Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future Liner?!  (Read 10134 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Future Liner?!
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »

If model liners behave like this, how safe are full size cruise liners in any kind of seaway ?

You can't really make comparisons because of scaling effects. If a model liner was truly to scale you would be making the upperworks paper thin for example. Plus of course the windage on a model is proportionately much greater that on a full size vessel. That's why model sailing ships also need disproportionately heavy keels to carry scale looking sailplans.

When you scale down, the volume decreases by the cube root while the area decreases only by the square root.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 11:24:16 pm »

Much as Colin said, but the scale effect of wind speed is proportional to the square root of the scale because of the area effect mentioned, so yachts, liners and aircraft carriers all have the same problem.
Of course, on a model liner, you don't have to install all of the upper deck interior works.  But some will try, and will learn of "loll". 
For the real future liner, anybody remember what I recall as the opening page of an early "Lion" comic?  It involved what looked to be a low flying ocean liner (mid '50's, airliners not yet that practical) meeting a sticky end, flying lifeboats hither and yon, and I can't remember the name of the hero Captain even for cake, but the arch villain was "The Dictator".  Looked a lot like my last primary school teacher.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Future Liner
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 05:11:49 am »

This topic popped up on Facebook again....  I wonder where the model is now?

Hello all,

This model is called 'Dolomedes' - the water spider. It was built by one of our best and very experienced modellers in our ship model club. It was designed and built all by himself over many years. It is built using wooden planks has a lot of electronics in it for prop control lights and in its latest state even with a small helicopter landing deck from which the taking of of the helicopter is simulated.

While our main club site (http://www.askweb.ch) is currently down due to a technical problem you may want to have a look at our video page. In the second part of the following movie you can see the Dolomedes sailing: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetoFor#p/u/10/reKF-XrW66o

Enjoy the other videos in our channel on YouTube too: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetoFor

Regards,

Freighter130

10p to the first person to find a modern version of this model here on Mayhem... I know it's on here somewhere!
   >:-o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 01:44:55 pm »

Found another video!  -  https://youtu.be/JTOA2XJhGqE?t=40

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 02:00:51 pm »

Hey Martin....that Video also features our Danielle [missyd] with her Trawler  :-))  ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.