Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new kit...Not overly impressed!  (Read 11568 times)

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
Re: My new kit...Not overly impressed!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:38 am »

Hi,

At least the ad states:

The hull is made from thin plywood and Jelutong wood which is easy to shape.

Regards

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 07:25:23 am »

Ooh...thanks Neil, I hadn't spotted that one. On my watch list...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 08:13:55 am »

Ooh...thanks Neil, I hadn't spotted that one. On my watch list...

:-)) :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 09:14:09 am »

have you seen this rich........   

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Model-Kit-Radio-Controlled-Paddle-Steamer-/261914307405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfb4f2b4d
It could be the exact same kit, the "radio control" reference might cover the notion that, with enough persistence and extra parts, it could be made to work and have a radio fitted.
Nowadays we think of a kit as being a set of formed parts rather than a collection of raw materials sufficient to build the structure.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:19 pm »

No Malcolm............that is actually a proper kit as all PBM kits were..........I built their Alfred some years ago which was used as a plug and advisories for the Mountfleet models Albert tug when Frank was first setting out.........good easy kits with all parts either pre cut or printed out, and easy assembly too.........sadly no longer available.

think the PBM stood for Patrick Blunt Models.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 12:07:30 pm »

Correct, Neil...the PBM paddler is (was) a totally different animal to the Forest Classics one. It's longer to start with, and was a well made kit..my first one went together very easily, and sailed very well. I was hoping this one would, but...well, you know.

It's on eBay now...and I'm after a Graupner Glasgow.
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 09:40:09 pm »

Ah so - two kits of a similar subject from two different ideas of what a kit is.  These days we tend to expect a kit to have a good proportion of preformed parts and at least have the sheets pre-printed.  While a box containing the needed raw material is technically a kit, it does fall a bit short of present day expectations.
I can understand the frustration of a drawing and a couple of planks as I have a few kits in the waiting list that largely comprise printed styrene sheets and I have much difficulty figuring which side of the rather thick lines I am supposed to cut to.  No big problem with real scratch building off a plan, but somebody elses' marking out....
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 10:04:45 pm »

Correct, Neil...the PBM paddler is (was) a totally different animal to the Forest Classics one. It's longer to start with, and was a well made kit..my first one went together very easily, and sailed very well. I was hoping this one would, but...well, you know.

It's on eBay now...and I'm after a Graupner Glasgow.
I've always fancied one of those rich, but to be honest, I'd never get round to building it................thinking of giving up scratch n selling all my tools once the ferry and the steam lifeboat have been finished,..........fancy buying an old BSA A10 and annoying the neighbours on a Sunday morning  when they suffering hangovers..................well they annoy me when they come in at 4.30 am, bladdered and arguing and wake me up...................nowt like the sound of a parallel twin in a drive to make the head throb, lol

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 10:53:40 pm »

Good taste on the bike front Neil  O0   :-))

With regard to the 'expectation' of what constitutes a kit these days, unfortunately the younger generations (with very few exceptions) wouldnt have the first clue as to how to build a model from a plan and a bundle of wood.  It would appear that the fathers today do not have the patience or skill themselves to teach their kids as our fathers did.  I well remember my father teaching me to build a Kiel-Kraft rubber powered model aircraft when I was 8 or so.

Today, I believe that if you want to stand any chance of selling model boat kits to the next generation, then they have to be almost fool-proof.  That means laser or cnc cut parts, well cast  mouldings, extensive drawings of almost everything and complete step-by-step instructions.  Whilst us 'older' enthusiasts can probably get by with a little less info and maybe use our noddles a bit more to figure things out, the younger set just want to get going as soon as possible - hence the rise in RTR models; nautical, cars and planes.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 12:52:54 pm »

Paddler kit is now SOLD
Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 07:32:01 pm »

I sense some sort of inverse sales technique going on here!  8)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 07:48:27 am »

I sense some sort of inverse sales technique going on here!  8)

Eh? You've lost me, Martin...mind you, it doesn't take much nowadays.... :embarrassed:
Rich

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 12:03:22 am »

Good taste on the bike front Neil  O0   :-))

With regard to the 'expectation' of what constitutes a kit these days, unfortunately the younger generations (with very few exceptions) wouldnt have the first clue as to how to build a model from a plan and a bundle of wood.  It would appear that the fathers today do not have the patience or skill themselves to teach their kids as our fathers did.  I well remember my father teaching me to build a Kiel-Kraft rubber powered model aircraft when I was 8 or so.

Today, I believe that if you want to stand any chance of selling model boat kits to the next generation, then they have to be almost fool-proof.  That means laser or cnc cut parts, well cast  mouldings, extensive drawings of almost everything and complete step-by-step instructions.  Whilst us 'older' enthusiasts can probably get by with a little less info and maybe use our noddles a bit more to figure things out, the younger set just want to get going as soon as possible - hence the rise in RTR models; nautical, cars and planes.

Attitudes like this are probably why the average age of the model boat fraternity is 65-70. Kits aren't cheap and its not unreasonable to expect something that of a decent quality. If other hobbies can manage it then why not boats? People in full time employment don't always have time to spend hours semi scratch building parts off a plan. Some people enjoy building and some operating and there shouldn't be a stigma to either. As one of the "younger set "I like both. I can't help thinking the reason so many boats are left in kit form gathering dust is because they're badly designed kits with poor quality parts.

For the record is built a Kiel craft balsa frame glider when I was a nipper (with some parental help), but not everyone has the opportunity for that, surely we should aim to make the hobby more accessible not less. Rant over.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 03:08:00 am »

"another one here rich........like buses {-) {-) {-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-CLASSIC-P-B-M-MODELS-EDWARDIAN-PADDLE-STEAMER-KIT-/281715284770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41978a1b22"

Neil,
That's the one, was a nice kit to put together, and with injection moulded paddlewheels.
cheers
 :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.