Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Re: MY NEW PROJECT....Another lifeboat or two!  (Read 110144 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MY NEW PROJECT....Another lifeboat or two!
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2013, 11:58:26 pm »

cheers, Raaarty............I've found one.......the other will  turn up sooner or later, lol {:-{ {:-{

coastie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:21 am »

don`t want to teach an expert how to suck eggs but do what I do about 18" down the cable I`ve taped my chuck key to it so it always handy and it saves me losing the dam thing.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:16 am »

cheers coastie.........think I'll tape it to a big orange float........may be I'll find it next time,  {-) {-) {-) ........mind you it did give me the excuse to clear a load of crud from the floor........cleanest it's been for years........... %% %% %% %%

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »

As the planking on these lifeboats (and all british wooden lifeboats for that matter) was diagonally planked

Just being pedantic for a change... Maybe all the wooden motor lifeboats, but some of the earlier sailing lifeboats, especially in the Norfolk and Suffolk class, were clinker built, like the Alfred Corry in Southwold and the St. Paul at Chatham.

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:47 pm »

being pedantic, andrew, I didn't think I needed to go through the whole history of the british lifeboat build method when I made that statement.......yes, of course most early lifeboats were clinker, because they were built basically as modifoed rowing skiffs and boats/punts.......I should have clarified that from around 1890, most, if not all, were "carvel" double diagonal planked.

and as I was talking about the two I am making............there was no clinker building there at all!! {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:50 pm »

Just being pedantic for a change... /quote]

%% %% %% %%

and what do you mean!!!   for a change??

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #356 on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:44 am »

Your'e like that double act you two
Eric & Ernie
One lives near Morecambe and the other is nearly Wise

Dave  :}

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #357 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:21 am »

Your'e like that double act you two
Eric & Ernie
One lives near Morecambe and the other is nearly Wise

Dave  :}

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2013, 07:58:58 pm »

The amazing thing about the chuck Neil was not that you had one, I suspect you have more than one, but that you could find it in YOUR shop. You must have really cleaned up. As for a description of you, no dictionary with that description in it has been written yet.( good job too)Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:33 pm »

just lets say..................my workshop looks lived in.............. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »

I thought it might be out of, Mick B.
Mick B.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:17 am »

yeh but WHAT lives in it in the dark places?????

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2013, 08:44:04 am »

ha ha......you laugh but I found a hedgehog hibernating in there one year, lol.........no wonder I'm itching {-) {-) {-) {-)

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2013, 05:49:26 pm »

It's difficult to say what colour the insides of the bulwarks should be. From examples I've seen, on early boats, (possibly only 19th century boats) everything in the boat was painted white. This can be seen on James Stevens No.14. Moving on, the three post-1920 Norfolk and Suffolks seem to have varnished gunwales, with all boats after them also being varnished rather than painted.

In the case of Watsons, virtually all I've seen photos of have varnished gunwales and natural timber decks.

But unless you have photos that show definitively what it should be either would be okay. I think the earlier the boat was built the more likely it is to be painted white, so you could paint the sailer white and varnish the motor boat.

Andrew

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #364 on: February 22, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »

While on the subject of colours,I was TOLD this morning that on my 1866 Pulling boat the oars on one side should be painted a light blue colour,and the other side is white.I couldnt argue because I dont know,but I wouldn't have thought boats THAT early would have had the different coloured oars?
sorry to hijack your thread Neil,but it might be of interest to you also?
Cheers,
Mick F

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #365 on: February 22, 2013, 06:58:58 pm »

Could be. I'm unsure of when the coloured oars were introduced. It could be that they were carried over from boats before the RNLI was formed and just adopted by the service. Who was it that told you? I don't think there's many people who'd know unless they'd done a lot of research. Stick with the way you've done it unless they have proof they should be different.

And they'd most likely be the same colour as the hull, not just a light blue.

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2013, 08:40:26 pm »

It's difficult to say what colour the insides of the bulwarks should be. From examples I've seen, on early boats, (possibly only 19th century boats) everything in the boat was painted white. This can be seen on James Stevens No.14. Moving on, the three post-1920 Norfolk and Suffolks seem to have varnished gunwales, with all boats after them also being varnished rather than painted.

In the case of Watsons, virtually all I've seen photos of have varnished gunwales and natural timber decks.

But unless you have photos that show definitively what it should be either would be okay. I think the earlier the boat was built the more likely it is to be painted white, so you could paint the sailer white and varnish the motor boat.

Andrew

cheers andrew..............now, just to contradict slightly, but one can never go purely on a model.........the original photos of the sailing model that I put on the post right at the beginning was a contemporary build of the boat by a crewman so it is rumoured and dates back as a model to the 1920's when the boat was on station at Fleetwood and it shows black bulwarks/gunwales..........so I am completely in aray as to what to do, but I do take your point on the motor boat being varnished.

I also look at the William Riley of Leamington ....and she is totally varnished and natural..............but was this restored for show or to original???

and then again as you say the Cemaes, Anglesey lifeboat that was resored a couple or so years ago has, as you say, white gunwales/bulwarks???

I just don't know.

neil.

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #367 on: February 22, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »

The William Riley isn't that old... She was on station at Whitby from 1919 to 1931. Photographs of her taken during that time don't show the interior but you can see the bulkheads were varnished. I see your point about the model though. If it was built by one of the crew then the colours are probably correct.

Still. If you have proof that says "it was like this, at this point in time" then you should do that, if you have no hard evidence then that's where modeller's licence comes in. Pick whatever looks best. Mess around changing colours of photographs in Paint or Photoshop until you find something you like.

Andrew

(This is why I like the old boats - lots of research, lots of variety)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #368 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:30 pm »

Mess around changing colours of photographs in Paint or Photoshop until you find something you like.

andrew........how dare you swear at me??? {-) {-) {-) {-) ..........that's like telling me to do brain surgery on my pet goldfish.....................I wouldn't have a clue............will have to get me tracin' paper and painting by numbers out if I want to do that %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2013, 07:55:07 pm »

Neil,I know that photographs DO lie,but the photos are showing some of the planks to be most of the length of the boat? Have you actually cut them to scale lengths,and the photos are not showing the joints.I like the way you have used the resin and paint combination,it is already showing up well.I think I will try using that as what I have been doing is rubbing a black ball point pen along my planking edges,and it certainly does not show up as well as your method.The Master again teaches his willing pupils!
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2013, 08:03:50 pm »

yes Mick,

they do run the full length where not interupted.......I checked with Andrew ( heritorasphodel ) some while ago about the planks on B.A.S.P. and he said that they ran the full length where possible for strength, and on my plan it shows this as a feature too.

Neil

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:26 am »

Neil you just never cease to amaze me, the ideas & methods that you come up with has my jaw on my chest(no smart remarks Dave, Norseman)This thread is a joy to watch, thanks, Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2013, 07:52:50 am »

Neil you just never cease to amaze me, the ideas & methods that you come up with has my jaw on my chest(no smart remarks Dave, Norseman)This thread is a joy to watch, thanks, Mick B.

Just old age ,plenty of years of thinking and experimenting  and a little experience, Mick   %% %% %% %%

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2013, 08:22:08 pm »

:-))    What a nice finish you've managed there sir.

What did you mean by  'mouse'.  Am I correct when I think of a triangular rubbing block ?

Cheer

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:52 pm »

ooh !!  they're all electrified.

There was me thinking you wrapped sandpaper around a triangular block and exercised your muscles.     {-)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.