Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Models Irene  (Read 53372 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Art of Models Irene
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »

I have returned. No one wants to make miniature hinges then. I will need larger ones for the wash ports later. The wash ports on Irene are of a rare type hung on the forward edge not the top.  How are they kept shut? this is where me job as a carpenter comes to the rescue. If the bottom hinge is farther out from the frame than the top a door will rise slightly as it opens, this will also tend to close the door. or in this case the wash port, & that is how it was done.
While I was away I realised a mistake. West country roller reefing as on Irene has to have a parallel boom, so the paint brush handles sacrificed for nothing.
The dolly winch, three different  types, can see Irene has the cast iron type. before I went away I made a kit. First finding suitable gears ( have a box full, all second hand). Turn two brass rings cutting off a section. Super glue sections together & drill the holes. Heat them up to release the glue, that's why there black. Soft solder the bits together and paint. Black at the present but will have to change to green, the traditional  colour for iron work on deck, black on mast iron work.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

Placed the deck fittings, just so I can see how she will look.
Finished the dolly winch, now the correct colour. Held down with self tapping screws, the two forward will now have slots filled, they are filed square to make them more authentic. The aft pair hold the secret hatch down, so the slots will remain, they are square though. The front of the hatch slots under projecting planks.
I am always working on more than one job at any one time. Lantern lights for the accommodation & fixing down the deck house. Details tomorrow may be as I am bowling.   

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2017, 05:12:18 pm »

Cheers for the heads up on the post Hammer, I hadn't realised you had one on the go as I don't check this R&D forum. Still I have caught up from page one and its looking like another epic build! I'd be interested in the hinges build, I have a couple to make for my drop down doors in the bow of my current build.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2017, 02:34:36 pm »

No trouble Brian, is your build here?
Hinges. Cut a strip of brass shim approximately 15mm wide length depending how many hinges are wanted.  Next cut a 1.5mm outside diameter tube 10mm longer than the shim. This is so solder won't capillarate  into the tube. Apply the flux and fix down on a thermal builders brick, using fire cement. Small pieces of silver solder are placed next to the tube, not to much. Soft solder is no good as it will melt when grinding the groves. I now use a small lathe to grind the groves, Dremal mandrill & disc. But I have done it by hand with a "Dremal" to a larger scale. Being more accurate in the lathe, if the tube is uppermost the grinder will bend the shim slightly allowing the finished hinge to close together tighter. Cut the shim to the size required,  last photo marked ready. Fit a dress makers pin into the tube cut off the end and secure with super glue (gel type only on the end of pin).

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2017, 02:51:20 pm »

Sky lights they would be lantern light on a house. Finished, the aft light slots in to the roof can be removed to screw down deck house. Finished the motor winch shed. Matt varnished the deck & the fittings above. Of course the deck on a working boat was not clear timber, it would be painted with ant thing to hand, Lead paint mixed with old engine oil a favourite. But no one likes that on a model. Under coat on the hull grey, brushed on that way small imperfections can be filled.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2017, 10:11:55 pm »

Silver soldering the hinge......my example of that pencil torch you show is about as useful as a soggy box of matches on Guy Fawkes night.... {-).....I don't know how it could solder anything  >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2017, 08:59:20 am »

I've used my wifes baking blow torch in the past, those things you see on the cookery programs. The damn thing has more heat energy than my big diy/plumbers blow torch! My build is up a few forums, its the blue ship in my avatar, stril barents. But its come to grinding halt for quite a while - lots of seemingly unsurmountable problems that need to be overcome all that the same time. My own fault for wanting to make it all operational.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:50 pm »

Right again Derek, I don't silver solder using that small torch. I had just finished soft soldering parts of the dolly winch. The needle point flame allowed me to solder with in 1/2" of joints done before.
Brian I know the problem, I very often get a idea in the middle of the night.
Put the 4 jaw in the lathe turned spigots on the stations & Samson post, cut off with razor saw. 50 sanctions + a couple extra. No problem fixing the bowsprit held the Samson post & bowsprit together drill a hole through, fit a brass rod. The problem I do have is the rails. The main rail is quite low, but the topgallant rail is unsupported by the sanctions. Just resting on a single plank very weak.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2017, 02:21:14 pm »

Oh dear, there always has to be trouble in a build, lets hope its the only one. When I was rubbing down the under coat & filling some imperfections, I noticed resin from the inside had run into the thread on the prop shaft. I have tried to scrape it out with a point but cant shift it. I cant get a die on to it without cutting a large part of the rudder post away. Another option is drill it out & start again. But drilling out brass encased in wood no. But last night I had a cunning plan, use that little blow torch, (the one Derek & Brian don't like) & set fire to it. So Monday out in the garden with a fire extinguisher. May be posting a pile of ashes next week.   
Any way I have painted the stanchions blue, stuck to carpet tape to stop them blowing away from the spray. I made a gauge to drill the holes for them allowing for the planks.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2017, 05:02:28 pm »

Had a day in the shop today as no racing. The burn was successful the resin gone from the thread & the bearing holder screwed on. Can get the motor back in soon.
Cut the rail to fit the deck plus the length forward & aft to fit.
Painted the hull black & the ply I will be using for the bulwark  planking cream.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2017, 02:13:28 pm »

Replaced the motor, rudder & drop keel then had a floatation test. Evan with 2 batteries in the bow, 2 large sail arm servo and the steel keel, a lot of lead required to bring her down to the waterline.   Gave another coat of black, also put the zinc protection plates on the bow. Paper soaked & stuck with paint. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2017, 03:23:32 pm »

As she was launched yesterday, so made proper a stand. Just visible in photo 2.
Started on the rail, using PVA glue this time as need time to get it right.
Chain plates, trying to replicate the drawing. First cut strips of brass on bandsaw.  Soft soldered a 1mm inside diameter tube to the ends. Notice fire cement holding tube in place, tube longer than joint to stop solder entering tube. Started to leave a gap between each strip, but they need to be tapered, so not necessary. Bind the deadeye to the tube with copper wire. This allows the deadeye to swivel.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »

Sorry got a bit confused with the pictures. Tried to delete one of the twin just added another & deleted no2. Hear is photo 2. Grand & great grand children tomorrow, so have to keep out shop .

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2017, 09:12:50 pm »

Hey west country neighbour! She is coming along really nicely. It was interesting to see your method of joggling and that it fits with other methods I have seen, so yet another tip to add to the memory.

Now I have learnt that materials to be soldered need to be very clean, I am enjoying the odd bit of model engineering I am doing.   

Pond weed is your enemy

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2017, 04:11:29 pm »

Finished the handrail apart from a bit of sanding & varnish.
drilled all the 1mm holes in the chainplates OK I broke the drill after 10, but rubbed it on the grinder
believe it or not it drilled the remaining 6.
The metal work on the bowsprit made, just have to remove & paint black, after etching primer.
Measure the bowsprit where band is wanted, drill a hole in a brass rod to that size. Turn down the out side  until I think its thin enough & part off. Make the small rings by rapping brass wire around a small rod, several more times than the number of rings required. Cut down the centre of the rod with junior hack saw ( a tip hold in the vice & use the jaw as a guide). Soft solder onto the bands & the dolphin striker. The gammon band (in silver ) is just a pattern for next time.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2017, 09:37:23 am »

Having really pushed on in the last Two & a half months. It will slow down now as the outdoor bowling starts next week. Not much to report anyway making the metal fittings for the mast & painting, will keep me busy.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2017, 03:41:11 pm »

Same here. After enduring a damn cold winter where its been too cold to be in the craft room which is unheated. I just begin again and the weather has gone from winter to summer in 3 weeks, totally missing out Spring. So its all outside living now  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2017, 10:35:56 pm »

RGY....in Australia we have a pass time called Barefoot Bowling at our many Bowling clubs......this is to encourage youngsters and families to join in & make a fun day in the sunshine with a lunch at the Bistro...[and a beer]

The only problem I encounter is my 10 & 7 YO grandsons seem to better my score every time  >>:-(

I know you will accept my Pre Paid apology for the deviation off the plotted course  {-)

Looking forward to continued progress.... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2017, 12:04:27 pm »

Derek, its fine, with sail the wind makes a ship deviate often. Any post is most welcome even from you. {-) {-) :} %) No you know I love them really.
Brian, I am ploughing through your POSH venture build what a lot. We haven't had an winter this year in Teignmouth. Fifteen minutes of snow gone in sixty seconds & two frost so far. We have a micro climate here on the English Rivera, OK its not Spain not twenty miles up the road ether. Photo of one of our palm trees eighteen feet high at last measure. The low windows are into circular & chop saw room.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2017, 04:03:13 pm »

I did manage to get something done today, before the grand children arrived, staying the night. Clamped some bulwark planks on & fitted one chain plate. Notice the bulwarks are stepped back in from the hull. Three inch planks on the hull & one inch on the bulwarks. Although the stanchions are tennoned into the cover board, the tennons are clear of hull planks.  I have tried to replicate this, not many do.
Put it all together just to inspire myself.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »

Chain plates fitted on one side, glued & pined.  The arrow indicating the string used to line plates exactly to each shroud. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2017, 10:13:48 am »

I have fallen into the trap of building without a plan. Over scale the chain plates scale 9" wide there coming off, I hope!! Along with the hand rail. :embarrassed:

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »

And the bulwark planking all off, the glue sticks to metal, wood & paint. Luckily paint don't stick to ether that well.
 After the destruction thought I better make something. So made two double blocks. Had to use a magnifying glass to turn the sheaves on the lathe, they rotate on a dressmakers pin. Will be oiling them not varnishing ceasing up. 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2017, 01:05:51 pm »

The patience of Job to make those Hammer. When I did my sailing trawler I worked out how large the sheaves should be at 1:48 then looked around for commercial items that were close enough %)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »

Patience Brian, I think you know better, I am up to page 8 on your See Hunter, looking at the winch build, that's patience. Like you say each item is a job on its own, finally hopefully fitting all together makes a model.
Only made two blocks, need two triples, should be no problem, but need thirty smaller singles. But I have a cunning plan. For next week or when ever.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.