Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Chichester Canal Endurance event  (Read 32533 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chichester Canal Endurance event
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »

I also 'volunteered' the team members to restore a 48" model narrow boat, I am so good....

are you sure it's only 48 inches, and NOT 48 FOOT............you will be popular, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:05 pm »

just a shame our bantam tug hasnt been finished  quite yet , it would look good in company of a narrow boat ! jon

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2012, 12:42:41 am »

you just can not say no can you  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< :kiss: :kiss:

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2012, 09:29:28 am »

you just can not say no can you  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< :kiss: :kiss:

We all need to improve our modelling skills, in your case, painting flowers on buckets seems to be your weakest area of expertise.... :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »

a big thank you to all modellers who came this afternoon , even though my own boat didnt make it onto the water it was an enjoyable afternoon ! jon

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »

Agreed. :-))

Good event, great weather and brilliant venue. O0

Yarpie.

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2012, 11:28:31 am »

a nice and relaxing day was had by all , with 9 boats going up the canal with one boat having to return back near the start, then having to go back with my boat with a problem a few minutes later. with a not so quick fix i was on my way again , on a late warm summer day there is no better way to spend sailing a model boat then walking down the canal. i believe i got about half way when i met yarpie coming back on low power, so to make sure he got home i turned round and headed back with him. did not do the hole trip but half way is still good will have to do this again next year   

with any luck unbuilt and some others will post their pics of the day in the next few days   

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »

some nice looking models thwere lads.......well done.
neil.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2012, 06:35:14 pm »

.....i believe i got about half way when i met yarpie coming back on low power, so to make sure he got home i turned round and headed back with him. did not do the hole trip but half way is still good will have to do this again next year    

Yes Bat44, thanks for your companionship on the last leg. %)  I only used the one battery for the round trip, and by halfway on the return leg, with power running low, I was desperately looking for landmarks to find out how far to go.

With Bat44 standing by it was a relief to reach the basin unaided and still have enough wiggly amps to steer the battleship safely alongside (ably done by a youngster who, with his Dad had stayed around all day supporting us). :-)) The kid couldn't have damaged HMS RODNEY (the lower of the two in the image) as she only was carrying enough speed for steerage. %)

It must be added here that everybody looked after each other, particularly when the dreaded weed wound round the propellers. We even lost one propeller off one of the square riggers. :o  But they weren't fitted with them anyway, so she ended her journey as a proper sailing ship.

Great espirit de corps on the day.

Yarpie.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:33 pm »

Some images from a great day playing boats..

Jon with his yacht preparing for the trip in the first photo, the second showing Phil and Graham preparing HMS Ajax, while our rescue boat can just be seen behind them.
Photos three and four show the fleet departing the basin and preparing for the long haul. ( HMS Dolphin going in the wrong direction is mostly down to yours truly, having to put down the controls to take the photo. It did this a lot :D

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »

Our first major land mark ( after the swing bridge ) was the A27 bridge, about 400 yards into the trip. The first photo shows HMS Ajax passing under the bridge, with Robs LCM3 Landing Craft, loaded down with spare batteries and Sandys' HMS Rodney still in sunlight.
Photo two shows Phil and son in the rescue boat and Johns Privateer Jessica Marie still to reach the bridge.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »

Three of the models again, HMS Ajax, HMS Dolphin and the LCM 3 Landing Craft. Unfortunately by now, Jons yacht had been forced to drop out and Marks Springer Tug had suffered a meltdown and was returned to the jetty for repairs.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2012, 06:12:20 pm »

Always remember there are other users of the canal. Canoeists were a regular sight on the trip, as were the two tour boats, which we had to make way for at all times.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2012, 06:20:07 pm »

The canal is over two miles long in total, at present. With plans in the future to extend it down to Chichester harbour. We were navigating the first mile and a half to Hunston Bridge, then turning back. Giving us a three mile trip. Not epic compared to some endurance events in the past, but we would be leaving our home base behind, and would need to take any bits deemed neccessary to complete the trip, with us.

The first mile of the canal was a winding, meandering  route surrounded by trees, while the last half mile, past the barge, was more or less straight, and opened out to fields.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »

When we reached the straight part of the canal, the wind came up for about ten minutes, this caused us problems with the sailing ships. We had been running for well over an hour by now and some of our batteries were getting near the end of their charge. This coupled with carrying full sail caused me trouble, as well as Andy with the USS Chesapeake. Dolphin has extra hooks in all the right places to allow me to reduce sail. Its not pretty but it got me out of trouble. Sandy was struggling with the Rodney, not due to battery or ( directly ) wind problems, but due to waiting for us slower sailing ships. Whenever he stopped, the wind would blow him broadside on to the canal, from which he struggled to get the 9' model back on course. We suggested he should punch on without us, which he did.
The last photo shows HMS Dolphin reefed, sort of, and HMS Ajax reefed, as usual!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2012, 06:32:06 pm »

As the half way point started to come into view, we saw HMS Rodney on her way back.

Sandys' HMS Rodney heading back, past Phil in the rescue boat, and with Chichester Cathedral in the background. Somebody told him there was a prize I think ok2

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »

Last boat to the half way point was Jessica Marie, with a view of the cathedral in the background.

As we reached Hunston Bridge, we came alongside for a ten minute rest break, so John could offer his sausage rolls to everyone else but me, and  shower my radio control with Coca Cola :-))

Graham and Phil went under the bridge, while the rest of us were grateful for the sit down for ten minutes!
The imminent arrival of one of the tour boats was the only excuse needed to wait a few more minutes before setting off back to the basin.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »

Heading back, we looked a motley crew {-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »

Then the problems started. Andy was starting to loose power on the Chesapeake, having not needed to carry out a battery change yet, his model was starting to slow down. My helpful offer to tow him back with the Dolphin was declined.
Jessica Marie then lost all power and was recovered to the bank by Phil for further examination.

Jessica Marie had lost her prop on some floating debris. I had a spare plastic prop in my utility belt. This was offered up and turned out to be too big to fit in the gap, so I trimmed it down with some side cutters to fit the hole. It was then we realised my prop was M4, his shaft was M5, does anybody want a poorly trimmed plastic prop?
There was only one course of action available to us..... :-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »

The Ajax was now way ahead of us and out of sight, mostly thanks to Grahams big 17amp battery. We were pootling along on 12v 7amp cells and they were getting tired. My helpful offer to tow back Chesapeake with the Dolphin was taken up and I could use my towline at last, Yay!!!

The rest of the run back was fairly uneventful, we had very little left to break down...

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »

Really good images U-b-n, and good commentary as well. (Isn't it always). ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post them, they lend credence to the reports. :-))

Yarpie.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

as such an enjoyable day was had by all , im now looking into carrying out the challenge TWICE  next year , one early in the season with a second event towards the end of the boating calender ! whos up for it ? ? jon

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03:41 pm »

I should imagine that all of the inaugural adventurers would Jon. O0

They have all, by now, cunning plans for the next event, and standby batteries as well. {-)

You arrange the weather ................................... we'll do the rest. ok2

Any feedback from the Canal Trust by the way?

Yarpie.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2012, 07:07:00 pm »

Following an incident at the basin entrance, where the almost flat HMS Dolphin, tied to the totally flat USS Chesapeake nearly got run down by the big tour boat ( only averted by the skills of the two operators, which combined, would have made a chimp proud to be a primate :} ), we arrived back at the basin. Last in was Chesapeake tied to the Dolphin. First back was Sandy with HMS Rodney. It took about three hours, departing at 2:45pm and arriving back just before 6pm. It was a lot harder to do than we expected, mostly down to our beliefs that our models had far greater endurance than it turned out. The sailing ships are all equipped with car heater/blower motors and run on twelve volts. We mostly managed half the trip on a single battery, running for about 90 minutes before going flat.
It wasn't much of a race as everybody clumped together to provide mutual support, and I think it was a better event for it.
So, thanks to Dan and Jon and Linda at the Trust for organising this event. I have to say it was the most fun I have had this year with a model boat, cheers guys and heres to the next one.... :-))

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »

excellent pics of excellent models and a great comentary there and it really looked fun
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.