Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid vaccination  (Read 73626 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Covid vaccination
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2021, 12:10:44 pm »

I watch the news quite regularly, mainly the BBC for most things, sky only for the odd thing like the latest vaccination numbers and Al Jazzera for the tag line at the bottom in which it shows the number of cases and deaths globally, its now climbed to just short of 190 million cases and just over 4 million deaths, but the real numbers dont seem to be anywhere near these - when india was in the news a month or so back the number of cases really never increased and neither did the deaths in the tag line, China and india will never share the real numbers who died as it is cover up, and we all know how the chinese love to feign insulted when you question them - there basically habitual liars.

The wifes company went through the majority of the last 18 months with one fatality (but that was due to not being able to access normal services in the NHS, not covid) and 3 or so confirmed cases until last week when virtually half the staff have either caught it or 'pinged by the NHS', all report it is not the people they normally associate with that gave it them, but 'others', funny how it seems to be at the same time as football celebrations or commiserations depending on when they caught it.  >>:-(
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #551 on: July 15, 2021, 06:38:23 pm »

The problem is that a majority of the public do not understand what a vaccine is- most people seem to think that it’s a cure- very wrong indeed. The amount of lads I work with who don’t get that it’s not the cure just something to lower your chances of suffering the effects of the virus is unbelievable. It’s like most don’t remember a thing from their biology lessons about smallpox and how we prevented it becoming a killer as it was before.
You can still contact the virus- the vaccine is effective at preventing effects so you don’t get hospitalised from it. We will have to live with this virus forever like we do with flu and all the other nasties. We survived the 1919 Spanish flu epidemic and we will this one- in fact more people died from that virus than this one so we have that to be grateful for I suppose. We are just getting better at developing vaccines quicker than we did.

Here here Nick,I'm still donning my HAZMAT gear.

Bintur Ellenbach

RST

« Reply #552 on: July 15, 2021, 07:01:12 pm »

I was surprised to read on the paperwork provided after my second jab it also states that transmission is reduced after second dose (in addition to reducing the severity of you do catch it)  This was first I've seen that statement so far.  Perhaps that's the Scottish system only?

...At the moment it's pretty evident those we have in power have never done a risk assessment for anything.  You can NOT use the term "common sense" in a risk assessment -it simply doesn't exist and can't be used as a mitigation.  I'd they are relying on "common sense", then frankly, god help us all.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #553 on: July 15, 2021, 07:03:21 pm »

I was surprised to read on the paperwork provided after my second jab it also states that transmission is reduced after second dose (in addition to reducing the severity of you do catch it)  This was first I've seen that statement so far.  Perhaps that's the Scottish system only?
It's in here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56904993 , even the first dose makes a difference.

RST

« Reply #554 on: July 15, 2021, 07:51:46 pm »

Thanks Phil, that may have been one BBC article that slipped my radar.  I only noticed the statement on my second bit of paperwork, not the first but maybe they updated it after it was printed, or maybe they didn't want people to think they were OK after just one jab.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #555 on: July 16, 2021, 04:35:06 am »

I would rather have a free Coffee.  %%

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #556 on: July 16, 2021, 07:32:35 am »

........................  I only noticed the statement on my second bit of paperwork, not the first but maybe they updated it after it was printed, or maybe they didn't want people to think they were OK after just one jab.

I am feeling cheated.  %) . We didn't get any paperwork with our second dose other than the sticker on the other side of the card that we got with the first dose.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #557 on: July 16, 2021, 08:02:11 am »

Vaccinations administered here in Australia are recorded on the Medicare data base, and can be viewed on line. Once logged in to your Medicare account your immunisation history is available. Additionally, in the case of the Covid shots, once you have had two you can download a Digital Certificate as proof. We have our certificates on our phones, and I also printed paper copies.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #558 on: July 16, 2021, 09:44:26 am »

I didn’t realise that our Government has actually captured my [recent] immunisation history
If I attended an Airport with flight immunisation requirement/restriction, a scan of my medicard card has the proof……….

Pretty amazing…….I am impressed :-)) ………

[Only issue is, my June 2020 Influenza jab was at a Pharmacy, & despite the requirements ….no record was made]

Is this the digital certificate you mention Peter?, or is there another link >:-o

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #559 on: July 16, 2021, 11:16:02 am »

You can opt out of reporting any health issue to the government.   My current cancer treatment is from an American pharmacy company and they do not want anyone else to have the information, even another department in the same hospital.  >:-o

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #560 on: July 16, 2021, 11:26:20 am »

Yes, you can opt out Brian, but we decided to stay with the system. It means that no matter where you are in Australia your medical history is available to any medical practitioner, great if you should become ill away from home. Some people objected because of privacy concerns, but our thinking was that our medical history is not a state secret.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #561 on: July 16, 2021, 11:29:45 am »

Derek, that is the immunisation history, there is also the digital certificate that verifies that you have had the covid shots. It’s a separate document.

Peter.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #562 on: July 16, 2021, 07:30:58 pm »

41 Deaths in Scotland covid given  as primary or contributing factor. deaths occurred by july7 All had had tested positive  after 2nd jab at least 2 weeks or more before.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #563 on: July 17, 2021, 08:45:19 am »

41 Deaths in Scotland covid given  as primary or contributing factor. deaths occurred by july7 All had had tested positive  after 2nd jab at least 2 weeks or more before.

Very sad but inevitable. Vaccine is never a guarantee but rather it just improves your chances.

We are very nearly at the beginning of Boris's great experiment. Fingers very firmly crossed.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: July 17, 2021, 10:17:47 am »

It rather looks like Johnson has lost his gamble - just as on every previous occasion. Lots of talk about a further lockdown now...  <*<

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #565 on: July 17, 2021, 11:14:33 am »

There's been talk about further lockdowns since day 1. There are almost as many options being bandied about as there are " experts " so who knows, or at this stage cares, who's right. I'm just going to go with my rules for me!
 :kiss:

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #566 on: July 17, 2021, 11:22:09 am »

CAN WE END THIS PLEASE . . . this is a model boat forum NOT a political/medical site . . . thank you .
Bill

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #567 on: July 17, 2021, 11:26:40 am »

Never ceases to amaze how many medical ex spurts crawl out of the woodwork when disasters strike. Fell foul of this when after applying for a Blue Badge, how many there were employed by the local council in the Transport and Education department requesting me to verify a long standing breathing problem.
  Even those in the medical profession can't agree, Thalidomide, MMR, etc. makes one wonder how we manage to survive. Not a Boris hugger, but like  social services, police and other official organisations, they're damned if the do and damned if they don't. Sadly, those unable to use the quarter of a brain cell they possess, in many cases, rather than use common sense ( a commodity in very short supply nowadays) are "Guided" by the media pot stirrers.

For my weekly running the gauntlet to the local supermarket at 7.15am., I will still carry and wear my first line of defence, a polycarbonate screen which according to the experts at the start of the saga is 95% useless.

Regards  Ian.   
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #568 on: July 17, 2021, 11:32:18 am »

Yes, Bill, this is a model boat site, but this discussion is on the Chit Chat board where anything (within reason) goes. COVID-19 is something that affects everyone, so it’s reasonable to expect that people want to talk about it. As long as posts are not offensive or inflammatory I see no reason to curtail the discussion.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #569 on: July 17, 2021, 11:36:43 am »

And it is having a very direct effect on model boating activities and whether shows go ahead etc.

Colin

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #570 on: July 17, 2021, 11:36:52 am »

Yes, Bill, this is a model boat site, but this discussion is on the Chit Chat board where anything (within reason) goes. COVID-19 is something that affects everyone, so it’s reasonable to expect that people want to talk about it. As long as posts are not offensive or inflammatory I see no reason to curtail the discussion.

Peter.
we'll have to agree to disagree . . .
Bill

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #571 on: July 17, 2021, 11:48:59 am »

we'll have to agree to disagree . . .
Bill

IF you think that, just decide not to read this particular thread.  "SIMPLES"
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #572 on: July 17, 2021, 11:49:22 am »

It’s not a question of agreeing or disagreeing Bill, if you look at the Forum home page where all the various boards are listed, you will notice that the title says “Chit Chat, almost anything you like on here”.

Peter,
Moderator.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #573 on: July 17, 2021, 11:51:35 am »

What are model boat clubs doing about the change in regulations? Personally I see a big difference between standing socially distanced around the pond and indoor group meetings etc.

imsinking
If I am not interested in a topic I don't read it.

This topic has taught me a few things and corrected some of my thoughts as well a providing a vent for my concerns. I welcome the opinions of a moderate and generally sober group of individuals. Over the last 18 months I have regarded this as one of the most valuable topics on the forum. Just my opinion. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #574 on: July 17, 2021, 11:58:20 am »

Outdoor activities should be fairly safe but not so much at a crowded show so it is important to get infection rates down. However, at a model boat show I think you can be pretty sure that the vast majority of those present will have been double vaccinated by now given the average age of the attendees!

Colin
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.