Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry C does some turning & milling and builds a new steam plant.  (Read 92794 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry C does some turning & milling and builds a new steam plant.
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »

The thread runs in a slotted brass bush attached to the underside of the slide. The slot gives the impression that it's possible to squeeze the block and thus tighten it up. That goes against the grain with me so, if anyone out there knows better, I'd be obliged if they'd tell me. Remember it's a Taig/Peatol lathe.
Jerry.

Is it not possible to make your own replacement? with a tighter tolerance.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 08:25:26 pm »

4 thou back lash I wouldn't worry.Just wait till its an 1/8 then buy a new nut
cheers

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 01:22:05 pm »

Just make sure you wind the cross slide well back and wind back in to eliminate the backlash.

:-)) Ian

Nice valve by the way
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »

4 thou back lash I wouldn't worry.Just wait till its an 1/8 then buy a new nut
cheers

You're close to the mark as it happens. I stripped down the cross slide mechanism to clean and lube it. Turns out that the dome nut on the graduated wheel is a lock nut which locks the wheel on to the threaded bar. By slackening the locknut I could screw the wheel a little more onto the screw before locking the nut. A bit like adjusting cones on a bicycle wheel hub. So backlash now 1 thou.
Jerry.

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:07 pm »

That is good news. A nice fix at no cost
Good luck

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »

So, dial gauge arrived on time. It's a bit bigger than expected and will take some getting used to articulating the arm. First job was to strip and clean the 3 jaw chuck. I put 1, 2 & 3 spots on each jaw and on the body nearby for ease of re-assembly. Once stripped down I gave all a good clean in petrol, dried, greased and put it back together again. There was a small ding on the centre rear face in way of the mounting screw. I removed it with a file. Then cleaned and lubed the thread.
    Next job was to true up the gripping faces of the soft jaws in the chuck. To do this I put a 1P coin in the chuck and gripped it with the hard part of the jaws. This ensured the chuck is loaded up. I then marked the gripping faces of the soft jaws with magic marker  before running the boring tool through and removing the smallest amount from the jaws as shown by the marker. Put a 3/8" tap in the chuck and dial gauged the ground shank and got half a thou run out. I don't have a parallel test bar so I shipped the Jacobs chuck on the tail stock sliding centre, loaded the tap in it then put the dial gauge articulated arm in the 3jaw so that I could run the tip of the gauge around the taps shank. This showed that the tailstock was 5 thou out horizontally. I reset it but was unable to measure vertically as the gauge won't fit underneath the tap. To try and check it I turned a one off centre, left it in the 3 jaw without disturbing it then brought the tailstock centre up to it and visually it's a tiny bit high which means I need to shim the headstock but I'll see how I get on with the next valve.

Today I made a 180 deg inline valve. The spindle, sleeve, nut and wheel are exactly the same as for the 90 deg valve so I'll just write about the main body work.
1) drill a 1/4" hole through some 3/8" hex bar across the flats, centred 5/8" from the end. Measure, mark and centre punch the hole centre then drill through. (I used a large ish pillar drill and started with a small pilot hole and worked my way up to 1/4". It still ended up off centre a bit and I think I need a Taig milling vice to fit the milling attachment as the drill is too big)
2) turn down the hex to 3/8" dia. for 3/4"
3)centre drill the face then drill a 5/64" hole through to the 1/4" hole.
4)drill a 7/32" hole, 3/8" deep and finish hole with a D bit to 1/2"  (I don't have a D bit so I used an end mill to get the bottom flat)
5)tap the hole 1/4" x 40 tpi 1/4" deep.

Put the body to one side now and turn to the inlet/outlet tube.

6)put some 1/4" round in the chuck, centre drill, cut a 1/4" x 40tpi thread in the end.
7)drill a hole 3/32" to a depth of 1/2". (this is the inlet side).
8)part off at 1"
9)reverse the part in the chuck and repeat the threading.
10)drill hole 3/32" to a depth of 13/32" (this is the discharge side).
11) degrease, wire wool and flux both pipe and body.
12)drive the 1/4" pipe through hole across the body, even each side.
13)solder together. (I used soft solder not silver, your choice.)
14)re-drill the 5/64" hole in the body, through into the centre of the inlet pipe.
15)freehand drill an angled 5/64" hole adjacent to but clear of the centre hole into the discharge side of the pipe. (Be careful doing this. The original dimensions specified a 3/32" hole in the body centre and into the discharge pipe. When I free handed the last little hole, It wandered into the centre hole and I ruined the piece!!).

The rest is as stated, the same as the previous valve.
I don't use graphite string in the top gland but instead found that the smallest imperial O ring in the last set that Lidl sold is perfik.
Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »

Nice work Jerry  :-))

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 10:02:55 pm »

Watching with keen interest ,nice work O0

John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:33 pm »

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying myself. Lots of experimentation and puzzles. It's really satisfying when all things come right and the bad noises stop and everything comes together and metal starts flying sweetly. Am even getting engineering type aromas in the workshop. Makes a nice change from woodwork. I've always resented the fact that I was never allowed to do woodwork AND metalwork at school. Kind like cowboys fighting over sheep and cows. I did three years woodwork at school and really, all we ever made was a bedside lamp. If I'd done the same amount of metalwork probably would have ended up with an ashtray. If I think back the only thing I did at grammar school that's been any use to me was Latin and I was crap at that! Nautical school was different all together.
Glad your watching and interested.
Jerry.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:49 pm »

I also did woodwork at grammar school, it didn't do me much good either.

The only thing that helped me in my chosen career was maths - and I failed that! So, I ran away to sea at 16 and learnt to be an engineer, never looked back since! Learnt that maths much later!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 08:08:10 am »

I had the same choice at my Grammar school, they could not schedule woodwork metalwork and technical drawing on one timetable, any 2 but not all 3, so I did woodwork, and technical drawing, I did make a table loom for my mum in woodwork, and I have had a full career as a draughtsman. but I still enjoy doing metalwork, and using my little unimat 3 lathe to make stuff. woodwork I did to O levels, but took my technical drawing to A level.
One of the best things my woodwork teacher ever did was when I messed around in class I got detention - lunchtime s spent in the woodwork shop, sanding work. after a weeks worth of lunchtime detentions, I never stopped going to the woodwork shop at lunch times, turning wood bowls, and making stuff right through, I do remember we made wooden boxes with strings to make some sort of musical instrument, though I don't think we got to bring them home.
I was lucky in that for 3 years the school didn't teach latin, so I missed that - a good thing because I am hopeless with languages.
Grendel

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »

I only went to a secondary school, They didn't have dyslexia in those days only stupidity. So I was put to the back of the class & forgotten, bottom of my class when I left. But in woodwork I did make a mahogany piano stool with  a box under for the music, still have it today 61 years later. Starting work as an apprentice carpenter I was sent on day release to technical collage & was immediately top of the class. Completing my city & guilds in 1957 (when is was a proper qualification), & higher national certificate the following year. Never used these certificates as I was self employed at 18 &retired at 55.  Still can't sppel when I get tired. Never had any metal working until 3 years ago. My latest project & the paddle engine top left.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 06:23:08 pm »

Over the weekend I've been making a displacement oiler. I started off on the main body of the oiler made from 1/2" round.
1) cut a piece 1 7/8" long.
2) drill 1/4" hole through from side to side, centred 3/16" from end.
3) put in £ jaw chuck and centre drill, then drill 11/32" hole to a depth of 1 1/2". (Original design called for a 7/16" hole but don't have the taps and dies for that, only got 3/8" x 40 tpi).
4) with boring tool remove as much of the inside of the body as possible down from 1/4" from the top.
5) tap 3/8" x 40 tpi in the top 1/4".
6) turn piece round in chuck and centre drill.
7) drill 5/64" hole through to cavity.
8 drill a 1/4" hole 3/16" x 40 tpi. for drain hole.
9) turn down end to 0.300" for 5/16".
10) used compound slide to put 30 dreg chamfer on the step.
11) used ball turning tool to radius the transition ( could have used a file but wanted to try it out). Had to put the piece in the Jacobs chuck to avoid fouling 3 jaw.

That completes the body.
Jerry.   

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »

Next piece is the cross pipe.

1) using 1/4" round 1 3/16" long, centre dill and leave a cone.
2) drill and tap a hole 5/32" x 40 tpi 5/8" deep. This is the needle end.
3) drill through 5/64" hole.
4) turn down end to 0.244" for 1/4".
5) cut 1/4" x 40 tpi thread for 3/16".
6) reverse piece in chuck and turn down to 0.244" for 5/16".
7) cut 1/4" x 40 tpi thread for 5/16"

That completes the cross pipe for the moment.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 07:00:44 pm »

Next is the filler cap.

1) Used a short length of 9/16" round and turned it down to 1/2" for a length of 1 3/16".
2) drilled a 2mm hole across the bar centred 1/8" from the end. I used the milling vice in the milling attachment for this operation.
3) put the piece back in the 3 jaw and turned it down to 1/4" for 0.200"
4) chamfered the sharp edges.
5 ) turned down to 3/8" below lip for 3/16" and part off. Turned piece round and put in Jacobs chuck then cut 3/8" x 40 tpi thread the chamfered edge with file.

That completes the cap for now.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 09:45:37 am »

I'm sorry for the delay in writing this up but other , non-modelling type things cropped up.
There are just the needle(metering) screw, the drain screw and some tidying up to do. So, for the metering screw:-

1) load 1/4" round in 3 jaw.
2) turn down end to7/64" for a length of 3/16".
3) taper end 30 deg  using the compound slide.
4) turn down remainder to 0.154 for a length of 3/4".
5) cut 3/32" x 40 tpi for length of 3/8".
6) allow 0.200" for the screw head and part off.
7) drill a 2mm hole through head and solder 2 mm brass rod in head.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:11 am »

And finally, the drain screw.

1) from 1/2" round, knurl end for 1/2" length.
2) turn down end to 1/4" for length of 1/4"
3) drill blind hole 5/64" to depth of 21/32" (0.655").
4) leave 3/32" of knurling and turn down to 3/16" for 7/8" length and part off at 0.761".
5) turn piece round and put in Jacobs chuck, ( only 1/4" to get hold of and I have found small work slips in 3 jaw when cutting a thread).
6)  turn down end to 1/8" for 3/16" length.
7) cut 50 deg taper using compound slide.
8  mount in milling attachment and drill 5/64" hole through tip, clear of taper and making contact with centre blind hole.

That's all the parts made and all that remains is to solder the cross tube into the body then drill a 1/6" hole through the cross tube, in centre of body. I used a center drill to put a small countersink in the top of this hole. Fit gland nut and o-ring onto metering screw and install into cross tube. Put a fibre washer on cap and screw it and the drain screw on. I also made up a locknut for the other end of the cross tube. A quick polish and voila:-
Jerry.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »

Jerry,
Well done ,  but please issue a warning that dark glasses are required to view your images.

George;.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:05 pm »

Looks great but still have concern with the use of soft solder
Cheers
John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 05:58:00 pm »

I made up some sight glass fittings for 5mm glass but wasn't happy with them and have decided to remake them and go for 8mm which I hope will make a more reliable level indicator.
        I ordered all the stuff to make the boiler from Blackgates Eng. the other day. The very savvy lady called me back to say they'd run out of all the big tube and cast phosphor bronze round that I need and I'll have to wait 2-4 weeks for it to come in. There must be a lot of boiler makers out there eh? Still, the rest of the stuff is here so I've plenty to get on with. I got some 8mm 20g tube from a plumber for the fire tubes. It's in a coil but no problem to get straight again. Somebody tipped me off about some 3ltr bins in Tesco but when I got there I found the only ones near were brushed aluminium but then the Memsahib spotted some s/s desktop swing-bins in Home Bargains for 3 quid each so she got two. They look to be a perfik fit and are seamless. Will make very nice smoke boxes. Joy!
         Nephew, Ben lent me some V blocks, drill vice and marking tools. A friend at the lake gave me a marking out plate? They are apprentice pieces made in the mists of time by a friend of his and are really nice. The large blocks were still covered in thick wax preservative. They will inspire me to perfection every time I look at them. There were also several pairs of parallels. There is some surface rust on most of them so I've rigged up an electrolytic de-ruster out of the battery charger and a solution of washing soda with a couple of old sds drills and chisels for anodes. The first bit has been cooking at <1 amp for 24hrs and is nearly done. The beauty of this process is that it doesn't harm the object.
          I've also made a start on the regulator for the steam plant. Picture shows the top half. I don't have an index device yet so drilled by eye in the 4 jaw chuck drilling through to what will be the bottom half so at least the screws will line up. It's a bit of a Horlicks really and unfortunately this means I wont be able to rotate the halves to make 180deg or 90deg outlets but I haven't drilled for the inlet and outlet pipes yet so may be ok. There will be two inlets in the top half, one for steam from the boiler and one for the oiler thereby cutting out a fair bit of pipe work and making a composite unit. Can't see why I didn't think of it before for the first plant.
         That's me for a bit, Thanks for watching.
Jerry.

wrongtimeben

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:10 pm »

Flippin eck Jem, you move quick!

With the electrolysis, is it the strength of the electrolyte that determines the current draw?

Ben

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 08:15:14 pm »

Hi Ben, I'm not sure but I think it's more to do with surface area of the piece and the anode. Probably the build up of gas bubbles restricts current flow as it did in the old Leclanché cells.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2014, 08:22:54 pm »

I continued machining the parts for the regulator. After parting off the top I faced off the bottom without removing it from the chuck. Then I used a 1/8" centre drill to make a 1/16" blind hole to locate the head of the valve spindle and finally turned the locating boss. I parted off the bottom and mounted it in the milling attachment and drilled the steam outlet hole and then drilled the counter-bore for the outlet pipe before soldering it in. The final job on the bottom piece was to drill four small holes through the boss, into the steam outlet pipe. The first hole the valve will uncover is 0,75mm dia., followed by a 1.2mm dia. then a 1.4mm dia and lastly a 1.6mm dia. The total cross sectional area of the holes is a little larger then the x sectional area of the bore of the steam pipes. The idea is to get more progression/control then I have on the single hole I presently have on S.L. Wears regulator. The keen eyed amongst you will notice that holes 3 and 4 ran into each other but when the valve faces are lapped together, it shouldn't be a problem.
       Next I turned my attention to the valve spindle. I used a length of 1/4" round and turned down the main shaft, then the head, parted off and turned it round in the chuck, before turning it to 3 diameters. I removed it from the 3 jaw and put it in the 1/4" Jacobs chuck which I put in the jaws of the milling vice,( the flat on the back of the chuck ensured the spindle was perpendicular). I then milled two flats on the second diameter which will locate in a corresponding slot in the valve itself. I placed the valve I'm copying on top of a blank I had previously, (not shown here), milled the slot in, and scribed round it. Using the bench grinder and a dremel I ground it down to shape.
        Back to the top, bored it out to a good fit on the boss of the bottom leaving a small boss around the spindle hole to locate the wide part of the conical pressure spring. I've yet to source the spring. It forces the floating valve face onto the face of the bottom boss.
        I loosely assembled all the parts and added the oiler. It's more compact and does away with some pipe, unions and lagging. Anybody know any reason it won't work?
Jerry.

wrongtimeben

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »

Looks great Jem. Will you be able to test it on the wear plant?

Ben

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 01:11:38 am »

Hi Jerry following your regulator build as I like the lubricator and steam control in one but can you please give me some more detail on the valve and also what retains the spindle in the slot I realize there is a spring to hold the valve against the face so I am assuming the spring will be a larger diameter than the spindle maybe I've missed something if so please excuse
Cheers
John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.