Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37544 times)

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2019, 02:38:33 am »

Hi Jerry nice job there and if you need small hinges spec cases and specs are quite small and mostly brassCheers
John

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2019, 07:04:08 pm »

God ide   :-))   and Nice when you get cold  feet. 

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2020, 11:32:29 am »

I’ve been away from this job for a while isolating but things aren’t too bad in Canberra. I rigged up an air supply from our compressor. I’d already made a pair of individual manifolds for air running and fine tuning of engine. The engine is a little tight and took 45 psi to get it started but after four hours she was quite happy at 24psi. I’ll give it a few hours more tomorrow then move the air to the reverse manifold and run in in reverse.
I’m giving a bit more thought about piping the engine to the boiler so I’m writing a list for Blackgates Engineering. Hopefully next month I’ll have all I need to get the steam plant running as it should.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0htH8mj-Jki5KqQQus1DmoYjQ

Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2020, 01:35:58 pm »

Nice to see you back Jerry, and good to hear you are staying safe.  Will you be able to get out and about for a maiden voyage?

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2020, 01:48:21 pm »

Hi Jerry glad that your ok and good to see you back at it  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2020, 02:17:41 pm »

Hi Greg and Mark, Canberra is not really like any other place. It’s similar to a Garden City/Town, few if any traffic jams, many suburbs each with own services and shops, nobody living on top of you. Most suburbs have their own “oval” for sport. We have everything including a velodrome, cricket(watched) my first test match here ( First for Canberra too). Population 380,000, 175/sq kM. To date 106 cases C-19 with 3 fatalities in ACT. It’s  been a difficult 6 months. First we had smoke then bushfires close enough that we evacuated to the coast which had already burned. After the fires it was floods. Our flights were cancelled and we were given a voucher for the indeterminate future. We feel safe here and flying back to UK would increase our risk though if Scotty could beam us up life on a narrow boat would be safe but we couldn’t move about except to get water fuel and empty toilet. It’s turned all our plans upside down and will take 18 months to get our routine back on track. It also gets very cold here in winter but warms up most days so I can put in a bike ride every day.
    As far as steaming the launch on completion, they don’t have the 3 bar/ltr rule here and seem a bit over regulated, test certificates and the like. I hydraulicly tested it myself to 120 psi and the working pressure is 60psi but of course I’m probably not competent to do it myself. I’ll bet the boiler tester hasn’t got a certificate of competency like what I have.
I’ll probably sell it and let someone else worry about it.
All the best to you.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2020, 09:59:03 am »

A few phone calls followed by a trip to a scrapyard in Fyshwick produced a manky bit of 50mm copper pipe work and two brass core plugs which they call welsh plugs hereabouts. The guy wouldn’t even let me buy him a drink.

I don’t know about you but I can see an oil trap in there somewhere.
Not sure what solder held it together but my 2kW burner wouldn’t look at it so I cut the middle but out. The copper was really quite thin due to corrosion inside but a night soaking in Bakers fluid cleaned it up enough to trim on the sanding station which I also used to cut out two 2 1/4” end caps out of brass sheet.

The core plugs were overkill and anyway were domed when flat more convenient. Drilled one cap for three 1/4” x 40 too bushes
Which I soldered in place. Added a few fittings and need to find some 1/4” brass strip so I can cover it with timber cladding.

Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2020, 11:07:49 am »

Nice job that Jerry and very inventive too  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:42 am »

I’ve finished the de-oiler/ condenser. I cut a load of Tasmanian Oak strips to length. I made them thicker than necessary and cut a chamfer on the sides of each strip then attached them to the copper tube with polyurethane glue. Once dried I rounded them off on the sanding station using the same center I cut the top and bottom plates with. A bit of mahogany stain then varnish.

I’m pleased with the result.
Once dry I’ll put a top and bottom 1/4” brass banding.
Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2020, 01:18:14 pm »

Lovely work Jerry.  Just as we have come to expect from you!  :-))

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2020, 04:26:53 pm »

Hi peeps. I’ve been busy since last post on pipework on the steam plant. Delayed waiting for parts from UK. The virus is causing problems for suppliers and postal services alike but I’ve learnt to be patient and so far nothing has failed to get to me. PM Research in USA supplied one of their beautiful whistles in a day and a half which is nearly beam me up Scottie time. They sent it by DHL which is OK with me cos they pay my Blue Funnel Pension so it keeps it in the family so to speak. I’ve kept with the horizontal/vertical convention eyeing one small “swerve” and used a pipe bender on the feedwater heater to clack valve as no way could I do it with elbows. My idea when deciding on heater bush positions wasn’t thought through properly. To be fair, you need to look quite hard to pick up on it. I did some research (cribbing) on pipe lagging. I couldn’t face doing so much string/polyfilla and paint so asked Derek Warner how he did his. Turns out he used the same method only better. He reminded me it was Mark T who used silicone pipe. A few PMs later and I was clued in on Silicone pipe. Mark said there were two types, one very expensive and one cheap. He used the expensive stuff, so I bought the cheap stuff. 20’ of white tube. Sad to say when it arrived it mad mor neutral than white. Anybody tried painting silicone? Well I Googled the subject and guess what, you can paint it. But first I painted the pipe before fitting the silicone which was an improvement but not sufficient. So I painted the silicone. The trick is to use denatured alcohol (methylated spirit) as a key/primer. When dry use an oil based primer followed by oil based gloss. The pics will tell the story. It’s taken a month once I got bits from Blackgates but I ordered short on the elbows and a 90° valve but they arrived yesterday so I should finish tomorrow. There is a tradition in British Ship building and pipe fitters that whosoever gets there first gets a straight run. So the plumber gets in first, fits the enginroom wash basin so the boilermakers follow and have to bend a 20” steam pipe around the plumbers 1/2” pipe. This is my take on that. Servo to regulator blocked by pipe. Last job today was to lower the forward support on the boats stand prior to a good clean and final varnish. Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2020, 04:46:51 pm »

Well Folks, what can we say?......

1. that lace tablecloth whiteness certainly matches the engine+piping+insulation whiteness  :-))

2. maybe I have missed a post, but did not notice that steam powered boiler water makeup pump?......tell us more

Keep safe Jerry......Canberra is so very close to Victoria & the border is manned by   :police:

Derek

PS......

1. you are certainly correct with the Shipbuilding Code of Pipe Laying ........[a very costly example only to reroute such work to save removing the engine to get a 1/8" diameter tube out  >>:-( ]

2. we see the boiler gauge glass is clean......is Canberra water really that pure?  :o .....or are you using Woolworths bottled drinking water?
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2020, 07:37:04 pm »

Hi Jerry that looks great mate and who would have known you can paint silicone  :-)) :-))  that’s given me a few ideas. Next time we meet up I’ll sort you out some decent white silicone too so that you’ve got some spare.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2020, 07:51:51 pm »

Bonjour Jerry,
Great reaalization indeed, and I especially appreciate the whistle  :-))

Furthermore, I discover a coupled steam pump, I can't wait to see this plant operating on steam as I have never seen one in a boat. I hope the boiler wimm be efficient enough to feed it and the machine. 
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2020, 02:28:56 am »

Hi Peeps, this is the feed pump machined from a set of castings and plans from Blackgates Engineering. I made it on the Jerry does some milling and turning thread.
https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/ZDyM3
The boiler was on the same thread has only been filled twice, once for hydraulic test and second for test of safety valve after completion.

Derek were pretty safe here in Canberra only gets dangerous when I had to take my eldest to hospital in your town. As soon as the Queensland border opens on the 10th we’re off house hunting in Brisbane so a road trip looms.
Mark, hope to see you next year if we get home. Will always stop in Brum and Black Counry Museum.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2020, 02:36:13 am »

Feed pump

Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2020, 04:21:29 am »

OK thanks Jerry......found it ...[grey matter issue  >>:-(  on  my part].....I now remember the Bogs style reversing gear ......... Derek]

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46477.0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2020, 08:46:30 am »

Today I got two coats of varnish on the stand. I’d forgotten how I’d planned for charging the receiver battery pack so had to remove boiler and engine on tray as I did remember the battery pack is in the compartment under the engine. The charging connection I found behind two access panels in the cockpit side. I’d left a hole in the panels for the lead but somehow the plug had disappeared inside the hole. I retrieved it and it is now accessible as originally designed by removing the cockpit seating unit. The transmitter is powered by 4 AA cells which measured 6V so put some new ones in. Everything works as planned wteo the the steering which 1, is reversed, so I’ll adjust the transmitter and reverse the rudder servo and 2, the servo chatters if rudder is out of the water. Application of some physical resistance tames it though.
I decided on a name and had some brass (anodised aluminium) name plates for the bow engraved and two build plaques engraved for the stand. Name might have been Covid-19 but settled on S. L. Canberra. The 2020 build date will be enough to remind me of bushfires, floods and plague!
Next on the list is the canopy followed by attempting to emulate Bernard BB’s treatment of set decorations and equipment. Of which he is the Master!

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:04 am »

I had a bit of bother the other day. My transmitter is a Spektrum DXe 4 SPM1000. I fitted the servos (3 micro) yonks ago and all was working ok then. However, when I’d got rudder, regulator and whistle all connected up the rudder servo needed reversing. Now, the TX/RX, servos were dead cheap and had no instructions so googled it only to find no mention of my TX but on reading other Spektrum gear info it appears mine needs connecting to a computer to tit around with the settings. I did find later that by configuring the sticks in a certain manner on switch on I can access the channels and reverse them. There were 7 different channels 1 to 7. Now I thought it was a 4 ch set so was a bit puzzled. The channels have aircraft names but not numbers. I used rudder for my rudder, elevator for regulator and (this is where I went wrong) what I thought was flaps switch but in reality was throttle cut out for the whistle lanyard. As I said all working but when I reversed the rudder I actually reversed the throttle which resulted in a lot of noise and the whistle lanyard pulled bar tight. After powering down and cutting the lanyard, I removed the offending servo, stripped it down and found the shaft for the first gear pinions had broken and not repairable. Obviously I was making a wrong set of assumptions  so looked for help. I visited the local model flying club on Sunday morning looking for advice. This turned out to be Heath Mackey who also has an interest in steam. He insisted on visiting me and turned up 1 1/2 hourly later. He told me where I was going wrong and sorted everything out. Now I use ailerons starboard for whistle. I hadn’t allowed for sensible access to servos, connections and RX so had to do a bit of rearranging and prep for future problems.
 I ordered 6 spare servos and to prevent future damage I knocked up some relieving springs modelled on yachty mooring springs for those who can’t moor properly but I made it out of a Biro spring and two safety pins.

So, hull and steam plant all boxed off so now I’ve started thinking about the canopy. I want it to match the sheer I built into the hull and also match the deck camber, so it was off to Bunnings for the makings. Got some balsa wood and some hardwood dowelling, then to Office Works for some white card to make a plan out of. Marked the card with centre and athwartships lines, funnel and whistle positioning and cut out a rough, oversize oval. I stuck the cut card on top of the coaming and ran a pencil round onto the card.  Removed the card and cut around one centimetre from the line.

Next I laminated two 6mm square lengths of hardwood and used masking tape to hold its shape while it dries.

On Wear I covered the canopy with calico which I painted to replicate painted canvas decking but on this model I want to use dolls house corrugated iron if I can find a cheap source. I love the use of corrugated iron on Aussie housing.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2020, 09:47:34 am »

Continued work on canopy. The card carries the plan but not pinned down rather supported by ridge and free form. It’s also sacrificial. Cut, sanded ends and fitted beams and outer ends. Nearly finished framing. I’ve used some kind of tropical hardwood 6mm squared cyo. Tomorrow will complete frame and add 6mm square balsa strip to top of beams and sand down to form the camber. If all goes well I’ll plank up the top with 1/8” balsa planks and finally use sanding station to define the coaming. I bought 5 metres of cabinet, iron on vinyl edging strip in dark wood effect.

Sunday we start our road trip to Brisbane for some house hunting for our daughter and son in law.

Jerry

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2020, 07:25:02 pm »

Jerry-- Nice to see this model in such detail. The boat looks great and all your detail is amazing. (It's sort of aground in the lawn photo)  The curved canopy is very cleverly done with the arched ridge. Makes the work we both did on Wear-like flat canopies look a lot simpler.

If you are willing to import from USA, here's a dollhouse supplier who has a selection of metal roofing materials

https://www.dollhouseheaven.com/ROOF-PANELTIN12X16-P1622.aspx

I finally saw that I never clicked "Notify"  on this post, so I missed quite a bit recently. You been busy!

-Carl

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2020, 08:35:34 am »

Thanks for that Carl. It’ll work out very expensive that way so I’ll think about making my own out of a couple of foil turkey roasting tins. I’ve just got to find a piece of ribbed decking plank to scribe the ripples into the foil or something similar like an old fashioned washboard.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2020, 11:18:13 am »

We got back to Canberra on Friday after our road trip to Brisbane absolutely knackered. Postie had been with my new 80mm three jaw chuck and half a dozen micro servos. The chuck was really good quality but supplied with three cap screws which I could not use as no space behind the lathe spindle flange so I swapped out the studs and nuts from the original mismatched chuck. After cleaning and lubing it fitted perfik with only .0015 runout.
I removed the damaged rudder servo and replaced with one of the new ones and now all working.
Then I carried on with the canopy. First job was to shape the camber into the top of the frames. Just done freehand with my palm sander. Next I covered the top with three sheets of 1.5mm balsa. When dry I trimmed the edges on the sanding station. Finally I removed the poster card from the bottom and cleaned up top and bottom with sandpaper. A couple of coats of Rustoleum aerosol white primer. I’m a big fan of this brand. We painted a new, marinised Ajax Diesel engine for a Newquay lobster fishing boat with it in 1955 and it still looked like new 30 years later.
Next a trip to Bunnings for 2.5 M of ribbed wood decking and Woolworths  for 10 foil roasting trays to make up some scale corrugated iron sheets. No off cuts available unfortunately as I only needed 9”. Cut the bottoms and sides off the trays with scissors and rolled them flat with a rolling pin. Then I cut 36 slightly over width blanks to form into corrugated iron sheets. I cut a 9” length off the decking plank and 3/4” off the end off that piece. I cut 1 1/2 ribs off the small piece to use as a starter for forming. Using the bigger piece as the die I placed one sheet on the die with the left edge of the sheet lined up with the left long edge of the die and held it in place with two fingers I formed the first corrugation on the left edge of the sheet then continued from left to right until all corrugations complete. This allows the sheet to  “shrink” in from the right. Once all completed I replaced the small piece wth the Luger piece and rubbed it back and for the over the sheet until all corrugations were formed to full depth. Turned over the sheet and reformed and repeated the process until sheet lay flat and true. 
By the end I was forming one sheet a minute. Tomorrow I will clad the top of the canopy with the sheets. It was easier to do than describe.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2020, 12:26:45 pm »

I got the first side done today. Slow work. Securing with Polyurethane gorilla glue. Held down with masking tape.

Jerry.

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2020, 06:54:41 pm »

Nice work Jerry, very clever fabrication.  I haven't seen photos of this type roof but I can tell one thing-- when it rains that's a very noisy roof!  Thanks for sharing

-Carl
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.