dual receiver or the single 6100 which seems more suitable for simple boating needs.

Do you find the TX battery life OK as I have heard it is not so good.

IainM

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 03:17:31 pm »

I have had one since early last year using the 6100 receiver and I have had no problems.  Perhaps the range is limited, but I see no point in being able to control something I can't see and, so far at least I've never had it run out on me.

After the firstcouple of outings I bought a NiMH battery pack to replace the one that came with the set (3200mAH if I recollect) and this gives me an afternoons sailing.  However I did find that you can only get a full charge through the charge socket by limiting the charge current to around 700mA.  (I use the ProPeak charger, not the one that came with the set)

I do like it ....... it's a great piece of kit  O0

Iain

Billyruffian

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 04:09:09 pm »

Thanks Iain,

I will only be using it in my IOM and scale boats so I assume the range is OK to get me around the IOM course?

Thanks for your help.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:05:28 pm »

Question (no, not a trick one!)
What operates Channels 5 and 6 on this set e.g. rotary knobs, centre-biased 3-way switches or just 2-way ("ON/OFF") switches? I ask because a number of my customers have fallen foul of buying another well-known brand of microwave radio and finding that Channels 5 and 6 aren't much use for operating auxiliary functions like cranes, rotating gun-turrets and the like.
FLJ

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 08:02:44 pm »

Hi FLJ,

If its the same as my DX6 then channels 5 & 6 are just two way switches with NO centre off.  Ok for operating 1 microswitch from a servo.  A hooter function would be a good example.  I use channel 5 to switch on the power to the crane on my Vliestroom.

FC.

IainM

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »

Hi BR,
An IOM course will be no problem.  Thats one of the things I do with mine.

Maybe get an idea of the length of our pond from this which shows around half the actual length......  (Inverleith Pond, Edinburgh)
Just measured it at 150 metres diagonal
Iain

Proteus

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:00:04 pm »

this makes interesting reading , it's not the first time I have seen this from a US shop.  Fredy

http://www.3dxhobbies.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

OMK

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:54:20 am »

Hands up all those who detects FLJ's ever-so-slight hint of "Hrmpff!" whenever he talks Spektrum.
Mr. Jacquet, may I interrupt this thread to remind you that I myself own one of them super-swanky-bestest-thing-since-Kraft Spekkies. I love the little "xxxxx" -- especially the fact the antenna is tiny.... tiny.
But you're right - Specktrum crapped-out when it came to those non-proportional channels. The best the DX7 can muster is a 3-way toggle sprouting from the top. I would have gone another well-known brand route, only I hate the way they stuck that plastic handle there. The nearest rival to the DX7 is miles superior in lots of ways. For instance, a decent radio would employ slinky connectors throughout all the internal wiring (it's at this juncture that you're supposed to cough and say Futaba at the same time, only do it in a way that is nice and subtle and without being accused of name dropping). When you see Molex connectors, instead of loads of wires just soldered to a pcb pad....... means nice.... quality.

Anyway, for anyone who has a real desire to quit poking people's eyes out with a metre-long antenna, then 2.4GHz is a dream come true. Spektrum Vs Futaba Vs all the other top-name radios isn't the real issue. The real issue is that of proportional channels Vs straight on/off channels. The DX7 is a real dilly of a radio. But I'd be plenty more impressed if all seven channels were proportional.

Keep your hands up if you think a certain leather-clad Action man ought to be bending the ear of a certain hat-cladded dude (evening, Mr. Wom') to get cracking on a proper radio.

Andy K

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 08:01:33 am »

With regard to the powering of the DX6i.
The Transmitter comes with 4 AA alkaline batteries, not a battery pack. There is a charging socket so if you can recharge your batteries with out removing them. You have to check the manual for the polarity and spec of the charger.
I have had my DX6i for about a month and used it for approx 12 hours of sailing and the original supplied batteries are still installed. They are still showing 5.6v - the battery alarm activates at 4.3v.
The DX6i does not eat battery power as some of the other transmitters seem to do.

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 08:07:38 am »

Keep your hands up if you think a certain leather-clad Action man ought to be bending the ear of a certain hat-cladded dude (evening, Mr. Wom') to get cracking on a proper radio.

PMK.

No no........Not till he has the P94 twin esc's and mixer sorted out......After that he is all yours... O0

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 08:56:59 am »

The Arch Dude is a bit right and a bit wrong here.

I've no in-built objection to 2.4GB radios at all, whatever name appears on the tin. I do think, however, that R/C manufacturers ought to provide a bit more in the way of flexibility. OK - so they can sell a hundred aeroplane sets for every boat set but why, for example, do they restrict what are actually two kosher propo channels to two-wire switched inputs? Don't they know that tugs don't have retract gear or flaps? If they'd just add the third "pot wiper" connection so that a switched channel could readily be converted into a propo channel (by their service agents  ;)) then I wonder how much extra it would have cost? They all do it - Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Hitech...you name it. I know Futaba make the special F14/16/18 sets, but when you see the price of the modules for the additional channels it makes your eyes water.

I am under orders from Mrs Wom to leave Techno Tim alone while he gets on with Grimy Rita, but I know there are deep thoughts about controlling extra channels going on under that amazing hat.

Barry - if I give you the phone number of the firm which is manufacturing the heat-sinks for P94 could you pester them for me? 'Tis all for which we are waiting, and you couldn't be any higher on the waiting list than you already are!

FLJ

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 03:41:31 am »

The Spektrum DX7 is supposed to have optional programming for the flaps and possibly the gear switch so that they can be run proportional.  I've seen the instructions, and can verify the Flaps to proportional programming. I just don't recall if the Gear could also be programmed.

:-\

OMK

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:28 pm »

Hi, Umi. The DX7 does indeed have programming for flaps, but it's not proportional. Instead, Spektrum have employed a 3-way toggle. It works okay, but some of us would sooner have a rotary control there. Another thing, once the 3-way toggle has been assigned to a certain function (e.g: flaps), means you can no longer use it for anything else. And although Spektrum have included a whole host of switches, it is not possible to assign ALL of them to a function -- you only have the option of using just two or three.
Channel 5 is the usual gear channel -- operated by a standard on/off toggle.

I'm offering my DX7 to a good home - free. The details to follow in a forthcoming thread.

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 10:37:45 pm »

PMK pm

stavros

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »

PMK.

No no........Not till he has the P94 twin esc's and mixer sorted out......After that he is all yours... O0

Hey, hey, hey - my bit of the P94 was finished ages ago. As for controlling accessory channels watch this space!!

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.