Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: K class steam submarines  (Read 13235 times)

raflaunches

Re: K class steam submarines
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »

Hi Bobk

The intention at the moment to built a water tight section similar to your caswell dive unit in the centre of the hull and have the outer sections open to water.  So if I wanted to adapt the model to a dive able condition I could change the internal layout to suit a static diver.
I am being a bit of a cheap scate at the moment because I am saving up to restore my old MG ZA Magnette so once the money has been saved I will adapt the hull to become a proper sub!
The centre section will be made removable with a clear plastic sheet to act as a seal to the watertight compartment with all the relevant shafts and servo arms going to the hydroplanes, rudder and drive shafts built in place so when the time comes I just attach them up, fingers crossed :-)).

Hope the M class hull turns out okay for you subculture.

Nick B

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 07:42:25 pm »

It's Albion who is building the M class, Nick.

raflaunches

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:01 pm »

Apologies, not reading the posts properly again  %%
Albion, hope your m class turns out okay.

I think I got the right person this time, thanks for pointing that out for me subculture!

Regards

Nick B

bobk

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 08:04:53 pm »

Sounds interesting Nick, I very much look forward to seeing how she progresses.  Although I have to say the Caswell Sub Diver unit is good value, and for me reduces some of the higher risk aspects - hopefully  8) 

You Albion and I are going to have to get these boats together one day.  Anywhere but May Island of course  %%

Albion

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:59 am »

You Albion and I are going to have to get these boats together one day.  Anywhere but May Island of course  %%
that would be good, in the M class reference book i have there's shot showing an M class with a bunch of K's :)

Albion

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 12:57:42 pm »

Anyone got photos showing the sail , especially inside the cockpit area

raflaunches

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 04:45:07 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have fitted the prop shafts, level this time  :embarrassed: , the fore and aft hydroplane support tubes, and the rudder post.
I was going to build the 'skeg' but I remembered just in time to fit the rudder post before doing so, the prop shafts have been fibreglassed and blended in to the hull.  I have been looking at the pictures of the class and realised that the propeller 'A' bracket is built in to the skeg too so a re-plan is required before construction commences.
The entire hull has been sanded down and holes filled to remove any blemishes ready for the detail work, i.e the torpedo doors and anchor hawsers, etc.

Try to get the rest of the pictures loaded up soon, the software for uploading them is having a hissy fit at the moment

Nick B

raflaunches

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 05:06:51 pm »

Hi everyone,

It appears to be simple turn off and back on again job with the computer  ok2, I think though, that it was the threatening behavior I made towards the computer that made it work  <*<, airframe riggers with hammers and all that :D

Here are the pictures promised...

Regards

Nick B

raflaunches

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »

Albion,

Is this what you need?

Thanks to Bobk for the pictures he sent me a few weeks back, hope this helps.

Nick B

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »

I think Albion is after some M-class shots (that what he is building).

raflaunches

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »

Albion

Second time lucky are these any help?

Regards

Nick B

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:53 pm »

Might be worth contacting Periscope Publishing. This was started by Innes McCartney who discovered the wreck of the M1, so he may be able to help with additional reference, and probably knows most if not all the reference material that is out there for this boat.

http://www.periscopepublishing.com/

bobk

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:08 pm »

Albion:  I have an M1 gun barrel, resin cast, supplied by Caswell with the diving planes and rudder for my K.  I would be happy to post it to you if you could PM me your details.  I have warm memories of my visit to Singapore, so unique.

Albion

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 03:28:17 am »

Albion:  I have an M1 gun barrel, resin cast, supplied by Caswell with the diving planes and rudder for my K.  I would be happy to post it to you if you could PM me your details.  I have warm memories of my visit to Singapore, so unique.
i have same package as you, so have a gun already

thanks for the M photos, im working on the drawings and comparing to photos, and there seems to have been some varying designs to the cockpit area. i m not being too "xxxxx" about it but dont want to build it and find i have a complete miss match. i even suspect that the museum model may have some artistic licence to it!

raflaunches

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

Hi everyone

As Subculture recommended I recently purchased a copy of British Submarines 1901-1955 by P Ackerman.  I was a bit dubious first after reading some of the reviews about the book on amazon.  However where the contents page and index page are much to be desired, the content of the book is excellent, more info was found in here than searching through internet! (Ok I exaggerate but its that interesting).
Whilst there are few pictures, maybe one of each class, the extra info regarding the Submarine Depot ships is worth putting up with reading text that looks like a typewriter has written it!  Particularly the info about the first HMS Adamant of WW1 vintage, I bought the plans last year from NMM for the Adamant because of one picture I found in a book and now I have some info about her movements and why she was built. :-))
The book costs approx £35.99 but it is worth it, it has over 550 pages and some very good side profiles of the subs all in a constant scale so you can gauge the sizes of the vessels.
Tonight I will be cutting out the torpedo doors for my K class and a few other hull details before making the rudder/prop support bracket 'skeg' thingy wosit!
Regards

Nick B

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »

I don't recall recommending any book specifically. I do know that book can be previewed extensively on google books for free.

raflaunches

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »

Hi Subculture

I meant to say that the website periscope publishing you recommended is where I found the book an Encyclopedia of British Submarines 1901 to 1955.  Sorry for any confusion.
Regards

Nick B

Davy1

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:37 am »

Hi Nick,

Have you seen this bit of film footage? I was amazed to come across it. You will have to look through the whole thing and I think there is even an R class lurking there somewhere!

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t254-between-the-wars-m1-k-class-r-class-h-class?highlight=M+CLASS

David

Davy1

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:00 am »

Sorry Nick a direct link for you.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/naval-material-reel-5

(I didn't realise that you needed to register on the AMS forum for links to work!)

David

raflaunches

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »

Hi David

Thanks for the link, I will be watching it on Friday because my iPad won't run British pathe videos, or to that fact not many videos at all to be honest! Any thing about k boats is interesting especially actual footage.
Thank you.

Regards

Nick B

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:05 pm »

Here's a clip of a K-class doing a rate of knots, although only one boiler lit if the single smoking funnel is anything to go by- http://www.britishpathe.com/video/submarine-disaster/

Looks like that sailor was lucky not to get washed overboard!

Another one-

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/k-class-submarine

And another, this one could easily be missed, but shows some good close-ups of K9 in dry dock, and the funnels folding-

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/japanese-naval-delegates

bobk

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »

Now that last clip is a Star Gem !   I will shortly be restarting my long delayed K9, and that video showed detail in better clarity then other clips I have downloaded.   Thank you Subculture:   :-))

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:46 am »

There's all sorts of stuff on that site. Just type in 'submarine' on the search box and up pops several pages worth. Some nice clips of the later x-craft, our early nuke boats, even a brief clip of what looks like Holland SS1- the U.S boat not the British Holland 1- unfortunately it was out of the water.

bobk

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »

With HMS Amazon having moved off the main slipway ready for initial sea trials tomorrow K9 is now set up ready for construction to recommence.  It has been on hold since October, partly whilst trying to solve some basic sub specific technical problems, and also to gain more model making experience building the destroyer.

K9 is now my priority build project underway.  I will probably continue my existing build thread so as not to confuse things, but will cross refer here where Nick Albion and myself can help each other by getting our heads together and share experiences.

For my “To build a K Class submarine” thread see . . .
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29160.50

Bob K

raflaunches

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 03:46:30 pm »

Hi everyone

No pictures this week as I have been busy once again, hopefully next week I will upload some more. 
I have been studying the plans though and decided on a few mods to my original ideas about the hydroplanes, my original idea was to build them from plastic card because they were not going to work at this moment in time, but after looking at the dimensions of them I thought it would be wiser to make them from brass, don't want them to snap off too easy- my steering and the boat's is not super brilliant and accidents can happen!l (hopefully not too many references to the Battle of May Island made :embarrassed:)

Bobk mentioned to me that he got his 4inch, 3inch guns and dive planes (from a M-class sub) from the Caswell dive units website but for all my effort I can not find them on the website.  Are they no longer available or am I looking in the wrong place? I would be very grateful for any help.

Regards

Nick B
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.